Problems with Dapol Terrier

Started by GreenDiesel, September 03, 2018, 04:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenDiesel

Last summer, I bought a new Dapol Terrier in Southern Livery. It's one of my favourite models but just recently I've had trouble when trying to get it moving (ie started running) on my layout. Once it's moving, it runs fine. Because of this, I seldom use it for shunting as it's no fun having to push it all the time to get it moving.

It always has been a little problematic in this regard but seems to be getting worse. Recently, I've been running it as a passenger train but I usually still have to give it a nudge to get it moving, which is frustrating. (It often starts moving when I gently push it to one side of the rails, which makes me think there is a connection issue between the wheels.)

I've cleaned its wheels, cleaned the track, and other locos run and start & run fine in the sections where it acts up.

I'd take it to a model shop (here in Toronto) for a proper cleaning, but most shops here are reluctant to touch this "British stuff" since they're not familiar with British outline models and don't sell them. (I ordered mine from the UK from Hattons.)

I imagine it needs some kind of cleaning -- does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Rob

Dr Al

The only other pickup component to clean is the wiper pickups on the wheel backs. This will need a dismantling though.

Also, have you given it a good long proper run in? If it's only ever been stop start type running, it might not have ever got properly run in.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

CarriageShed

I've had the body off and back on mine several times. I've noticed that if the body isn't perfectly positioned it can rub against the motor. Your nudge to get yours started could be all it needs to get over some very light contact between body and motor.

GreenDiesel

Thanks. I'll try experimenting with this tonight. Also, if I gently press down on it, it starts moving.

Last night, however, it started to run better so I'm wondering if I might have been able to remove some of the excess oil.

Rob

GreenDiesel

Quote from: Dr Al on September 04, 2018, 12:07:46 PM
The only other pickup component to clean is the wiper pickups on the wheel backs. This will need a dismantling though.

Also, have you given it a good long proper run in? If it's only ever been stop start type running, it might not have ever got properly run in.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks... when I first bought this last summer, I did run it in, in either direction for a couple hours. I've used it off and on since (mostly as a passenger train). I suspect it has picked up some dirt and, when I tried to lubricate it, I made the problem worse.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations