KTA/KQA container wagon by C-Rail-Intermodal

Started by woodbury22uk, February 12, 2017, 10:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ollie3440

Afternoon all,

Well this is certainly something good I would be interested in! I imagine all three variants offered will find their way onto a layout that has yet to be built and it will be interesting to compare them to my pair of ATM ones.

Cheers

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Steamie+

Quote from: njee20 on February 13, 2017, 01:44:22 PM
I don't want this to become another "bash the mod" thread, but to me it seems a crying shame that a manufacturer can't come on here to tell us about their product without having sought permission first. I get it if they're actively selling, but this is a product announcement a year off, and one which will interest a number of people.

It's a sure fire way to drive people away from the forum.

I don't see how that will drive people away really and the OP/ manufacturer did say they would be taking pre-orders at a special price, so in a way he was selling wasn't he.    :) :)

njee20

There is a dominant model railway forum in the UK, where manufacturers, retailers etc have a reasonable presence. This is a tiny forum in comparison, and people regularly moan that Dave Jones and others who are very active on RMWeb are not visible here.

With some outwardly draconian moderation (it wasn't justified until asked) they risk alienating the very people that members moan aren't visible. Will Arran bother to post again next time there's a release? I read the information on RMWeb, is it worth his trouble? That in turn will irritate the membership base, who will leave. Traffic is already pretty steady here, I'd not be wanting it to drop.

Maybe we need a 4,952nd sub forum for illicit press-releases or something.

We're spoiled with Ben and Mike, who are fantastic with Revolution, and I do understand that there are paid advertisers, which is why I think astroturfing is wrong. If retailers wish to link to their products I think it should be obvious who they are. However I would absolutely encourage the sort of press-release product announcements from Arran, I really don't understand why that is a problem.   

Steamie+

Quote from: njee20 on February 16, 2017, 07:26:27 AM
There is a dominant model railway forum in the UK, where manufacturers, retailers etc have a reasonable presence. This is a tiny forum in comparison, and people regularly moan that Dave Jones and others who are very active on RMWeb are not visible here.

With some outwardly draconian moderation (it wasn't justified until asked) they risk alienating the very people that members moan aren't visible. Will Arran bother to post again next time there's a release? I read the information on RMWeb, is it worth his trouble? That in turn will irritate the membership base, who will leave. Traffic is already pretty steady here, I'd not be wanting it to drop.

Maybe we need a 4,952nd sub forum for illicit press-releases or something.

We're spoiled with Ben and Mike, who are fantastic with Revolution, and I do understand that there are paid advertisers, which is why I think astroturfing is wrong. If retailers wish to link to their products I think it should be obvious who they are. However I would absolutely encourage the sort of press-release product announcements from Arran, I really don't understand why that is a problem.

Sorry njee20 it seems you have a problem with the forum, i don't see what's wrong with having the mods do their thankless unpaid job, if there wasn't any mods this forum would be a free for all to say what ever they what and that includes the bad language that some people can come out with, don't get me wrong i can swear has good has the best of them, but choose not to on a family forum or with people who are the same.

Please don't think i am having a go at you njee20, i am not, but rules are rules and they are there for all to see.                  Happy Modelling.     :) :) :)

njee20

I'm a member here, and post a reasonable amount, I clearly don't have a problem with it. I'm first to defend the mods (although I find some decisions curious), and have done recently. I just don't understand why this is an issue. I'm not looking for an argument, I'm genuinely curious. It seems it's very much in the interest of the membership base.

Not sure of the relevance of swearing, but I'd hope the mods aren't manually deleting swear words, rather a filter does that! I know that the common phrase that rhymes with "muddy bell' gets censored, which amuses me.

Steamie+

Quote from: njee20 on February 16, 2017, 08:20:57 AM
I'm a member here, and post a reasonable amount, I clearly don't have a problem with it. I'm first to defend the mods (although I find some decisions curious), and have done recently. I just don't understand why this is an issue. I'm not looking for an argument, I'm genuinely curious. It seems it's very much in the interest of the membership base.

Not sure of the relevance of swearing, but I'd hope the mods aren't manually deleting swear words, rather a filter does that! I know that the common phrase that rhymes with "muddy bell' gets censored, which amuses me.

I have great respect for all members on this forum and the relevance of the swearing is that it is unacceptable on a family forum and i know to my knowledge you haven't swore, (I don't think) lol, other forums will allow some swearing which i don't agree with, has for "muddy bell" nothing wrong with that.

And arguing is the last thing i need njee20 or want has well.    Happy Modelling.      :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bealman

As I have stated before on the forum, it is not the intention of the mods to alienate anyone, rather the opposite.

As to filtering of swear words, there is a filter which has actually censored a recent post of mine, even though it is shown on billboards all around NSW.

However, if an offensive word does slip through the net, we will most certainly remove it.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Quote from: Steamie+ on February 16, 2017, 08:30:29 AM
the relevance of the swearing is that it is unacceptable on a family forum and i know to my knowledge you haven't swore, (I don't think) lol, other forums will allow some swearing which i don't agree with, has for "muddy bell" nothing wrong with that.

The thing that amuses me is that Mumsnet, arguably the most "family friendly" of all has absolutely no swear filter, and half the usernames would make a sailor blush, let alone the posts!

QuoteAs I have stated before on the forum, it is not the intention of the mods to alienate anyone, rather the opposite.

I would hope for nothing less, and I'm not sure I've accused you (as the forum) of alienating anyone per se, I'm genuinely just trying to understand the rationale here, in this example, not get into the specifics of swear filters and the thankless work you guys do. What detriment is there to the advertisers of posts such as Arran's? I don't know how many places he posted it, but potentially only a couple, I'd have thought you'd embrace it?

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Sprintex

Let's dispel a few myths here shall we?

The Moderators on here do NOT do as they please with regard to editing or deleting posts, we are all answerable to Chris (Tank) who owns the forum and makes the rules. We are here to help him uphold those rules, and he is always mindful to make sure we stick to his guidelines, at times reversing a decision made by a Moderator if he feels it has been heavy-handed. In cases like this one the post by Arran was clearly advertising a new product (which is against the forum rules) by his own company, so the thread is closed and Chris notified so he can contact the member involved and make a decision. This is in fairness to the honest people who contribute financially to the upkeep of the forum in return for being allowed to advertise, the Traders who have their username in green. Why should they pay if we then allow other companies to come along and advertise for free without helping to keep the forum going? It's different sometimes when it's one person making something available in small numbers to help forum members out, that is when Chris is flexible and is willing to let adverts go on the basis that maybe that person makes some small one-off contribution to forum funds out of the meagre profit they may make, if they make anything at all. It is HIS forum though so it's his decision, no one else's.

On the subject of swearing yes there is a filter that will replace most swear words with a "censored" smiley, but unfortunately we have a small but determined portion of the membership that continually think it's clever of them to get around it by replacing characters with punctuation - '@' instead of an 'a', "!" instead of an "i" , or just replacing letters with '*'. None of this is acceptable, it is just not needed on a model railway forum, especially one that encourages youngsters to join in. And yes we are well aware some young people know more swear words than we do, but we need to set an example.

Finally, continual arguing and protesting about the rules in threads like this does nothing for the harmony of the forum, and takes the emphasis away from the subject, probably much to the annoyance of the OP in many cases! Chris is quite clear on this - if you have a problem with a post, the rules, or the way something has been done either use the 'Report to Moderator' link at the bottom of the post, which will notify the whole team that a report has been made (and Chris does monitor this closely), or send him a PM directly. Bitching on the open forum is just not helpful to anyone.

Paul

Skyline2uk

In an effort to expand my knowledge; are these wagons Chunnel cleared?

It would seem to me that the main aim of them is to bring previously out of gauge containers into UK loading gauge and as such taking them through the tunnel would be logical?

Sorry for the daft question!

Skyline2uk

acko22

From what I read here:

http://www.ltsv.com/w_profile_055.php

They are designed to so they can be used in the tunnel but rarely did.
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Skyline2uk

Quote from: acko22 on February 16, 2017, 12:52:04 PM
From what I read here:

http://www.ltsv.com/w_profile_055.php

They are designed to so they can be used in the tunnel but rarely did.

Thanks acko, interesting read.

Skyline2uk

Arran

HI All

Well I suppose the rules are  the rules, it might be an idea to have a suppliers section that new posts can be vetted or approved.

=C=Rail= was started because I wanted N gauge containers for the trains on Law junction and one thing led to another.

If its OK I will keep you informed here about progress with the cads which will be March some time.

Regards Arran

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations