Slow speed running - some test results

Started by longbow, September 14, 2016, 09:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Al

Quote from: longbow on November 11, 2016, 10:58:32 AM
Everything I've tested was recently purchased new.

Sure, just worth checking it wasn't some new-old stock - the original motors were much more sticky than the later ones, so unlikely to give the performance you describe!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

longbow

Data for latest fleet additions:

Farish Merchant Navy 372-311 - slowest sustained speed 0.8mph, top speed n/a.
Farish Warship 370-070a -  slowest sustained speed 0.6mph, top speed 187mph.

As for previous data, results are on completion of recommended running-in period, on clean 11" test circle, using Gaugemaster DC Combi controller.

longbow

Slowest sustained speeds for latest additions.

Dapol Hymek - 0.7mph
Farish 4MT Tank - 0.9mph
Another N Mogul - 5.7mph (identical to the first)
Dapol 57xx - 12.4mph (second hand)

As for previous data, results are on completion of recommended running-in period, on clean 11" test circle, using Gaugemaster DC Combi controller.

longbow

I have just started to DCC my fleet with the Zimo MX622N chip and it is certainly making a big difference to the mediocre runners. My Farish 5MT on DC managed a slowest sustained speed of 5.7mph. On DCC, and with only a preliminary tuning of the motor settings, that has dropped to 1.5mph.  The stall speed of my Dapol Class 121 has fallen from 7mph to 1.1mph.  

Waz

He slowest running loco I own is my Class 66 which running on my rolling road will happily crawl along as a scale 0.5mph. And it will achieve this also running on a clean layout. However I did spend a lot of time setting up the decoder in it and I also feel it may have something to do with the quality of the CJM chassis.

longbow

Slowest sustained speeds for latest additions. Once again Dapol steamers show exemplary (albeit noisy) slow running.

Union Mills T9 - 5.3mph
Farish Class 47 - 0.4mph
Dapol 38xx - 0.3mph
Dapol Pendleton Hall - 0.2mph

longbow

Slowest sustained speeds for latest additions. As for previous data, results are on completion of recommended running-in period, on clean 11" test circle, using Gaugemaster DC Combi controller.

Farish King - 0.2mph. Exemplary!
Farish Warship - 1.1mph, very good though my other Warship managed 0.6mph
Dapol Class 52 - 12.4mph. As much of a nail on DC as its stablemate - but see below.

I have already remarked that running my poor performers on DCC has transformed their slow running abilities and so it proved with the Class 52, which on DCC improved its slowest speed from 12.4mph to only 0.2mph! This was achieved with a mid-range DCC23 decoder with default motor settings and shunting speed selected, rather than the more sophisticated Zimo MX622N I am now fitting as standard.

longbow

As a further illustration of the performance benefits of DCC, the slowest sustainable speed for my Dapol M7 has dropped from 8.3mph to 0.4mph after fitting a CT DCX77zN decoder.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations