!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Pentre Cwrt Halt (or Pentrecourt Halt) - Marty's Diorama  (Read 4439 times)

Offline Marty

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Pentre Cwrt Halt (or Pentrecourt Halt) - Marty's Diorama
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2016, 02:11:53 pm »
Thank you for the information David, I took a lot of photos of Henllan and the village when I was there, I'll dig them out and see if those buildings are identifiable as one of them.

Old Man Willow was twisted up from the individual strands of wire in a fairly heavy gauge earth wire from the "scrap" bucket. The insulation was peeled off and from what hazy memory remains, two bundles of wire were joined together at the base to give a fairly thick bunch of wires.

The telegraph pole gives some scale and yes... it was quite a big, old willow. It was such a fun, if time consuming, aspect of modelling that it often requires a fixed "stop" point to avoid gargantuan trees that look out of place in N scale.

After straightening out the drooping branches a thin mix of polyfiller, water and PVA glue was applied, allowing each layer to dry and building up the layers until the wire of the trunk is no longer visible. Might have even been a bit of black colouring in the mix to give it the grey base. The droplets that dried on the end of the branches were mostly ignored and left in place as the flock/foliage applied later would hide them.

This too is a time consuming process and next time the hot glue gun may be tried. The coated, twisted wire method is good for feature trees at the front of the layout in my experience. For fashioning a wooded hillside at the back of the layout there are easier methods.

Extra, extra strong hair spray, unfortunately not a fragrance free kind as none could be found, was sprayed over the dry branches and what is possibly woodland scenics grass scatter sprinkled on. Below is the first (or second) layer.

Deemed not dense enough by the only critic that matters, SWMBO, more hair spray and scatter was applied until a satisfactory apprearance was achieved.

Quite probably a lighter coloured scatter was the final layer to represent new growth.
Now all that is need is a river bank for it to go on!

Before that though the halt platform was scratch built from plasticard and styrene strip.

cheers
Marty

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2016, 05:18:23 pm »
Old Man Willow was twisted up from the individual strands of wire in a fairly heavy gauge earth wire from the "scrap" bucket.

Hi Marty

What a fantastic tree! Did you calculate how many strands you'd need at the outset, or did it just emerge from the wire you had?

Mike

Offline Ditape

• N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2016, 05:22:45 pm »
 :wonderfulmodelling: :greatwork:
Love your Willow tree :thumbsup:
Diane Tape

Offline Marty

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2016, 03:17:42 am »
Old Man Willow was twisted up from the individual strands of wire in a fairly heavy gauge earth wire from the "scrap" bucket.

Hi Marty

What a fantastic tree! Did you calculate how many strands you'd need at the outset, or did it just emerge from the wire you had?

Mike

Thanks Mike, I was pleased with it  :).

No calcs, SWAG (scientific wild ar*@! guess), just that one bundle of the earthwire didn't look like enough. Two bundles looked like it could work. If the trunk was too chunky some strands might have been removed until it was manageable.

Lots of fun... if you are happy to sit there on and off for an hour twisting and posing wire!

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2016, 09:10:15 am »
What a great tree, looks really superb but in its basic version I feel a Harry Potter moment coming on, would make a great whomping willow tree if you were doing a Hogwart's layout   :)

Offline Marty

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2016, 03:31:09 pm »
Haha, thanks Caz, yes, paint it black with some washes of grey and one could have a whomping willow. All I need then is flying Ford Anglia. Hmmm... Nah... The muggles wouldn't understand the cameo.  :P (I've always wanted to use that emoticon)

The early halt platforms were constructed with a series of timber cross frames under the platform according to the books I've read and the photos taken at the opening of Pentre cwt Halt show that this was the case. Later, an earthen bank with a sleeper or concrete retaining wall was found to be cheaper to construct and maintain.

The workmanship required for the wooden cross frame variety engaged the thought processes and using GWR dimensioned drawings a 2D drawing of the frames was drawn up and printed out to scale.

Placed under a pane of glass the print out served as a template. The outside frames are 1mm square styrene rod, the cross beams 0.5mm x 1mm.

Tweezers, a sharp craft knife, optivisor, glue and patience.

The platform is on the slight curve... Of course... Why make it easy on yourself... And a pencil guided by the edge of a coach traced out the platform face on a piece of paper. This was used as a template to cut out the platform. A stone plinth can be seen at the back to support the hut and the first cross frames are being glued in place.

The base plasticard would be buried under the ground and ballast once in place.

All of the frames are now in place but the curve caused by the glue wasn't anticipated. Some thought went into getting it flat again.

This might be the last post until early next week. We're heading "bush" with the camper trailer tomorrow night and I very much doubt that there will be mobile phone reception where we are going.

I'll pick it up again when we get back.

Thanks for all the thanks and comments, it keeps me motivated to carry on.

Cheers

Marty

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2016, 05:17:05 pm »
Hi Marty,

Thanks for these latest installments, they're great!

All of the frames are now in place but the curve caused by the glue wasn't anticipated. Some thought went into getting it flat again.

So what did you do to get it flat again??

Have fun in the bush!  8)

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2016, 01:04:28 pm »
I just love that Willow tree and just to show how good it is a pic of the one in my garden taken a few minutes ago

:wonderfulmodelling:   :thumbsup:  cheers David
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2016, 05:10:48 pm »
The early halt platforms were constructed with a series of timber cross frames under the platform according to the books I've read and the photos taken at the opening of Pentre cwt Halt show that this was the case. Later, an earthen bank with a sleeper or concrete retaining wall was found to be cheaper to construct and maintain.

The workmanship required for the wooden cross frame variety engaged the thought processes and using GWR dimensioned drawings a 2D drawing of the frames was drawn up and printed out to scale.

Wonderful workmanship! I'd have chickened out and gone for the later design ...

Mike

Offline Marty

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2016, 12:10:43 am »
Thanks for the comments Mike, Steve and David,

Managed to get some signal from the top of a granite outcrop. We're heading out beyond that horizon. Into the telecommunications wilderness.

Nice tree to have at the bottom of the garden David.

Mike, it wasn't so bad, the GWR had already done the design, it was just a matter of replicating it...with teeny tiny dimensions. When I built the second halt on the main layout someone laser cut a jig for me that made the process faster and more accurate.

I'll get onto flattening the curve when I get back Steve. In the end it wasn't difficult, it just hurt thinking about how to do it.

Cheers

Marty
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:13:25 am by Marty »

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2016, 08:49:17 am »
Hi Mike,

I'm looking forward to hearing how you flatten the platform out!

Great view in you last picture - I hope you're not walking the whole distance!!!  :D

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything