!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 90174 times)

crispeb and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline GScaleBruce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #615 on: January 20, 2017, 09:30:23 pm »
Nowt wrong with a shelf layout!
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline Skizz

• Awards
« Reply #616 on: January 21, 2017, 05:34:47 pm »
Thanks for all your responses.

@Railwaygun - I had found those z21 links previously, but I appreciate the reminder as I'll need to refer to them.

@daffy - Northamptonshire's fine - we're looking after it - remembering to wipe our feet before we come in, that sort of thing.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #617 on: January 23, 2017, 11:24:54 am »
It has been a busy time for the Bank Manager lately and I have finally recorded the new purchases, though I'm struggling after loading to My Gallery to get them posted here.

Well, here goes, with the first SBB loco I have ever bought, an Re 460 in the 'Lovely' livery it carried between 04.10.1995 - 26.03.1997:

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #618 on: January 23, 2017, 11:28:29 am »
Hot on the heels of 'Lovely' came this neat Re 4/4 II:

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #619 on: January 23, 2017, 11:31:11 am »
Then to ensure good running, a Tomix Track Cleaning car I picked up from Dapol:

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #620 on: January 23, 2017, 11:38:28 am »
And I then managed to finally find a loco I had been looking for for a long time, another Re 460 that I had travelled behind on visits to Switzerland with my wife on a never to be forgotten holiday (one of many). This livery was carried between 29.10.2010 - 10.02.2014:

In my opinion it is the best advertising livery carried by the type.

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #621 on: January 24, 2017, 12:40:52 am »
And I then managed to finally find a loco I had been looking for for a long time, another Re 460 that I had travelled behind on visits to Switzerland with my wife on a never to be forgotten holiday (one of many). This livery was carried between 29.10.2010 - 10.02.2014:
In my opinion it is the best advertising livery carried by the type.

No that has to be the Migros green one (tongue in cheek). I like everything Migros because I have been shopping there for 56 years!

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #622 on: January 26, 2017, 12:24:58 pm »
The latest acquisition for the Schienenberg network of the SEB arrrived last week, a 5 car passenger car set, including Driving Trailer.  :)
These cars are each 165mm in length requiring some careful thoughts in layout planning.
Nice purchase from Neil at Scograil and at a very nice price too. Recommended seller. :thumbsup:

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #623 on: January 27, 2017, 12:20:48 am »
I assume these are Fleischmann (ex Roco) EWIV coaches plus the Fleischmann Bt driving trailer? (can't quite blow the pictures up far enough to be absolutely certain

Was the choice of five (4+1) random? If so you have done well as in the current timetable there are a few (about 5 or 6) 5 coach rakes booked in passenger service (all class 460 hauled) . In fact there is also the odd one or two fill in turns booked for 4 (3+1) sets. All booked to have one 1st and the rest 2nd class.

The shortest 'standard' booked rake is seven (6+1) coaches - there are over 100 trains a day of these.

In practice quite few of these sets are actually a mixture of EWIV and the Eurofima type (Apm/Bpm). SBB has deliberately worked on making all the coaches look uniform hence it is increasingly hard to tell at a glance (real or model!)

Apart from that there are a few 4 coach sets without the driving trailer booked for passenger trains, mostly booked Re4/4II

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:24:34 am by Gordon »

European railway expert

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #624 on: January 27, 2017, 09:43:37 am »
Yes, they are the Fleischmann models.

Photo shows Fleischmann 890184 - 2nd class driving trailer for commuter trains EW IV, SBB + 4 passenger cars, 890204 & 5, 890307 & 8. I also have a another EW IV carriage.

I did do some research and some of this led to my decision to buy the Re4/4 II as well as the 460's. But my research did not go as far as the excellent service details you have included in your post, so many thanks for those.

I shall go into the details of my thinking behind quantities of carriages in the next 'News from the SEB' on my Schienenberg thread in Layout Planning,  but essentially it comes down to the train length to layout size ratio, together with a study of a good few photos that showed the shorter length rakes you refer to are in fact used by the SBB.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:40:13 pm by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #625 on: January 28, 2017, 01:09:16 am »
Fleischmann 890184 - 2nd class driving trailer for commuter trains EW IV,

If possible I'd like us to avoid perpetuating Messrs Fleischmann's misinterpretation! (I choked on my cereal when I first saw this reference in their printed catalogue)

Some (badly researched...) on line translations /dictionaries translate Pendelzug as 'commuter train'. Of course Pendelzug actually means a push pull train, which as we know can be anything up to and including high speed intercity trains.

Pendelzug is actually more a Swiss term. The German word being 'Wendezug'

European railway expert

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #626 on: January 28, 2017, 11:42:32 am »
I see Google Translate renders 'Pendelzug' simply as 'shuttle', a term I would associate with short length, short route push-pull trains, while 'Wendezug' is given as either 'changeover' or 'turning train'. Very confusing!

So presumably, if I read you right, my Re460's hauling either the EW rake and driving trailer, or the yet to be released IC2000 rake and trailer, would be termed a Pendelzug at any length?  (I prefer that to the German term as I will be modelling Swiss.)

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #627 on: January 28, 2017, 12:29:25 pm »
I see Google Translate renders 'Pendelzug' simply as 'shuttle', a term I would associate with short length, short route push-pull trains, while 'Wendezug' is given as either 'changeover' or 'turning train'. Very confusing!
In Germany (at least Berlin) "Pendelzug" refers to a shuttle train in operation during construction work where only one track is available; the train shuttles back and forth along the affected section.
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #628 on: January 28, 2017, 01:13:05 pm »
In Germany (at least Berlin) "Pendelzug" refers to a shuttle train in operation during construction work where only one track is available; the train shuttles back and forth along the affected section.

Yes, I had noted this usage when reading an article about building the new Albula Tunnel on the RhB network. Looking online this morning it is certainly a widely used term for practically any push-pull trains, as Gordon commented. Including I note, being applied by some to the Kato Allegra three car sets I bought.

The two elements of the word translate as 'pendulum' and 'train', but together they get given numerous renditions online as each translation dictionary seems to differ from the next, though in the Swiss usage at least it does appear more commonly as 'push-pull train'.

I can well understand Gordon's irritation with the way these words get treated in translation.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:21:05 pm by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #629 on: January 28, 2017, 01:54:29 pm »

Yes, I had noted this usage when reading an article about building the new Albula Tunnel on the RhB network. Looking online this morning it is certainly a widely used term for practically any push-pull trains, as Gordon commented. Including I note, being applied by some to the Kato Allegra three car sets I bought.

To clarify, the usage I refer to doesn't imply a particular type of train, in Berlin's case it will be usually be multiple units (U or S-Bahn).

The two elements of the word translate as 'pendulum' and 'train', but together they get given numerous renditions online as each translation dictionary seems to differ from the next, though in the Swiss usage at least it does appear more commonly as 'push-pull train'.

To confuse things further, "pendeln" means "to commute" and (in German German at least) a "Pendlerzug" is a commuter train.

As with most languages, there are big regional variations in usage (Switzerland is a foreign country to me and they speak different there ;) ). Dictionaries can confuse more than they help, as you see; one thing that can help is looking up a subject in Wikipedia then looking up the German version, which might give useful clues, e.g. "Push-pull train gets you to Wendezug, which helpfully startes with: "Als Wendezug (Schweiz: Pendelzug)".
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here