Portsmouth to Luton by train

Started by silly moo, October 12, 2018, 07:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silly moo

I am asking for help from those of you who are experienced travellers.

I am intending to travel from Portsmouth to Luton on Friday next week. Usually I would travel on the train via London but since slipping on the stairs at home I have an arm in a sling and a large cut on one leg. I would like to avoid London and the underground completely for obvious reasons.  :-\

Does anyone have suggestions for a good route? Maybe travelling by coach would be better. The fewer changes I need to do the better.

Thank you in anticipation.

themadhippy

Portsmouth - Brighton,then thameslink Brighton to luton. 
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Jerry Howlett

If you do take the plunge , I think that you can still book "assistance" if you require it at the various stations.  Do you mean LUTON...  why in the *** but it is not a station with level access . It's been 13 years since I have worked at  these locations but I undrerstand if you access the internet each location will tell you what the access arrangments are.

Since Mrs "H" broke her ankle I am now also checking similar stations to see if a UK trip is viable.  Good luck

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

dannyboy

National Express do the journey, but it is 6 hours plus and £40 plus. (So there is obviously a wait somewhere). Somebody called 'Goeuro' also do the trip, but change at London Victoria. The cost is £50/60 with a travel time of around 3 hours.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

njee20

I'd change at Three Bridges, it's less hectic than East Croydon. Portsmouth service (heading to Victoria) change onto a Thameslink service (to Bedford) get off at Luton. Done. 

crewearpley40

journey time 2 hours

luton station to luton town centre a good 10 minutes walk

njee20

I've not looked but I'd be amazed if it was only 2 hours. I'd expect more like 3.

themadhippy

Quoteluton station to luton town centre a good 10 minutes walk
you must walk very slowly,now they've  knocked the bridge down so no more up and down stairs the station to town hall is about 5 mins unless you get delayed in the george 2,back in the 90's-early 2000's  that delay could cost  me several hours.
slightly off topic,but if your in luton town center on friday or saturday lunch time see if the saucy samosa  wagon is there,opposite the town hall.Best indian food for miles
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

crewearpley40

reckon a 2 and 3 / 4 hour journey, brighton to luton takes
2 hours just under

njee20

That's direct though, Portsmouth to 3 Bridges is a fair way in itself.

3 hours 11 according to NRES, who also recommend changing at 3 bridges. Only 5 minutes slower than going via Waterloo and using the tube, and much less hassle.

silly moo

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. I have downloaded the Trainline app and booked my tickets, I will be changing at East Croydon which I hope won't be too busy off peak. The main thing is that I have avoided the London Undergroud which is a great system when you are fit but not great when you have a suitcase and your arm in a sling!

:NGaugersRule:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations