!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 90174 times)

crispeb and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #585 on: October 14, 2016, 07:04:17 am »
I bet that makes a satisfying heavy loco noise going over a rail joint.
It does have a certain gravitas. Not the heaviest N gauge loco I own by any means though.
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #586 on: October 18, 2016, 12:04:04 am »
OK, not exactly my latest purchase - this Fleischmann Baureihe 210 was an auction purchase which has been languishing remorsefully for a while as it was missing traction tyres and was a very stuttery runner.

Anyway I found some Kato traction tyres which are a reasonable fit and after a few false starts it now runs pretty well for something of its age - as far as I can tell it was in production between 1972 and 1983-ish (sources vary) - and is now suitable for general use.

I had one in the 'early days' , must have bought it around 1977. Problem is that I never liked fact that Fleischmann chose to do it as a 210 not a 215, 216 or 218; the class 210s were non standard (with gas turbine) and lasted only ten years in a very restricted area, so don't realistically fit into many layout situations.

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #587 on: October 18, 2016, 01:09:00 am »
OK, not exactly my latest purchase - this Fleischmann Baureihe 210 was an auction purchase which has been languishing remorsefully for a while as it was missing traction tyres and was a very stuttery runner.

Anyway I found some Kato traction tyres which are a reasonable fit and after a few false starts it now runs pretty well for something of its age - as far as I can tell it was in production between 1972 and 1983-ish (sources vary) - and is now suitable for general use.

I had one in the 'early days' , must have bought it around 1977. Problem is that I never liked fact that Fleischmann chose to do it as a 210 not a 215, 216 or 218; the class 210s were non standard (with gas turbine) and lasted only ten years in a very restricted area, so don't realistically fit into many layout situations.
Interesting, I must read up on that. Anyway as you can see from the background in the photo, it's not exactly a realistic layout situation anyway ;).

Offline dickrowland

• Awards
« Reply #588 on: October 18, 2016, 06:55:10 am »
My 210, bought in 1973, is in bits at the moment. It has never been a good runner. I bought it while on a rail tour in Germany, in between cab rides on a Br01 and a Br23.
I should have sent it back to Fleischmann but for some reason, which I cannot remember, this never happened.
I've always suspected the power pickups but never really sorted it out. At the moment the gearing in one of the bogies 'clicks' as I rotate the wheels by hand.
The motor is good, proved by applying power direct to brush housings. The power collection problem is somewhere between the board on the top of the loco and the track!
A 218 however, bought only recently, is excellent.
I could buy a new 218 complete chassis, swap the bogie sideframes and solve the problem that way. However, these day that is an expensive option and still would not be perfect as some of the inscriptions on the body have degraded.
I agree, Fleischmann should have done a 215.
Simply renumbering to a 215 is not really an option. The ventilators are different for one thing.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #589 on: October 18, 2016, 09:36:53 am »
Come to think of it I have a "recent" 218 too (1990s?), very smooth runner:

fleischmann-br-218 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Both bought very cheaply on Yahoo Auctions Japan.

Offline Ian_S

• Awards
« Reply #590 on: December 07, 2016, 09:29:22 am »
I have an Allegra........ Just this minute arrived - Can't afford it in G Scale - so got it in N!  :claphappy:

Will be used on the mountain line I'm building

Now need to find out how to chip it for DCC....

Purchased from Model Train Plus - Great service / price - very pleased  :bounce:

Offline Notroh

• N Gauge Society Number: 25489
    • Awards
« Reply #591 on: December 07, 2016, 08:33:00 pm »
Look what turned up today http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/Smileys/NGF/claphappy.gif

20mb image hosting

print screen

Yet another Autorail - a nice bit of France for a  change http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/Smileys/NGF/smiley.gif

Happy days

Peter
My Layout: Trouve - not that far from Perdu:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31546.0

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #592 on: December 07, 2016, 08:49:02 pm »
Hi Notroh,

Lovely stuff. I am just getting into Autorails so am very ignorant. What is it and is it Mabar? Looks great, I want one for Christmas.

Must do more research  :) Thanks for posting.

Sante, weave  :beers:

Offline dickrowland

• Awards
« Reply #593 on: December 08, 2016, 06:20:40 am »
Good to see French stock in N!

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #594 on: December 08, 2016, 07:28:04 am »
That's a pretty cool looking railcar or whatever it is. Long and slender, unlike me.

Webbo

Offline Notroh

• Awards
« Reply #595 on: December 08, 2016, 11:08:47 am »
Thanks Guys

Weave - Its an X2802 from REE Modeles - not cheap! The best price I have seen is €179.00 from DM Toys or Trains160 (who still have some Mabar ABJ1's in stock at €134.00)

Your cheapest way to get going with Autorails is to get yourself a Del Prado Picasso X3800 off fleabay and motorise it with the Tomytec chassis below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tomytec-TM-17-Powered-Motorized-Chassis-20-meter-B2-N-scale-/361840447385?hash=item543f5f0f99:g:aJgAAOSwYHxWNtpc

I have done it more than once, it is really simple. You just remove the chassis from the model, remove the glazing, replace the glazing with acetate (it's thinner), cut away one of the buffer beams, insert the motorised chassis, which now sits at exactly the right height and glue back the buffer beam which will hold everything in place.

Honestly if it takes you more that 20 minutes I would be amazed, and all for £50 ish.

Peter

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #596 on: December 08, 2016, 11:27:10 am »

What is it and is it Mabar? Looks great, I want one for Christmas.

It's the Mikadotrain / REE SNCF X2800, 'toit crème' (cream roof).

This is one of the 'Série 3' and 'Série 4' batches of the X2800 models just released.

The REE 'Serie 1 and 'Serie 2' first batches issued last year were blue liveried 'modernised' X2800s

http://www.ree-modeles.com/catalogue/catalogue-n/autorails

Designated as 'Era III' in publicity, the cream roof X2800s ran until the early 1970s, so technically just also into Era IVa.

SNCF changed its livery policy for Autorails around 1970, and all units (except Picassos for some reason) received a red roof. This livery is commonly known in France as 'toit rouge' livery. 'Toit crème' continues to be the designation for the original Autorail livery even though the whole upper part of the Autorail is cream, not just the roof.

I recommend  Lionel at Trains 160 as he is a fervent supporter and promoter of French N.

http://www.trains160.com/en/11-railcars-tgv?orderby=date_add&orderway=desc

European railway expert

Offline Notroh

• Awards
« Reply #597 on: December 08, 2016, 11:41:47 am »
Gordon

I too am a strong supporter of Lionel, in fact I purchased the autorail above from him even though he was €10 more expensive than DM Toys. Why? Because that support allows him to design and supply some of the best (and almost the only) detailing accessories from French N anywhere.

Long may that continue.

Peter

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #598 on: December 08, 2016, 11:51:40 am »

Your cheapest way to get going with Autorails is to get yourself a Del Prado Picasso X3800  and motorise it with the Tomytec chassis below.

Honestly if it takes you more that 20 minutes I would be amazed, and all for £50 ish.
Peter

If you happen across the other Japanese 20metre chassis they will work too. TM 08 and TM09 used to be the 'official' ones to use but they have 14mm bogie wheelbase, so  the newer TM17 is better as the bogie wheelbase is 16mm, which is dead on scale for the Picasso bogie wheelbase (2600mm).

I'm pleased to say that a couple of my Del Prado/Tomytec Picassos worked out at much less than £50. I got one Del P for just a fiver and at the time I already possessed a few TM08 chassis purchased when the price of Tomytec chassis was much lower than it is now (around £20).   

This might sound a stupid idea, but I actually sold my 'pukka' Transmondia / Artrain Picasso when the Del Prado one appeared as I knew I would be able to amass a fleet of Del Prado ones that would all look the same, whereas the Transmondia Picasso is so rare and expensive that having two or three wasn't possible. 

European railway expert

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #599 on: December 08, 2016, 03:56:25 pm »
Thanks Guys

Weave - Its an X2802 from REE Modeles - not cheap! The best price I have seen is €179.00 from DM Toys or Trains160 (who still have some Mabar ABJ1's in stock at €134.00)

Your cheapest way to get going with Autorails is to get yourself a Del Prado Picasso X3800 off fleabay and motorise it with the Tomytec chassis below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tomytec-TM-17-Powered-Motorized-Chassis-20-meter-B2-N-scale-/361840447385?hash=item543f5f0f99:g:aJgAAOSwYHxWNtpc

I have done it more than once, it is really simple. You just remove the chassis from the model, remove the glazing, replace the glazing with acetate (it's thinner), cut away one of the buffer beams, insert the motorised chassis, which now sits at exactly the right height and glue back the buffer beam which will hold everything in place.

Peter

you can also use the chassis from the Farish GWR railcar as a direct fit ( modern version). you may need to remove the window strips and replace them with Glue'n glaze.
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations