!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 769 times)

Offline Globi

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2018, 09:54:29 am »
Hello Matt

Thank you for this.  The answer, I'm glad to say, is yes.

The best test of this is the 'inner oval', what I call the Down main line.  The end curves are Peco 'Setrack' No. 2 radius (263.5mm) and the points are No. 1 radius (228mm).  If I use the first siding, next to the main line, the effect is a 228mm reverse curve over points.  Asking for trouble, particularly with bogie coaches: maybe!  Therefore, I normally use the second, or middle, siding for passenger trains and the first siding for goods trains with short wheelbase wagons.

To answer your question as truly as I can, I have made a short film of a Great Western locomotive reversing a passenger train into the first siding!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4iztjz6dk5b5lxs/Reversing%20for%20Matt.MOV?dl=0

I'm sorry that the train appears a tad 'jerky' in motion.  It's not like that in reality and I have had this problem before.  Perhaps a better camera is required!

Best wishes.

John

Hi John,

Wow, you're actually reversing in much faster than I believed possible. Hope my setup works as well, if so I'll be able to zoom my trains about very efficiently, and Matt's DBAG won't get any fines for late running of services!  :bounce:

On a serious note, once my loco DCC socket is blanked off, I'm looking forward to some nice smooth steady slow speeds.

Matt

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2018, 12:44:57 pm »
I sure as heck hope this is the decoder, because it's out now (and unharmed)!

May need a gin now!!! :thumbsup:

Yep, that's the decoder removed.  As you can see, with the vertical socket there's not enough room to plug in a decoder so they've basically used a wired decoder and soldered the wires to an NEM651l plug.
your problem is going to be finding a small blanking plate, otherwise you'd end up having to do the same sort of wiring job from the blanking plate to the socket.

This is what you need, it's a very small blanking plate - though don't buy from here as the postage is stupidly high (though I think that is mostly down to ebay rules)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fleischmann-00664002-Stecker-fur-Schnittstelle-6-polig-NEU-/361847408708

Need to find a UK shop to get you one.

[edit]  I notice the lights are wired to the decoder - that could be a problem, usually the lights would be wired to the board with the DCC socket. It may be the lighting wiring would need to be soldered to the blanking plate.  I'll have to have a look at one of my modern Fleischmann locos with the same socket, and see how they wire the lights.
Hmm... seems not as straight-forward as I would have expected  :hmmm:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 12:59:01 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2018, 01:38:37 pm »

Yep, that's the decoder removed.  As you can see, with the vertical socket there's not enough room to plug in a decoder so they've basically used a wired decoder and soldered the wires to an NEM651l plug.
your problem is going to be finding a small blanking plate, otherwise you'd end up having to do the same sort of wiring job from the blanking plate to the socket.

This is what you need, it's a very small blanking plate - though don't buy from here as the postage is stupidly high (though I think that is mostly down to ebay rules)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fleischmann-00664002-Stecker-fur-Schnittstelle-6-polig-NEU-/361847408708

Need to find a UK shop to get you one.

[edit]  I notice the lights are wired to the decoder - that could be a problem, usually the lights would be wired to the board with the DCC socket. It may be the lighting wiring would need to be soldered to the blanking plate.  I'll have to have a look at one of my modern Fleischmann locos with the same socket, and see how they wire the lights.
Hmm... seems not as straight-forward as I would have expected  :hmmm:

Yes looks more tricky than we thought! I may have to learn to solder then ha ha. Yes any info appreciated.

Matt

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2018, 07:03:12 pm »
So... I don't have a Fleischmann BR101, but I do have other very similar models. There have been quite a variety of chassis variations over the years, the closest I can find to yours is this BR145.

Mine has never been a DCC fitted loco, you can see there is a socket with the small blanking plate but the lighting boards are fed by the metal clips which come up from the main board underneath the loco (and hence the lights are powered via the socket as I would expect).

By comparison, on your chassis the clips are onto plastic mouldings and also one pair is shorter to make room for the decoder.  Unfortunately it looks like swapping out the decoder for a blanking plate *on your particular loco* isn't simple after all. You would need to obtain alternative lighting boards like the ones on mine (and a set of clips), or do some serious hard-wiring which you'd have to revert when you eventually go to DCC and want to reinstate the decoder.

Sorry for mis-informing you, I really did expect it to be simple but it seems even Fleischmann have gone for a rather non-standard factory DCC install on your 101!

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2018, 08:16:47 pm »
By comparison, on your chassis the clips are onto plastic mouldings and also one pair is shorter to make room for the decoder.  Unfortunately it looks like swapping out the decoder for a blanking plate *on your particular loco* isn't simple after all. You would need to obtain alternative lighting boards like the ones on mine (and a set of clips), or do some serious hard-wiring which you'd have to revert when you eventually go to DCC and want to reinstate the decoder.

Sorry for mis-informing you, I really did expect it to be simple but it seems even Fleischmann have gone for a rather non-standard factory DCC install on your 101!

Thanks ntpntpntp for going through so much trouble for me! Yes, the BR145 seems a similar setup.

I forgot to mention, in running the 101 as DCC on DC, the lights didn't work anyway. So by swapping in a blanking plug I don't lose anything really. The critical thing is that the loco doesn't cause any crashes into buffers in the sidings with sudden accidental lurching.

Only thing now is to find a supplier for the blanking plug. And at least I have learnt how to remove (and consequently to install) a decoder!

Cheers
Matt

P.s. is a British product like this incompatible?
http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GF379-428&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Graham+Farish+379%2D428
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:19:57 pm by Globi »

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2018, 10:19:16 am »
So I'm making good headway with constructing the plinths/trolleys on which my layout will sit (ignore track layout - just playing with my new points which arrived yesterday).

Here is also the latest illustration of the layout plan: not sure if I should make the crossover right hand as shown (meaning mainline trains have to back up over it to change tracks) or the other way. The current configuration would give the benefit of trailing direction, however I suppose it is not very prototypical for mainline trains to stop and reverse to change tracks! If its left I'll have only left hand points on the layout, is that weird?  :hmmm:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2018, 11:03:34 am »
Well, let's be honest it's not very prototypical for mainline trains to go round and round in circles either  :D     

You could always  have a facing crossover and a trailing crossover so you can change loops whenever you want.  That's basically what I have - crossovers either end of the station area to give access into and out of the freight loops.

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2018, 11:24:45 am »
Well, let's be honest it's not very prototypical for mainline trains to go round and round in circles either  :D     

Ha ha yes I suppose you are correct! Next you'll be telling me tht German intercity trains are more likely to consist of 15 carriages rather than just 3!  :D

Playing with the points, I now realise this adds a massive dimension of interest and fun to the layout - they're great!

Cheers
Matt

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2018, 04:39:28 pm »
I've got my layout table pretty much done now (set at 90cm height). That was a job of work! Especially as I made a measuring error and had to do some re-building :-[

I had not anticipated how danged cool it is to see n-gauge trains at close to eye level when seated at the table!  :claphappy:

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2018, 04:44:46 pm »
That's looking jolly good, Matt.

Congratulations!

I agree completely with your remark about viewing height.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2018, 04:51:17 pm »
Looks really good.
Now for some modelling.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2018, 05:40:46 pm »
Looks really good.
Now for some modelling.

Thanks Port Perran and John.

I've added a second loco and got a DCC controller. It's great fun but I already had a crash! I forgot the points were set the other way and sent a loco crashing into the rake of coaches (which took a dive off the edge of the layout)!   :-[ :'(

Luckily it's carpet and I just had to clip a roof back on and re-set some wheels in the bogie. Luckily no damage done, live and learn and all that. I'm installing a safety barrier and I'll stick loads of bushes at the end of my sidings. I'll also make sure I keep the trains runing over sidings from trailing direction whenever possible.

On a brighter note, I've been using matchsticks to plan road layouts - reminds me of making matchstick towns on the carpet when I was a child!

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2018, 07:04:29 pm »
That's certainly looking like my kind of layout, Matt.

Good luck with the DCC control.  I understand that it can do amazing things.

I think it is marvellous that you are building a layout set in Germany.  When I was a boy, Model Railway Constructor was full of German layouts, but I don't see that many nowadays.  I look forward to following how your project develops.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 08:25:01 am »
That's certainly looking like my kind of layout, Matt.

Good luck with the DCC control.  I understand that it can do amazing things.

I think it is marvellous that you are building a layout set in Germany.  When I was a boy, Model Railway Constructor was full of German layouts, but I don't see that many nowadays.  I look forward to following how your project develops.

John

Thanks John - yes it's giving me a lot of enjoyment and the German scene has always interested me the most (with Swiss and Austrian close behind).

Can't believe it I had yet another rail safety incident this morning. The Federal Ministry of Transport may well have to shut down my railway operation if I'm not careful! I went and left the layout unattended for a few moments and didn't realise a loco was ever so slowly creeping backwards. I heard the ghastly sound of carriages falling on the carpet (yet again) and dashed in to look. The whole rake had been pushed off the siding yet again, on the only side of the layout with no safety barrier yet!!!!! All I can say is that Arnold carriages are incredibly robust and bouncy. Just had to stick some wheels back in again and a coupler and a roof.

I've really had enough of this, I'm going to isolate my sidings fairly close to the points. Trains will only be able to reverse in, but that is preferable to more bounce testing of expensive rolling stock.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything