Edinburgh Tatoo

Started by austinbob, August 28, 2017, 07:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Just watched the last half hour or so. Such precision, style and professionalism.
Makes you proud to be British.
Wipes away tears of admiration....
:claphappy: :claphappy: :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

ntpntpntp

Started watching it and there was some fine stuff,  but sorry to say I found the commentary intrusive so switched over.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

austinbob

Quote from: ntpntpntp on August 28, 2017, 08:13:02 PM
Started watching it and there was some fine stuff,  but sorry to say I found the commentary intrusive so switched over.
Didn't even notice the commentary.....
Was there one???
:) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

ntpntpntp

Yes, at the start of each "act" - but for me it was way too loud and intruded over the live sound.  I'd put the program through the HiFi speakers for the best experience.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

austinbob

Quote from: ntpntpntp on August 28, 2017, 08:41:17 PM
Yes, at the start of each "act" - but for me it was way too loud and intruded over the live sound.  I'd put the program through the HiFi speakers for the best experience.
Sorry you couldn't let all that stuff float over your head and allow you to enjoy the moment.
:no: :beers:

Bob Austin

The Q

I've been to the Tattoo several times, and watched the TV coverage. I must admit I find the voice over A little intrusive these days. The edited show you see on TV is somewhat short, the full show is in excess of 90 minutes.

Should you visit Edinburgh  use the park and ride Central Edinburgh is quite anti car and parking very expensive. The Bus and tram system is very good and cheap especially the all day rover tickets. The citizens of Edinburgh have paid a fortune for their trams..
But for the tattoo investigate parking nearby, as getting out of the show in time for the last buses might be difficult.

I was lucky as Dad used to work at the castle, Great for free parking and for free tickets to the show. Driving down under the stands and then down the royal mile (very carefully) after a show, through all those crowds looking at you wondering what got you the privilege, is interesting!!!

Should you go to the show wrap up warm, it's B******y cold and drafty up there hanging out over  side of the fortress even after a warm sunny day. Also take / wear something waterproof if it rains..

Sadly these days little of it is British anymore, now its  "acts" from around the world, our Armed forces are too small to fill the show on their own..

broadsword

Yes, bus and tram system in Auld Reekie is very good, tram terminus at York Place is beside
one of my favourite pubs the Conan Doyle and if you take the tram to Haymarket you can drink
in Ryries where some of the Bay City Rollers used to hang out.

austinbob

I have relatives in the Edinburgh area but, despite many visits to the castle over the years, I've never managed to time my visits to go to the tattoo.
You're right about the cold up there, definitely need warm and waterproof clothes just in case. Must say the TV  commentary didn't really bother me. I suppose they have to let people know who's who at least.
Maybe I'll get to go one year....
:beers:

Bob Austin

broadsword

PS Conan Doyle pub is about 10 mins walk to Harburn Hobbies, one
of the best shops in Scotland for N gauge stuff.

Steve.T

Was in Edinburgh last saturday, visiting my son who lives and works there. The Fringe was in full swing and they were just starting getting ready for the tattoo. Great city, probably my favorite in the UK but some of those Fringe performers have a funny idea of humour, or maybe it's me  ???
And the temporary stand they put up outside the castle is a fair feat of engineering in itself.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

scottmitchell74

Quote from: Steve.T on August 29, 2017, 12:56:21 PM
Was in Edinburgh last saturday, visiting my son who lives and works there. The Fringe was in full swing and they were just starting getting ready for the tattoo. Great city, probably my favorite in the UK but some of those Fringe performers have a funny idea of humour, or maybe it's me  ???
And the temporary stand they put up outside the castle is a fair feat of engineering in itself.

So far, in my travels with my wife. Edinburgh has been my favorite city. The UK is the one big trip I'd like to do again someday, but spend much more time, being able to dig in a little deeper.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Train Waiting

Probably living so close, I take it all (apart from Harburn Hobbies!) for granted.  I was in recently to buy the McEwan's tank wagon, one of their Peco special commissions.  It's very nice, the wagon, not the beer which I've never liked! 

Yes, a very good 'bus service and now that the Waverley route (sorry Borders Railway) is partly re-opened I even have a station closer than Waverley (Shawfair or Eskbank, according to the mood I'm in).

Best wishes from the last house in Auld Reekie (under the present Scottish local government arrangements).

John

Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

austinbob

I must say I miss Edinburgh. I'm half Scottish, born in Glasgow, moved South when I was 6 months old. Most of my Glasgow relatives moved to the Edinburgh area (Haddington) decades ago. Haven't been up there for nearly 10 years now.
Would like to go again soon but Dad is getting on now and its not practical just now.
:beers:

Bob Austin

StufromEGDL

Hi All,

Was in Edinburgh today.....Class 380 from and back to Carluke. Still loads to do after the Tattoo and Fringe are finished. Was in the Museum on the Mound, the Scottish National Gallery, had a couple of ciders, listened to a bit of live music and still kept a 9 yr old interested all day.

Later,
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

The Q

Quote from: StufromEGDL on August 30, 2017, 09:14:05 PM
Hi All,

Was in Edinburgh today.....Class 380 from and back to Carluke. Still loads to do after the Tattoo and Fringe are finished. Was in the Museum on the Mound, the Scottish National Gallery, had a couple of ciders, listened to a bit of live music and still kept a 9 yr old interested all day.

Later,
Stu from EGDL.
Hope you had a good guide at the National Gallery one of My Sisters and her Husband are guides there.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations