'Endeavouring' to be accurate?

Started by daffy, February 18, 2018, 08:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

ITV's Endeavour series has entered the realm of railways tonight.

Especially like the astonishly accurate  :no: portrayal of a dyed in the wool trainspotter!  ;) ("No, railway enthusiast")

The question must be asked: who here at the Forum most closely resembles the character they have created? :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

austinbob

Watching it now. Ropley and what I think is Quainton Rd station featured so far.
Wouldn't like to comment on who the trainspotter reminds me of... Must get my mirror cleaned!!
;) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

daffy

Note too the many links to the old Crossroads series from the 1060's:

The 'Crossroads Motel' was at the fictional Midlands town of 'Kings Oak', featured in Endeavour. In one scene at the Motel the cleaner is referred to as 'Mrs T' - the character in the original Crossroads was (Mrs) Amy Turtle.

They even show the original Crossroads Motel signboard the first time the place features:
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/crossroads-soap-opera-encyclopedia/images/a/ab/Crossies_motel.gif/revision/latest?cb=20121015105823
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

weave

Wasn't that set in Hastings at that time  :D.

Sorry, I'll get my chain mail, I'm off to A&E.

daffy

Quote from: weave on February 18, 2018, 09:30:44 PM
Wasn't that set in Hastings at that time  :D.

Sorry, I'll get my chain mail, I'm off to A&E.

Oops! :-[

Not too bad though. Only 900 years out. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bob G

Couldn't figure out what the date should be. Should be 1968 from the last clue they gave. But:
They had Blue 33s in real life.Now blue 33s were 1968 at the earliest.
There was a blue Western on the trainspotter's layout. Don't think there was a 52 model then - certainly not a Dapol one :)
There was also a 9F and a rebuilt MN or BB/WC (couldn't tell - sorry) in the station too.
BBs/WCs/MNs were the last steamers on the southern in 1968, and 9Fs were late too, but the GWR lost steam in about 1965 (IIRC).

And Cream was on the play list in the boutique - 1967. Sunshine of your love.
Senator Kennedy died -announced at the end - so June 1968.

Oh and at least one of the locomotive numbers collected by the enthusiast on the roof beams was very likely a late build 9F number 93013. Surely not!!!

Disappointing series for consistency so far - they even had a two tone grey phone last episode - and they didn't come in until the mid 1970s.

Still, at least the Fords were in period.

Bob

MalcolmInN

Up & down the land families have been debating,,,,  swmbo as well !

6 June 1968 Bobby Kennedy died, having been shot on 5 June, I would have to listen again to the exact wording of the broadcast, swmbo (GWR)  and I (too far north in Cumberland to know what they got up to in Oxford :) ) were debating closures and almost missed the 'radio over' in the closing scene. So it could even have been headlines from  7th ?

MalcolmInN

Oh, and if anyone is interested we were married in 1969,,,  but it feels like 1069
nice typo @daffy :)

LOL

MalcolmInN

Thursday picked up a model and said something like " I wonder how much that is worth?" and I think no one at that time would have asked such a thing ? If they had there would come the answer "not a lot" !

Would have given us a lot more insight into his wisdom and prophetic abilities if he had been written to say, "I wonder how much that will be worth " ;)

Paul-H

In the first episode of this series they showed one of the students writing with a Parker Vector not bad for a series based in the early sixties given the the Vector came out in the early eighties,

Will they be doing a time traveller episode soon ;)
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Bealman

I used to use a Parker cartridge fountain pen in the early sixties  :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bob G

Quote from: Lindi on February 18, 2018, 11:13:13 PM
Quote from: Bob G on February 18, 2018, 10:18:39 PM
They had Blue 33s in real life.Now blue 33s were 1968 at the earliest.

But the TOPS numbers weren't introduced until 1973

The 33 had a headlight - they couldn't help that - but it could have been a pre TOPS blue 33....
Bob

broadsword

Quote from: Bealman on February 19, 2018, 06:24:06 AM
I used to use a Parker cartridge fountain pen in the early sixties  :worried:

Yus M'lady !

austinbob

What gave the trainspotter away as being not quite right was that he had no cornbeef and brown sauce sandwich and not bottle of Tizer. Obviously guilty from the start....
:) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Bob G

Quote from: austinbob on February 19, 2018, 08:25:59 AM
What gave the trainspotter away as being not quite right was that he had no cornbeef and brown sauce sandwich and not bottle of Tizer. Obviously guilty from the start....
:) :beers:
I had crispy bacon sandwiches on very white very processed bread. Lovely. Can taste them right now.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations