!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 90839 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #600 on: December 08, 2016, 11:59:03 pm »

you can also use the chassis from the Farish GWR railcar as a direct fit ( modern version). you may need to remove the window strips and replace them with Glue'n glaze.

IMHO the Japanese chassis are better as they have no bogie sideframes which is realistic for French 'Unifiée' Autorails which have a bogie with a sort of inside frame which means the wheels show and are not hidden by axleboxes.

The problem of visible wheels has been a perennial problem for those of us trying to replicate French Autorails (and even some locos)  realistically in N for the past 40 years (which is why the appearance of the Japanese chassis in recent years was a boon to the various artisans and kitbashers making resin SNCF Autorail bodies.

Another possibility recently appeared is a Japanese chassis with a motor at one extremity. I haven't needed to try it out but if it fitted, it would be ideal for a Picasso which was famous for having the motor in the main body space at one end under the elevated cab, leaving the rest of the body free for seating and passengers. This would be a great way of being able to replicate the famous 'observation' and of a Picasso.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:03:54 am by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #601 on: December 09, 2016, 12:43:02 am »

Incidentally there is a fairly easy way of improving the appearance of the Del Prado Picasso.

That is to sand down the raised beading lines along the roof join which are overscale (although they are visible on the real thing and quite prominent (especially when the upper body is dirty.

This mod seems to help (not sure how...) make the inaccurate side window shape less obvious.

If you look at pictures of the real Picasso (I have about 200 taken over the years...) the sliding baggage area door rims are much heavier than the roof ribbing although on the Del Prado the are roughly the same

European railway expert

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #602 on: December 24, 2016, 02:20:44 am »
So I went shopping in Tokyo's swanky Ginza district and came back 30 quid poorer in the company of this Roco BR143:

Roco BR143 (23276) by Rail Squid, on Flickr
which was sold basically as an unboxed poor/non-runner but after a wheel clean and a couple of laps on the layout at home restored itself to full working order.
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #603 on: December 26, 2016, 02:32:45 am »

which was sold basically as an unboxed poor/non-runner but after a wheel clean and a couple of laps on the layout at home restored itself to full working order.

Isn't it amazing how many retailers short-change themselves. I had a similar experience donkeys years ago buying a Fleischmann V100 in about 1976. The shop even had a test circuit and they could have had the thing running round prior to me even visiting the shop and thus would not have had to sell it to me as a poor runner!

European railway expert

Offline GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #604 on: January 02, 2017, 04:22:10 pm »
So, a class 218 has arrived. This is the Minitrix model with a 5 pole skew wound motor and twin flywheels, similar to the chassis under my 217, which is the smoothest running loco I have. I'd have to say the new 218 isn't as quiet as the 217, but not bad. Certainly smoother than the three pole motors Fleischmann still fit to their older models even when they're re-issued.

It's in Epoch IV livery with the roof mounted exhausts. I don't really want these, as they weren't fitted until 1985, but they seem to be pretty well glued in, unfortunately. Any tips on removing them without ruining the roof - a pretty fundamental consideration given that we tend to view our models from above! So that's a class 216 (Brawa), 217 and 218 (Minitrix) in the fleet... just need a 215 for freight services now...  :worried:

Oh... and a few coaches found their way into the parcel as well...  :)

An Epoch IIIb D-Zug set to run behind my V160 (class 216) or, in due course, an 03 light pacific...
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #605 on: January 03, 2017, 12:40:21 am »

It's in Epoch IV livery with the roof mounted exhausts. I don't really want these, as they weren't fitted until 1985, but they seem to be pretty well glued in, unfortunately. Any tips on removing them without ruining the roof - a pretty fundamental consideration given that we tend to view our models from above!

That's ironic.

I have a couple of  Fleischmann 218s that are 'without' the rabbit exhausts and I would prefer them to be 'with' exhausts.  AFAIK Fleischmann exhausts pull out fairly easily . Trouble is - if you remove yours will it leave an 'inaccurate' hole in the roof?

European railway expert

Offline GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #606 on: January 03, 2017, 09:36:33 am »

It's in Epoch IV livery with the roof mounted exhausts. I don't really want these, as they weren't fitted until 1985, but they seem to be pretty well glued in, unfortunately. Any tips on removing them without ruining the roof - a pretty fundamental consideration given that we tend to view our models from above!

That's ironic.

I have a couple of  Fleischmann 218s that are 'without' the rabbit exhausts and I would prefer them to be 'with' exhausts.  AFAIK Fleischmann exhausts pull out fairly easily . Trouble is - if you remove yours will it leave an 'inaccurate' hole in the roof?

They appear to be stuck onto the standard exhaust "hole", with a small peg (which is the size of that hole) that protrudes underneath through the exhaust. In order to fit the exhaust moulding, the "peg" is a slightly different shape (smaller) to the rectangular section of the rabbit ear exhaust. I've tried pulling, and had a look at pushing from below. If they were to come out cleanly, I think the right size moulding exists underneath, and you could gladly have them... but they don't want to move and I suspect that any more force will damage either the roof or the exhausts, or more likely both :(. I think it can see some glue residue around them, suggesting they aren't intended to come off easily.

Somewhere I've seen spares for those who want to add them, but at the moment I can't find where (I thought it might be Eichhorn Modellbau, but he doesn't appear to have them).
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #607 on: January 04, 2017, 01:52:47 am »

Somewhere I've seen spares for those who want to add them, but at the moment I can't find where (I thought it might be Eichhorn Modellbau, but he doesn't appear to have them).

Minitrix and Fleischmann web sites both have spares shops, if you know the part number you need.

European railway expert

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #608 on: January 18, 2017, 02:58:07 pm »
Bless Yahoo Auctions Japan for providing me with this very reasonably-priced rake of Minitrix DR "Y-Wagen".

Mintrix DR Schnellzugwagen by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(click on the link for the proper picture, the forum software has squished it up)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:59:51 pm by railsquid »

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #609 on: January 19, 2017, 01:01:24 am »
Bless Yahoo Auctions Japan for providing me with this very reasonably-priced rake of Minitrix DR "Y-Wagen".

Minitrix has done a great job on the DR coaches recently. I've got a couple.

Which manufacturer's Ludmilla have you got?

European railway expert

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #610 on: January 19, 2017, 01:41:47 am »

Minitrix has done a great job on the DR coaches recently. I've got a couple.

Which manufacturer's Ludmilla have you got?

This is evidently a 3 coach rake 3 teiliges Set "Interzonenzug I", Sonderserie Märklin-Händler-Initiative, "Y-Wagen" (15766 K) from 2006, unboxed alas but in excellent condition.

The Ludmilla is from Brawa, another local auction find (like most of my German stuff).

Offline Skizz

• Awards
« Reply #611 on: January 20, 2017, 03:24:06 pm »
This arrived from Germany recently:

Whilst it's a start set I'm not new to N gauge modelling, I'm coming back to it after a couple of decades. The stuff I have dates from the 1980s and somewhat shows its age. A trip to Switzerland recently rekindled the interest I had in Swiss and continental outline, so I decided to start replacing my (mainly British outline) locos with DCC models.

The start set seemed an ideal way to do this - it contains a green Ae 6/6, four wagons and a z21 start unit with a MultiMaus (the Roco upgrade that contains a router arrived today). I didn't want the Ae 6/6 to be lonely so I also bought an Re 4/4:

Initial impressions are that the Re 4/4 is the better model - I love the inertia as it slows down - I'm new to DCC so these things still impress me.

Space constraints will mean the layout will be a shelf type; terminus with fiddle yard, at least initially. I plan to run a selection of Swiss and German stock with an emphasis on earlier electric locos (especially a Crocodile!). Hopelessly unprototypical, unfortunately.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Offline ChrisWV10

• N Gauge Society Number: 19469
    • Awards
« Reply #612 on: January 20, 2017, 06:53:43 pm »
Welcome skizz. That's a nice set.  I've recently rediscovered a liking for German  stock. We lived in Germany in the late 70s/early 80s so have a soft spot for that era. (Ep iv) all those locos I could only dream of I can now splash out on! I s'pose I should put some pics up  :-[

C. :)

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #613 on: January 20, 2017, 07:08:02 pm »
Nice set Skizz, and welcome to the forum. :wave:

And how are things in the county of my birth? :)

I love the Re 4/4 by Fleischmann. I've just received the DC version in the dark green livery, 734008, from DM-Toys. :thumbsup:  I'll post photos of all my recent SBB purchases some time.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:10:45 pm by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #614 on: January 20, 2017, 08:52:47 pm »
There is a z21 hints/ resources thread here:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24531.0

It has one or two quirks ( Ie even the router pacjkage is separate!) - so not exactly a beginners kit! The gratification is delayed till the router arrives!

Also no separate programming track - but you will,have fun!
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations