Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steamie+

Quote from: Trainfish on February 25, 2017, 08:20:24 PM
This may appear to some to be in the wrong thread but in my mind it isn't and it's something I've touched on before but never actually said what was going on.
So, yesterday we had my mum cremated. She passed away on Feb 9th after 6 months battling lung and pancreatic cancer which in turn caused diabetes. She fought it like mad which all the family were surprised at but she was always in pain and often tried to hide it from myself and my brother and sister. This is the reason I've put it in this thread as she is no longer in pain and is at rest. It was a very emotional day yesterday as our family is spread out across the world and unfortunately it's only occasions like these when we all get together. I'm now pleased to have got this off my chest and will try to continue with my layout soon.

RIP mum

Your Mum must have been such a strong Lady John, she loved you all like only a Mother can and she fought hard to stay with her Family.

Be strong for her John, she will always be watching over you all.

My condolences to you and your Family.

Trainfish

Thanks to all of you for your kind words, it is appreciated. Please don't think that's why I posted in the first place, it was just something which friends have to be told about and I consider people on here to be just that, friends. Friday was strangely a good day as it was mainly full of good memories. I even wrote and read out a eulogy at the service which I can honestly say was the hardest thing emotionally I have ever done. It was of course very light hearted as you'd expect from me and apart from a couple of wobbles I managed to get through it. The extra large brandy just before going in to the crematorium may have helped me there. We also held a collection for the British Red Cross where she worked as a volunteer and I was astounded that we collected over £1000 for them, it just shows how well she was liked and loved in my opinion.
Thanks again for your messages.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Steamie+

John i lost a niece last year so was only 10 and her family gave me i OO Royal Scot loco in memory of her, she always wanted to play on the Grandsons layout and she got her Mum & Dad to buy her a train but she developed her illness ( Cancer ) and she never got to use it much, it was second hand i think. Anyway i said i would make a little end to end layout / diorama in her memory, i have named it "Angel Rise" because we all thought she was an Angel, i have yet to start it but this year i will and i will give it to her Mum & Dad.

Sorry for going on John but the point is maybe you could do the same for your Mum, it doesn't have to be a layout/ diorama, it could be some thing you think would remind you off her favourite place or something else, just a thought John.

You will be in my prayers John.

Bob Tidbury

Thats a good idea steamie my best mate passed away and I have three small corner shelves the top one ha his funeral sevice sheet  the next one down has some of his woodn boats and lighthouses the ones you get from the stands at  shows and the bottom shelf has the Metcalfe church he built.
I also have a freight train with all of his wagons hauled by his Black Five for which I had the nameplates Squirell made that was his nickname and every time we have an operating session his train HAS TO RUN even all my mates who visit know that is the rule.
Bob

Steamie+

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on February 28, 2017, 09:51:48 AM
Thats a good idea steamie my best mate passed away and I have three small corner shelves the top one ha his funeral sevice sheet  the next one down has some of his woodn boats and lighthouses the ones you get from the stands at  shows and the bottom shelf has the Metcalfe church he built.
I also have a freight train with all of his wagons hauled by his Black Five for which I had the nameplates Squirell made that was his nickname and every time we have an operating session his train HAS TO RUN even all my mates who visit know that is the rule.
Bob

It's just something i thought of to remember a loving member of the my family Bob and to do one for your best mate would i believe bring you a lot of joy, even though it will be OO gauge Bob i will ask the mods when i get round to it if i can post a few photo's when i get round to finishing it some time later on in the year then perhaps we could exchange ideas maybe.   Happy Modelling.          :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Trainfish

Thanks Steamie. I have already been trying to think of something to go on the layout in her memory but can't decide just what yet. There will be something eventually though  :hmmm:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bob Tidbury

Trainfish.
What about doing the same as me but maybe an industrial loco with your Mums name on .
Bob Tidbury

Trainfish

I'm also thinking of a way to remember my father who we lost in 1998. Their names were Linda and Ken so I've even been thinking of either a station name or layout name change to either Lindaken or Kenlinda. What do you think?
John

<*))))><

dannyboy

How about an anagram - Klindean, or put it in two words - Klin Dean  :hmmm:

Just been looking at 'Wiktionary' - some definitions for Klin - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/klin and a Dean can be a person in charge, which parents are  :). Just a thought.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Steamie+

Quote from: Trainfish on February 28, 2017, 10:51:27 PM
Thanks Steamie. I have already been trying to think of something to go on the layout in her memory but can't decide just what yet. There will be something eventually though  :hmmm:

I am sure you will think of something and you will be able to remember them when you run your trains John.

And Bob's idea seems a good one to do, but of course it is entirely up to you.

The names Dannyboy has suggested are pretty good, but i do like Kenlinda.

Happy Modelling John, maybe we could all share in our memories of our love ones.    :) :) :) :)

Papyrus

:bounce: Just back from the local hospital where my stepson and his lovely Spanish wife have just presented us with our first grandchild, Oliver. Mum is exhausted but happy, Dad is away with the fairies and the grannies are over the moon!

He will be whisked over to the Bluebell Railway at the earliest possible opportunity, as every child should.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris

Newportnobby

Congratulations to all, Grandad Chris :beers:
You do realise this means the start of baby sitting duties?

daffy

Welcome to the Grand Order of Doting Grandparents, Chris. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

austinbob

Yes congratulations Chris. Wait till you have great grandchildren!! Makes you feel very proud but - old..
My second great grandchild is due end April. - Party time..with a walking stick.
:D :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

jonclox

:beers:  :claphappy: Great news for everybody concerned and involved  :thumbsup:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP