100 YEARS OF THE RAF WITH EWAN & COLIN MCGREGOR

Started by Newportnobby, March 26, 2018, 02:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

During my 23 years I worked on Lancaster (admittedly being used as training hulks at RAF Yatesbury) Varsity, Meteor, Canberra, Vampire T11, Venom FB4, Jet provost, Victor and Vulcan (including XH 588) and 8 years as instructor on airborne radar. Finished up as Cief Tech.
Between 1951 & 1974 Cardington '51,Yatesbury '52/4/7/61(4 courses), St Athan '52 (west camp), Stoke Heath '52-4, Kasfareet '55, Habbaniya '56, Akrotiri '56/7, Little Rissington '57, Cosford58-60, Honington '61-5, Marham '65-67, Waddington '67/8 and Cosford '68-74 , detachments to Church Fenton, Gaydon, Lossiemouth, Tengah (twice) Penang & Darwin.

"If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined" but then "Much better than working for a living"

Per Ardua ad Astra = "After work we go to the cinema"  (all cinemas on RAF camps are called the Astra - except St Athan West camp which was the Athenium the East camp had the Astra)
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

broadsword

Impressive career!  People discussing greatest RAF planes, however you have to do it by eras
I would say the most impressive RAF plane was the scrapped TSR2 which was miles ahead
of any US or  USSR plane.  Here's an apocryphal tale, my cousin's late husband was stationed
at RAF Scampton and the gossip was that the V bombers nukes were armed with Allen keys
to set airburst , groundburst etc, maybe just a NAAFI joke !  Imagine going into Halfords
for a spare !

RailGooner

This day, I 'ave mostly been liking;

Vickers-Armstrongs VC10

Hawker Hunter

McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II

TrevL

3 years Lightning F6's, learnt how to be a "rigger", and do wire locking and split pinning at arms length, everything was easy after that. They were not designed for servicing.
2 years F4 Phantoms.
5 years Wessex helicopters both yellow (3) and green (2).
3 years Jetstreams (Wet Dreams).
6 years Hawks.
4 years Tornado N/R, the one and only Rigger Sgt at Sealand.
I must have masochistic tendencies, Lightnings were my favorite.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

RailGooner

This day, I 'ave mostly been liking:

Vickers-Armstrongs VC10

de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk

Lockheed C-130 Hercules

The Q

Dad worked on Shackletons, Canberras and had something to do with TSR2,

Me,
trained on Bits of T80, SSR mk10, FPS 6,
QL-U, RAF Boulmer, RAF Neatishead, RAF Staxton Wold.
X-T84, RAF Boulmer, RAF Neatishead, RAF Staxton Wold.
QL-88/89, RAF Benbecula.
QL-Tacan, RAF Benbecula.
QL-SSR750, RAF Boulmer.

Then as a civi,
RAF Leuchars
RAF Leeming,
RAF Scampton,
RAF Coningsby,
RAF Sealand,
BAE Warton,
MOD Boscombe Down,
RAF Mount Pleasant.
RASF Dharhan,
RASF Tabuk.
All on AI24 and it's test Equipment.

These days the test equipment, I work on is used on stuff all over the world, sometimes on stuff used by both sides, facing each other over a fence.. most odd...
I'm just happy working my way to retirement in this 15ft square lab..

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations