Layout in a shed - The problem.....

Started by texhorse, October 29, 2018, 01:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texhorse

When you have a layout in a shed, sometimes the floor or walls will move slightly and the layout will no longer be level.  It just took three hours with a friend to get the layout 90 degrees to the walls again this morning!

It was worth it.  I only had to adjust one piece of track, and that took five minutes.  I don't have box cars that run down sidings on their own any more, and the front of the layout is no longer lower than the rear!  More supports underneath, some adjustable feet on the layout legs and a couple of brackets.

Short of a hurricane, I hope the layout stays in place now!

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

stevewalker

Hopefully I won't have this problem. My boards are on battens screwed to the shed walls and the shed sits on a 6" concrete plinth!

njee20

I imagine it's quite likely you will if it's just a single skin wooden shed...

guest311

lined my shed with 1/2 inch chipboard, screwed to the shed framing, with insulation between. then built layout frame onto the chipboard.

so far ok, where is the crossed fingeres emoji ?

The Q

My shed is 63ft by up to 16ft, on a concrete ring foundation....
Yes it's moved, both with wood shrinkage and the foundations. The perils of clay soil...

guest311

njee20

Quote from: The Q on October 29, 2018, 02:59:06 PM
My shed is 63ft by up to 16ft, on a concrete ring foundation....
Yes it's moved, both with wood shrinkage and the foundations. The perils of clay soil...

Do you call your house a shed...!?  :o

texhorse

Nah, mine's a real shed.  It's just 9 feet x 7 feet.  You guys have lodging houses compared to mine!!!

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

The Q

The big shed  I built for my EM gauge railway,  when I discovered the main station is, in 4mm scale 30ft + long...  It took around ten years to build due to awaiting time and money.. The internal built in frame work supports and cupboards should be completed this winter. There is just one board half completed so far.

There is not enough to room left in it, to put up the N gauge railway I inherited ..

LAandNQFan

The only things attached to the walls of my shed are the backscene and salvaged railway signs.   I hoped that would make the model safe from movement of the shed (insulated and lined with plywood), but then, there's the floor....  :uneasy:  As the three boards in the "U" all have electrical connectors, the layout could be removed, but I don't envy my heirs when they try!
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations