Facebook

Started by Steamie+, February 11, 2017, 10:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Quote from: Steamie+ on February 16, 2017, 06:16:02 AM
admittedly he could of taken the photo with a better background, but he should have put it on here 1st to get a far fairer point of view i feel.

Why would he have got a fairer view here? He'd get a lot more adulation, because that's what this place does, but is that fairer? I'd say Facebook is a much "fairer" (read: honest) forum to have your work critiqued!

Steamie+

Seems you do have a problem with the forum, so i won't reply anymore.     :)

njee20

Why? Few would argue that this forum is extremely welcoming. I've never really seen a negative comment here. That's great, it's a nice 'safety net' for people to show their work without fear of being ripped apart. However, That doesn't make it fairer, quite the opposite.

Newportnobby

Quote from: njee20 on February 16, 2017, 08:24:07 AM
I've never really seen a negative comment here.

Where have you been? I would say the vast majority of regular posters say it how it is, and some don't hold back at all.

daffy

Yes, this forum will give adulation, but where it is due, and in varying degree. In many other cases it will give encouragement and positive criticism, on the lines of "Good first attempt / good effort. Might I recommend, might I suggest......" . Okay, so not those exact words, but the overall intention is usually to help. (We do have the occasional harsh critiques and blunt and/or negative comments, but they are few and far between, and often more than balanced by more objective posters.)

I am not a signed up member of Facebook but I have read enough Facebook pages to know the type of "fairer" comments that get posted there. Yes, some replies are the same as here, advice, constructive criticism etc, but what we don't get here (hopefully) is the blatant rude attack, the troll postings, and the just plain stupid comments that Facebook can supply in abundance.

Not everyone here is a great modeller, engineer or designer - we all have different needs, wants and abilities, and what to one person may seem poor work is to another the best they can do and they are happy with it and proud to show it off here without rude censure.

If that makes this Forum a "safety net" then that makes it a stronger, better place than Facebook will ever be.

Long may it continue that way.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Steamie+

Quote from: daffy on February 16, 2017, 10:04:41 AM
Yes, this forum will give adulation, but where it is due, and in varying degree. In many other cases it will give encouragement and positive criticism, on the lines of "Good first attempt / good effort. Might I recommend, might I suggest......" . Okay, so not those exact words, but the overall intention is usually to help. (We do have the occasional harsh critiques and blunt and/or negative comments, but they are few and far between, and often more than balanced by more objective posters.)

I am not a signed up member of Facebook but I have read enough Facebook pages to know the type of "fairer" comments that get posted there. Yes, some replies are the same as here, advice, constructive criticism etc, but what we don't get here (hopefully) is the blatant rude attack, the troll postings, and the just plain stupid comments that Facebook can supply in abundance.

Not everyone here is a great modeller, engineer or designer - we all have different needs, wants and abilities, and what to one person may seem poor work is to another the best they can do and they are happy with it and proud to show it off here without rude censure.

If that makes this Forum a "safety net" then that makes it a stronger, better place than Facebook will ever be.

Long may it continue that way.

I totally agree with everything said in the above post by daffy, i have nearly finished my roundhouse and i am happy with it in a way, but then again i know it could be better, but i think for a 1st attempt at a real scratch build, (leaving behind the Coal Distribution Plant i have done) it's ok.

So for when i do post a photo of it on here when finished i hope i will get constructive criticism and some tips on how to improve, for which i know i will get and not the rude and offensive stuff that is put on FB, because i for one would leave a forum and go my own merry way.       Happy Modelling.      :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

njee20

I'm clearly not making my point well, as I don't really dispute any of that, although I don't see much of the constructive criticism, more the encouragement. Again, this is good. I've no idea what the comments were on that weathered 37 via Facebook, but yes, I can imagine a host of "good try" were it posted on here.

Part of why I like it here is that it doesn't feel everyone is a professional modeller. The standard is more 'normal' IMO, RMWeb can be a bit intimidating as there are some utterly stunning models/layouts on there, and sadly a few members who can be dismissive of anything they deem sub-par. Not all, by a long way, but it's definitely an attitude among some.

woodbury22uk

Funnily enough the Facebook topic on the weathered Class 37 has over 40 comments ranging from "you've ruined a good loco" to the more constructive ones suggesting a gentler touch, using vertical brush strokes, many photos of peoples' own work. Plus a debate about the harshness of the comments. But unlike this forum it is not a document of record and in a week's time it will be a major challenge to find the comments again. I think that the original poster can delete the whole topic if they do not want it to stay on view!

I believe there is a place for Facebook and this forum format, and I do recognise people from here posting on there. But Facebook is more a stream of consciousness geared to skim reading, whereas here you make a positive choice to read a topic, and if the subject heading "Facebook" does not catch your attention you will not even know the discussion has ever taken place.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Carmont

Quote from: Steamie+ on February 16, 2017, 06:16:02 AM
Here some more photo's, i am getting fed up really of these members who don't show their photo's on here, there is some really great photo's on FB that we are all missing.

This guy did a scratch build of a drilling rig and kit bashed the truck. Not bad is it.

And this guy is new to N Gauge and it was his 1st attempt at weathering, boy did he get some stick. admittedly he could of taken the photo with a better background, but he should have put it on here 1st to get a far fairer point of view i feel.

Still i am not going to post anymore photo's on here, it's like banging my head against a brick wall, just going to leave them to it.       :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

In fairness, the poster of the Class 37, in his header for the post, asked people to be honest about what they thought. He didn't ask for constructive criticism, he just said be honest. Some people were brutally honest.

red_death

I don't really see what the issue is - some people prefer to use here and some people prefer to use FB.  Not really a big deal!

I gave up trying to post pictures here when the forum gallery software was so rubbish, plus if I want to reuse the same image in different places then it is much easier to upload images to my Flickr account and then let Flickr generate the bbcode for use on here or elsewhere.

As for the 37 weathering on FB - he asked for honest comments and that is what he got. I don't really see anything that OTT in any of the comments, though some are clearly more helpful than others.

Cheers, Mike

Dr Al

Facebook has the fundamantal pragmatic problem that looking up old threads and items is much much more difficult than an organised forum page like this. It's much more 'current' and finding that interesting post from several years ago will leave you tearing your hair out.

Here, it's much easier.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

njee20

Quote from: Dr Al on February 16, 2017, 12:31:11 PM
Facebook has the fundamantal pragmatic problem that looking up old threads and items is much much more difficult than an organised forum page like this. It's much more 'current' and finding that interesting post from several years ago will leave you tearing your hair out.

I'm not sure it's a problem per se, it's just how it works. It's exactly why I don't use it for discussions though, it's far more transient certainly. More cat videos too.

QuoteIn fairness, the poster of the Class 37, in his header for the post, asked people to be honest about what they thought. He didn't ask for constructive criticism, he just said be honest. Some people were brutally honest.

And if he posted here, I'd have looked at the thread, and not said anything. If he really did want honest :censored: he  put it in the right place!

Edit: just noticed that feed back is censored! Does that count as sweat filter avoidance?!

Newportnobby

Quote from: njee20 on February 16, 2017, 02:57:34 PM
More cat videos too.

I've checked with my ginger & white cat, Hookey, and it seems he signed up to FB ages ago for that very reason ;D

Steamie+

Quote from: newportnobby on February 16, 2017, 04:08:14 PM
Quote from: njee20 on February 16, 2017, 02:57:34 PM
More cat videos too.

I've checked with my ginger & white cat, Hookey, and it seems he signed up to FB ages ago for that very reason ;D

HaHa very good NPN, thought i saw a post from him yesterday...i didn't really.. it was last Friday.        :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Steamie+

I gave up trying to post pictures here when the forum gallery software was so rubbish,

I have no problem with uploading photos onto the forum Mike, it's is exactly the same has most other media carriers really, wether it be Flicker, Dropbox, Photobucket or any of the others, they still take what ever time it takes to upload, granted it is the software sometimes and it is also what size of file you may be uploading, it is has i have said earlier, it was a bit of a problem on here, but then it just clicked i was doing something wrong and it is really fast and easy now.

But my point is why don't those Facebookers put photo's on here has well, has i have put their photo's on here and they are brilliant don't you think. I just feel lots of members maybe missing out that's all really, but then come to think about it so are those on Facebook who don't come onto the main Forum, so it's their lose.   Happy Modelling      :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations