Whatsapp subscription scam

Started by austinbob, February 03, 2018, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Received text message, purported to be from WhatsApp, asking for users to click on a link to buy a lifetime subscription for 99p.
Google search indicates this is a scam. To infect phone with malware and/or get bank details. So don't click on the link and delete the text.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

daffy

All family ducks now inoculated :thankyousign:

Though I never take out subscriptions for such things as I like to use my dosh for holidays and trains. :)

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

WhatsApp is free. That's part of what makes the scam quite so obvious!

austinbob

Quote from: njee20 on February 03, 2018, 03:38:11 PM
WhatsApp is free. That's part of what makes the scam quite so obvious!
That may be so but there may be users who think that a charge is being introduced. There was talk of WhatsApp charging not so long ago.
Just trying to help!!
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

njee20

Yes, apologies, wasn't inferring that it wasn't helpful, always good to point out. That said I must get at least 10 phishing emails/texts a week, I'm always amused when there's a thread on here about a specific one!

daffy

As I never join social media things I have no idea what is charged and what is not.  And its always easy - sometimes accidentally - when using a touch screen to click a link.  I'm minded if the tale of the guy who signed up to a subscription site of the adult kind. His cat, so he said, walked over his iPad. Now that's phishing..... I mean, phishy..... sorry, fishy. :D

Ten phishing emails or texts per week, njee?! :goggleeyes:
  - SWMBO and I must be privileged then because we both use the www a lot, and my wife's phone is always in use, and we get one so infrequently it's probably less than 10 a year, between us.

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Mito

I thought that Whatsapp cost $1 a year and was taken directly from your phone provider who then debited your account.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

austinbob

WhatsApp is currently free according to their website. I've never paid a subs.

Bob Austin

Bealman

Yes, use it all the time to send stuff to daughters. Free.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Mito

Yes, no cost to use but where does Whatsapp get its income from?
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

austinbob

Quote from: Mito on February 03, 2018, 10:14:03 PM
Yes, no cost to use but where does Whatsapp get its income from?
There used to be a small subs pre 2016. I believe the plan is to let users communicate with businesses (eg banks, airlines etc) and business picks up the tab.

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations