Speeding

Started by bob lawrence, August 19, 2018, 08:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Nah, that's an easy one, no one's paid road tax since 1937. VED goes into the 'pot' and roads are paid for from general taxation or council tax. Worms all back in can. Obviously that doesn't help the morons who want to claim a right to the road because they pay "road tax", but it doesn't make them less wrong!

daffy

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 20, 2018, 09:51:00 AM

Please let's not get into stereotyping .........

Stereotyping? :hmmm:

I think you have hit the nail on the head here NPN.  Listening to the vehicle's stereo and typing on phonepads is probably to blame more than the speeding such activities could inadvertently ::) lead to. Especially when these activities are carried out in tandem. :)

:D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

I don't think tandems cause many crashes, you don't see them that often, and they certainly don't tend to speed.

Drakken

One thing I have noticed since getting the van ( Vauxhall Combo ) small van is people will do anything to not be behind you they'll cut up others not to be 'stuck' behind you. I personally don't like sitting behind trucks or vans as I like to be able to see a least the road infront and other drivers brake lights incase of issues ahead on the road when in a normal car, Better hazard awareness.

On the way back from Cardiff to Newcastle the amount of people doing well over 80mph is ridiculous, Slow down for the gantry's then accelerate as hard as possible it seems.

Maybe it's just me getting 812miles to a £65 tank fill but I'm happy doing 65mph lol. Van likes it if that makes sense.

themadhippy

Quotealthough I accept a truly variable solution would simply introduce new problems.
we already have variable speed limits on large sections of motorways and they seem to mostly work,apart from when your suddenly forced down to 20 from 70 without any pre warning or staggered speed reduction.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Drakken

Quote from: themadhippy on August 20, 2018, 04:03:06 PM
Quotealthough I accept a truly variable solution would simply introduce new problems.
we already have variable speed limits on large sections of motorways and they seem to mostly work,apart from when your suddenly forced down to 20 from 70 without any pre warning or staggered speed reduction.

I agree the variable ones on the M6 I believe are odd to say the least and half the traffic don't use the hard shoulder when shows lane available. Can go like you said from 60 to 40 then to 50 within three gantry's just causes more harm than good I think happens every time I go to Cardiff  :beers:

njee20

Hence saying "truly" variable - varying based on traffic volume is one thing, and works perfectly well. They've been on the M25 for 15+ years.

Adding in other dimensions like the vehicle, weather, time of day and so on complicates it immeasurably. So I may feel that 80 (or even quicker) is perfectly reasonable in my modern car at 2am on a summer evening, but I wouldn't expect a 'tailored' speed limit to account for this, instead we just have 70, which was chosen arbitrarily in 1965 for a 4-month trial period, and never revoked. I also accept this is the law, and whilst I've never been stopped for speeding I would be wholly gracious should it happen.

Driving at any speed isn't inherently unsafe as has been said. I sure as hell feel better doing 80 in my car than I would doing 70 legally in anything from 1965! If they increased the limit to 80 then driving at 80 wouldn't be any safer, or indeed any less safe!

njee20

Not sure I subscribe to that idea. I imagine a few would still go even faster, specifically deriving a thrill from breaking the law, but I'd wager the overwhelming majority of people who speeed don't believe they're above the law, rather that they're comfortable at 75mph, and don't see the law, with the low likelihood of getting caught, as much of a disincentive. They're not driving at x mph above the speed limit specifically.

I'm not saying it's right, and maybe we should be dishing out on the spot fines of £5000 for people doing 1mph over the limit or stick 'em in debtors prisons, but that's pretty unlikely. Our roads are statistically very safe, and I'd far rather see more clamping down on genuinely dangerous activities like tailgating, weaving and using mobile phones long before I'd crack down on speeding.

Newportnobby

Now I may be wrong but I believe there are countries, such as Portugal, where there are minimum speed limits on certain roads and they are enforced. Seem like a good idea??

PLD

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 20, 2018, 09:38:22 PM
Now I may be wrong but I believe there are countries, such as Portugal, where there are minimum speed limits on certain roads and they are enforced. Seem like a good idea??
There already is a minimum speed on UK motorways of 30mph and vehicles not capable of maintaining that speed are specifically prohibited from entering the motorway. The oft stated "Lorries and buses are not allowed in the third lane" is also slightly incorrect... They aren't specifically banned, but vehicles not capable of maintaining 70mph are; and EU directives require that they have governors fitted restricting them to 110/100kph for buses & 90kph for HGVs it is that which indirectly stops them using the third lane.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: PLD on August 20, 2018, 09:52:43 PM
There already is a minimum speed on UK motorways of 30mph
Not according to the Highway Code  - there is no mention of a minimum speed limit, just the prohibition of certain types of slow moving vehicles etc.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

ntpntpntp

@Lindi, yep  - you sometimes find the blue minimum speed signs in constricted routes such as tunnels where there is a need to keep the traffic flowing in case there are emergency vehicles trying to get through etc.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

I definitely think minimum speed limits should be enforced - it's often more dangerous to drive slowly, admittedly because it tends to encourage others to perform poor overtaking manoeuvres.

bob lawrence

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 20, 2018, 10:15:03 PM
Some interesting stats in amongst all this...............

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/drivers-face-100-fine-going-205338937.html

It's this article that prompted my initial topic.
How about artics overtaking in the middle lane for miles?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations