Laptop sound not working but headphones are

Started by Ensign Elliott, January 18, 2017, 08:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ensign Elliott

Hi

I have a fairly new Toshiba laptop - bought June last year. Today its started making a clicking sound, coming from the speakers I think, and the sound has stopped working. When I plug in headphones, they work fine but otherwise nothing.

Any ideas? Is it something that can be easily fixed in the settings or do I need to take it back to shop?

mickster04

sounds like the speaker(s) have died, although you could check you are sending signal to them by looking at the volume control when using headphones vs the speakers, it usually shows the sound volume jumping around? if you right-click on the speaker icon, then 'playback devices' you should see you speakers/headphones, the green thing on the right should move when sounds are played.

Kaian

Worth Checking in Device Manager if anything is unrecognized, it might have a corrupt driver.

Or might be easier to run the Toshiba Diagnostic Tool, do a quick google for the link.
This will then do a pass/fail test on each component.
Craig

Ensign Elliott

Quote from: mickster04 on January 18, 2017, 09:05:29 PM
sounds like the speaker(s) have died, although you could check you are sending signal to them by looking at the volume control when using headphones vs the speakers, it usually shows the sound volume jumping around? if you right-click on the speaker icon, then 'playback devices' you should see you speakers/headphones, the green thing on the right should move when sounds are played.

Thanks, just tried that with a youtube video. Sound turned fully up and tried it with headphones plugged in and out. No green thing moving :(

themadhippy

in the sounds settings double check it isnt set to digital or hdmi audio out
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Ensign Elliott

Thanks all, I've tried those but still no good. I've called the supplier and they will send it back to Toshiba to get it repaired as its still under warranty. Should take a week to sort apparently.

Thanks anyway all :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations