Facebook

Started by Steamie+, February 11, 2017, 10:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steamie+

Just been on my Facebook page and the amount of N Gauge Facebookers on there posting their loco's, scratch builds and questions is unbelievable. Now while i don't mind FB, the family are on it that's why i go on it, why are these members if they are members not posting on the main site their videos, photos and asking questions, i only ask because there are forum members who don't and won't go on FB for their own personal reasons, but i would of thought that the main forum is the place to put anything onto, then FB. Don't want to alienate members but is this not the place to have the best Forum about N Gauge. While i know being on FB might advertise the forum and N Gauge,(only if your interests are modelling though) is it not better to be on the main site so you can get to hear what is happening with are chosen Gauge.    Happy Modelling.     :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sprintex

Are you talking about the NGF Facebook group?

Comes down to personal preference like everything else I suppose? Some people prefer the forum format we have here, others prefer to live on Facebook because that's where they spend most of their time :)

Paul

daffy

Not being a Facebooker, what page are you referring to, as looking at the NGF's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/NGaugeForum/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE there are very very few posts.

Is there a secret world I've never been to where all is revealed to everyone?  :goggleeyes:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

RailGooner

Personally, I don't subscribe to the always connected society. One of my friends is a member. I get a text from him and it'll be suffixed with #this and #that. And I think if you can't talk to me without having to talk to the rest of the world at the same time, then  :censored: you.

I'm getting old I guess.

railsquid

Quote from: daffy on February 11, 2017, 11:16:57 AM
Not being a Facebooker, what page are you referring to, as looking at the NGF's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/NGaugeForum/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE there are very very few posts.

Is there a secret world I've never been to where all is revealed to everyone?  :goggleeyes:
The actual Facebook group (rather than page) is this one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NGaugeForum/

It's a closed group so you probably won't see much.

Personally I must prefer the forum format, Facebook is more a constant linear flow of posts and is not structured or easily searchable so there's no build-up of collective wisdom and information like there is in the forum.

port perran

I think railsquid has put it quite well.
I'm not a Facebooker and despite several attempts Over the years, I've never been able to make head or tail of it.
The forum works well for me so I'll stick with it. Everyone to their own.

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

daffy

Thanks RS. :thumbsup:
As you suggested I just get a sign in page.

I look at other FB pages (all aircraft related) but just to read and stay in touch with developments, displays etc. I will never sign up though for various reasons, but not least is the openness of the posting I've come across, with the all too frequent postings by .... er...... let's just call them morons. :veryangry:

I like to keep a low profile. :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

MJKERR

Quote from: Steamie+ on February 11, 2017, 10:33:41 AMwhy are these members if they are members not posting on the main site their videos, photos and asking questions
The forum is excellent for text discussion
However, loading of photos is not very easy

Facebook uploading of photos is much easier
Equally, once loaded into a personal account it only takes one button to repeat that same photo on any other Facebook page

However, if you change the settings on the Facebook account and/or page you can prevent people from posting their photos
You can also go to the extreme and prevent replies!
I also recommend prevent tagging, especially on a personal account

railsquid

Quote from: MJKERR on February 11, 2017, 01:47:08 PM
Quote from: Steamie+ on February 11, 2017, 10:33:41 AMwhy are these members if they are members not posting on the main site their videos, photos and asking questions
The forum is excellent for text discussion
However, loading of photos is not very easy

Facebook uploading of photos is much easier
Equally, once loaded into a personal account it only takes one button to repeat that same photo on any other Facebook page

However, if you change the settings on the Facebook account and/or page you can prevent people from posting their photos
You can also go to the extreme and prevent replies!
I also recommend prevent tagging, especially on a personal account
I gave up uploading photos to the forum after the last update - it's easier to share them from another location like Flickr, especially as I might post in multiple locations. However Facebook is too "closed" that I'd want to rely on it exclusively.

Portpatrick

Some very valid points made above.  I am a Facebooker and use the Group and this Forum.  Yes, this forum is the best place to learn from our collective experiences and wisdom.  And it is structured and easier to find what you ant to know.  Facebook Group may be good for our new bulletins etc.

I fully agree with comments about posting photos.  On Facebook adding these to a post or creating albums is simplicity - not much more than copy/paste.  Some months ago I posted photos of my creation of some Thompson Corridor coaches on this main forum.  It took me an age to find the instructions and then longer to work out what they meant and then actually do it.  Which puts me off trying to do it.  If only it could be as simple as copy/paste!  No doubt there is a reason why it is as it is.

DesertHound

Quote from: RailGooner on February 11, 2017, 11:49:00 AM
Personally, I don't subscribe to the always connected society. One of my friends is a member. I get a text from him and it'll be suffixed with #this and #that. And I think if you can't talk to me without having to talk to the rest of the world at the same time, then  :censored: you.

I'm getting old I guess.

Wot that man said!

Facebook does seem to be the way of the world these days, but I find the forum lends itself very well to discussions. Perhaps Facebook is better for photos, as Railsquid says. I must admit that I did try and upload some pictures onto the forum the other week, but gave up in frustration at the complexity of it (Tank, are you reading?) I shall continue to support the forum we have here, since I think we are quite a community, with people even going so far as to help others out, sell/donate stock, and so on. I don't know if facebook has that "glue" that holds us together here.

As someone who has my own N Gauge website (not really competing with this forum format), I have often wondered about the merits of getting the word across on facebook. I do wonder if it will increase the number of visitors to my site. However, the luxury for me is that the site is not commercially driven and I stump up the hosting fees through my love of the hobby and wanting to share everything I know about Poole Graham Farish. Think of it more as a hobby than anything else - it's certainly not a commercial venture and I guess those who are really interested in Poole Farish (quite niche I know) will find it.

Sorry ... a bit of thread creep there. Finally, my issue with sites such as facebook is their "all consuming" nature. I work with many twenty somethings and whilst they are great people, it astounds me how they are mesmorised by their phones and the likes of facebook when we are out and about, to the point where they don't even talk to each other.

Anyway, I'm digressing. UP THE FORUM!  :NGaugersRule:
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

railsquid

Quote from: DesertHound on February 11, 2017, 02:22:01 PMPerhaps Facebook is better for photos, as Railsquid says.
Not me wot said that, I prefer to upload photos to "3rd party" sites (depending on context usually Flickr or my own server) and share as appropriate.

DesertHound

Quote from: railsquid on February 11, 2017, 02:46:16 PM
Quote from: DesertHound on February 11, 2017, 02:22:01 PMPerhaps Facebook is better for photos, as Railsquid says.
Not me wot said that, I prefer to upload photos to "3rd party" sites (depending on context usually Flickr or my own server) and share as appropriate.

Sorry Guv'nor - 'tis that half a pint I've just had  ;D
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

terrysoham

I've not been on Facebook long so I'm still finding out.  However I do agree that it is easier to post photos and videos on Facebook than it is on the main Forum.
So, for me, here for discussion and Facebook for pictures.
Terry Metcalfe
Ely and District Model Railway Club
Owner of High Lodge logging railway (009) and in the process of building a new layout based on Soham in 1944

N-Gauge-US

The people on the Facebook group can be broken into more of less 3 categories:

1. People who are mostly interested in sharing pictures and in getting feedback on those pictures
2. People who are on both FB and the main forum
3. People who you wouldn't particularly want on the main forum.

That last group is a small set of unpleasant know-it-Alls who are occasionally rude and seldom helpful. The first two groups post some wonderful info and pictures and I find it is a nice way to kill a few minutes and see some trains, without having to look through various threads. It's a bit like flipping through the train mags in the store: not super informative, but you get a quick look at some lovely photos. :) I like the fb page but the main forum is my home :)

Philip
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations