NGS Journal 6/15

Started by MikeDunn, November 26, 2015, 04:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeDunn

Dropped through the door earlier today, and have had a brief scan.  Nice to see an article on motorising a Peco turntable with an Arduino, as well as several other interesting articles.  No doubt, however, the "usual suspects" will complain about the Editor writing several articles though ...

Mike

Tank

Had a quick read this morning before going to work.  Tanners Hill really caught my eye, so I'll look out for that layout in the future.  Also, well done to @thebrighton for his superb looking Class 456.  :)

Skyline2uk

Not read it yet but note with interest the article on 66 to 59 conversion, didn't notice the 456 so that should be good.

Also happy to see that I have my first ever (small) contribution to the NGS Journal. One of my photos from TINGS has been used.

See if you can guess which one  :wave:

Skyline2uk

Pete @ EGLM

And there's a photo of my Network Rail Class 950001

Pete @ EGLM

Calnefoxile

I am surprised that no one has mentioned that there seems to be a changing of the guard on the committee, as the posts of Chairman, Display Stand Manager, Area Group Co-ordinator and Webmaster are all up for grabs.

So anyone fancy a Committee role wih the NGS? Someone who's bemoaning the state of the NGS perhaps, here's their chance to step up to the plate and make a difference!!

Haven't looked through the actual Journal yet, just managed to read throughthe Newsletter, on a positive note there is another livery available for the Thompson BG and the deadline for pre-orders has been extended to the end of the year.

Regards

Neal.

Tank

Quote from: Calnefoxile on November 26, 2015, 11:18:04 PM
......Webmaster are all up for grabs.

I would have loved to have done this some years back, and did in fact ask about it.  Let's hope we get some volunteers soon.

surfaceman

Quote from: MikeDunn on November 26, 2015, 04:04:12 PM
Dropped through the door earlier today, and have had a brief scan.  Nice to see an article on motorising a Peco turntable with an Arduino, as well as several other interesting articles.  No doubt, however, the "usual suspects" will complain about the Editor writing several articles though ...

Mike

Yes, another good issue. Rather than complain, perhaps the "usual suspects" should try writing articles for the journal! In every issue, the Editor is inviting, almost pleading for, submissions!

Alex

Mirrlees

Well I have applied for the role of Stand Manager.

I have secured Dave and Ann Baverstock as my proposer and seconder.

Please vote for me (if it comes it)  :NGaugersRule:
Tim Hitch
NGS Display Stand Manager

MikeDunn

Quote from: Calnefoxile on November 26, 2015, 11:18:04 PM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned that there seems to be a changing of the guard on the committee, as the posts of Chairman, Display Stand Manager, Area Group Co-ordinator and Webmaster are all up for grabs.
Are they, though ?  I had assumed (I know, bad) that they are up for renewal & this is an invite for other peeps to put in as well ?

NeMo

Can I extend my thanks to NGF members Cooper and Skyline2uk who helped me help Grahame with the TINGS report in the current issue.

Also worth mentioning that they're looking for an assistant to help the editor with the Journal. If you're one of those people who'd like to see the Journal evolve into something closer to your own tastes, this would be an ideal opportunity to actually make those changes.

Even if you can't commit that sort of time, please do think about sending the editor an article or two. Clearly, he likes one about modelling rather than collecting or nitpicking! But beyond that the range of stuff featured in the Journal strikes me as pretty broad these days.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Cooper

I see there is a debate about selling secondhand items and deceased members stock in the newsletter. As a member of the Gauge O Guild I think their Executor and Trustee service is an excellent membership benefit. That your loved ones can leave the selling of your items once you pass on to a trusted group that will find a good home for the stock at a decent price is worth considering. This is distinct from what has also been happening at the NGS, which has been buying secondhand collections with little resale value. The GOG have a members area online where you can buy this stock, and they do roughly 4 shows a year where items are available to buy. Updates of stock in hand go out with their publication. All this takes volunteer time and effort, and requires storage. Is there a way of getting something similar up and running online to help clear the backlog of stock and provide this service in the future? I'm useless at setting up webpages and processes, but would help catalogue and run such a service if it was deemed the way forward. Of course, having a decent Webmaster would be a start.....  :laughabovepost:

Bealman

I feel that a comparison of the re-sale values of N gauge models and 0 gauge models is a pointless exercise.

0 gauge models will always have a collectable appeal because of their sheer presence and construction. N cannot compete in this arena.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Geoff

Well I have a NB-55 in the cupboard and a 4x2 test track which is a mini layout so now I can put Roger Millers Article to the test, and I have just priced up the items which come in quite cheap I was very surprised, it knocks other motor drives out of the water and with this Arduino setup it looks the bees knees.

well done Roger and thank you.

More articles like this in the Journal will keep me hooked.
Geoff

red_death

My understanding is that the NGS's S/H service was essentially what Neal describes for the GOG.  Also a way to make sure that people got fair prices, but it all seemed to get a bit out of hand.

S/H is really difficult to do well - you need to know what you are buying and what the market will pay for it.

Skyline2uk

After my first read of this issue I am very impressed.

I found the article on converting a 66 to a 59 fascinating, with a superb result.

Congratulations to the winners of the model making competition listed in this article, inspiring work.

Skyline2uk

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations