Started by GroupC, October 15, 2018, 04:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GroupC

I have just read this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45838994

Which I find very disappointing.

And then I stumbled on this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45864418

Which, especially when juxtaposed with the former, makes me feel that there is no future for mankind. And perhaps it's better that way if people think that the best use for technology is to be able to make your cat look like a piece of toast.

CarriageShed

Don't get too depressed about it. This species may well be doomed (especially with a Trumperton in charge of the biggest technological leader in the western world), but prehistory has shown that the biosphere will survive and another species will eventually become dominant enough to progress onwards and upwards. It's not all gloom (unless you're particularly fond of primitive bipeds with delusions of intelligence).

Newportnobby

It's just one of the reasons I find the media no good for my blood pressure. It struck me the BBC on Sunday and again this morning was still trying to get Sean Whatisname kicked off Strictly Come Trotting when he'd already been voted as still in the 'competition'
For crying out loud, with all that's going on in the world can't they find something better to fill a programme with?

Nick

Quote from: GroupC on October 15, 2018, 04:24:35 PM
Which, especially when juxtaposed with the former, makes me feel that there is no future for mankind. And perhaps it's better that way if people think that the best use for technology is to be able to make your cat look like a piece of toast.
I'm not sure about there being no future for mankind, but I have felt for a while that Western civilisation had entered a decadent phase. And that frequently presages a fall.

Mind you, since the  Chinese like spray painting their poodles in all the colours of the rainbow, they probably aren't exactly poised to take up the baton!
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

CarriageShed

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 15, 2018, 04:48:13 PM
It's just one of the reasons I find the media no good for my blood pressure. It struck me the BBC on Sunday and again this morning was still trying to get Sean Whatisname kicked off Strictly Come Trotting when he'd already been voted as still in the 'competition'
For crying out loud, with all that's going on in the world can't they find something better to fill a programme with?

Sadly the once-fine BBC hasn't managed to properly report the news for at least the last five years. As the son of a former thirty-year BBC employee it continually gives me the hump. Listen to any of their news broadcasts and the 'story' is different every time you hear it. BBC News is a joke that is filled with inaccuracy, half stories, and half-revealed facts.

Lawrence

Quote from: CarriageShed on October 15, 2018, 04:47:14 PM
Don't get too depressed about it. This species may well be doomed (especially with a Trumperton in charge of the biggest technological leader in the western world), but prehistory has shown that the biosphere will survive and another species will eventually become dominant enough to progress onwards and upwards. It's not all gloom (unless you're particularly fond of primitive bipeds with delusions of intelligence).

I have to admit he did come out with something the other day which I agree with regarding climate change. He mentioned that climate change could not just be blamed on mankind alone, and I agree with this. Since the earth has formed it has gone through hot and cold periods. Several years ago there was an excellent professor on the BBC news one day (before it got dumbed down) and he was explaining how it all worked and how there was clear evidence of this, unfortunately there was also one of those save the planet types who shouted louder than the professor (but said nothing really) and stole the headlines, irrespective of fact.

Obviously I'm no expert however, I fail to see how washing out my organic bio yoghurt pot and placing it in a particularly coloured bin (one of several I now have) is going to help cool the planet when China is burning more fossil fuel than the rest of the world combined (also a fact).

Having said all of this, yes the planet is warming up and this time it is about 0.8 of a degree higher than previous cycles, long after all of us are dead and buried it will go through a cooling cycle again (glad I wont be around for that). We (the collective human race) are probably not helping that is true, but I am convinced, as is Tango Trump, that these 'climate change experts' have their own agenda, which to my mind is to keep themselves in very well paid jobs.

Please don't confuse my comments on climate change with the way the oceans are polluted with plastics, something I find appalling and I fail to see why more recyclable papers cannot be used in supermarkets for example.

Anyhoo, apparently that data is all out there for anyone who wants to dig it out, the naysayers have tried to bury a lot of it or rubbish it but it is still there, somewhere.

daffy

As Private Fraser has long been telling us, "We're all doomed!"

But then the Earth is an amazing place and the roses smell wonderful.

Sniff them while you still can.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations