It's only a matter of time

Started by cycletrak9, December 30, 2016, 10:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: Bealman on December 30, 2016, 11:12:38 PM
It's all relative..... doesn't everyone know it's 10.17am on Saturday?  ;)

Damn missed it!
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Jimbo

Didn't it used to be 1181 on the telephone for the speaking clock? Or am I a bit behind the times as well?  :uneasy:
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

Bealman

Jerry:

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Well don't blink in two hours time when they let all the fireworks off in Sydney...... I won't, 'cos I intend to be asleep!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Webbo

Me too, George

Fireworks in Sydney happens every year about this time - what a bore!

Webbo

joe cassidy

For a mere £3-400 extra you can buy a Casio watch that can communicate with your mobile phone and set the time automatically :D

Best regards,

Joe

jonclox

Quote from: cycletrak9 on December 30, 2016, 10:19:45 PM
I need some help with a problem.

Does anybody know which is closest to the "right time"?

I tend to use the Casio as my reference point for setting my other watches, including a couple of vintage wind up pieces. Can someone enlighten me?
The Number 14 bus that passes our village every 2 hours is about the most accuate and never fails to be more than a couple of hours off its shedule  :angel: :angel:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Sprintex

Quote from: Jimbo on December 31, 2016, 10:46:32 AM
Didn't it used to be 1181 on the telephone for the speaking clock? Or am I a bit behind the times as well?  :uneasy:

Used to be 123 in the UK :thumbsup:

Paul

daffy

Looking up "Speaking Clock" bought both the info about the old telephone service, and an online replacement.

http://www.speaking-clock.com

It's useful as long as it's accurate, as we all need to be accarate. :D

Edit - despite its name, I've turned my iPad volume up full but can't here it saying anything at all, not even "At the second stroke it will be .........."
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Ian Morton

An Englishman in Ireland who pointed out to the Station Master that the clock on the opposite platform was not
at the same hour as the clock on the adjacent platform.

The reply was "Now sir what would we be needing two clocks for if they were to be telling the same time" :?

Jimbo

Quote from: Sprintex on December 31, 2016, 02:41:25 PM

Aha! My memory very vague! I stand corrected  ;)

Paul
'Keep it country!'

cycletrak9

Quote from: Jimbo on December 31, 2016, 02:58:05 PM

Paul

I remember when it was "TIM"

Jimbo

Quote from: Jimbo on December 31, 2016, 02:58:05 PM

Paul

:confused2: How that happen? My response ended up embedded in the 'qoute'
'Keep it country!'

daffy

Paul

If you have a BT landline, it still is 123, but now it costs 45p a minute, whereas it was free when I was a lad a couple of years ago. ;)

From Wiki- "The service was obtained by dialling the letters TIM (846) on a dial telephone, and hence the service was often colloquially referred to as "Tim". However this code was only used in the telephone systems of the cities of London, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester. Other areas initially dialled 952 but with the introduction of Subscriber Trunk Dialling it was changed to 80 and later 8081 as more 'recorded services' were introduced and was standardised to 123 by the early 1990s."
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Jimbo

Quote from: daffy on December 31, 2016, 03:02:43 PM

Paul

If you have a BT landline, it still is 123, but now it costs 45p a minute, whereas it was free when I was a lad a couple of years ago. ;)

From Wiki- "The service was obtained by dialling the letters TIM (846) on a dial telephone, and hence the service was often colloquially referred to as "Tim". However this code was only used in the telephone systems of the cities of London, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester. Other areas initially dialled 952 but with the introduction of Subscriber Trunk Dialling it was changed to 80 and later 8081 as more 'recorded services' were introduced and was standardised to 123 by the early 1990s."

Aha! That was it, I knew it had some 8s and 1s in it at some time,  :thumbsup:
'Keep it country!'

themadhippy

And if you was very clever you could dial the number on the payphone without paying  by tapping number on the hook switch,although dial a disc was much easier as that was 16
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations