Ex Police Officer was 'Mallard' fireman

Started by dannyboy, December 12, 2016, 02:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

Below is a small excerpt from the latest NARPO newsletter that just might be of interest to one or two of you -

"George Purnell was presented with a cheque for £100 in recognition of his 30 years of devoted service to Leeds & District Branch, throughout which he never missed a single meeting!

Prior to his retirement,  George served Leeds City Police as a Road Traffic officer and latterly as the driver for the late James Angus QPM,  the final Chief Constable of the city force before amalgamation.

As a young man,  George worked on the railways as a fireman on board Sir Nigel Gresley's 'Mallard', with driver Joe Duddington, who years earlier had driven the locomotive on its world famous speed trial at Stoke Bank,  south of Grantham".

The article does not say how old George is, but if he has been retired 30+ years, he must be in his 80s.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

PLD

Joe Duddington retired 1944 (aged 68). In war time conditions a young fireman of 18/19 might have worked a Top-link train if no one more senior was available so that would put him as born 1926 at the latest so he would now be 90++...

JasonBz

There is some info here that suggests he had Fired for Tommy Bray who had been the Fireman to Joe D on the record breaking run.
http://www.yorkmix.com/things-to-do/pictured-the-amazing-a4-locos-steam-in-for-last-great-gathering/

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations