Videos on the forum ?

Started by MalcolmInN, September 16, 2017, 01:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

Not a problem, just curious and not sure where to post this question :
Can we post videos in our galleries ? If so which format ?

As a result of the flickering tutorial I have been playing with a video/editor/compressor of my humble efforts with some LEDs in a make-shift model workshop as an AVI.  It started as 230Mb only 10seconds !! eeek! but I have reduced it to about 5Mb, the picture limit is 7Mb but the upload errored out with something like 'not a valid format' Does this mean not a valid still picture ie. no videos accepted  or a wrong video format ? ?

I see some videos on the forum, but all via youtube, is this the only way ?

Tank

I'm afraid that no video formats are allowed on here due to them quickly filling up our server space!  Please use Youtube or another 3rd party site and link back here.  Thanks!

MJKERR

Now that embedding only has been confirmed, let's move on to the media format
Is there any reason why you are using AVI?

Yes, some formats give excellent results on a local machine, but with internet connections compression is everything (sadly)
What happened when you converted from the original AVI to MP4 (for example)?

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Tank on September 16, 2017, 08:25:10 AMno video formats are allowed
No prob. I just wanted to check that it wasnt me being stupid.

Quote from: MJKERR on September 16, 2017, 10:58:36 AMIs there any reason why you are using AVI?
AVI to MP4 (for example)?
no particular reason, it was originally a humungus big MOV out of the camera.
googling I found an interesting looking editor VirtualDub which said it worked best with AVI (didnt work at all with mov !)
So another google produced Pazera converter which gave me an avi.

Virtual dub also had a compressor with various options that produced a clip of 5Mb (also in avi) which, being smaller than the permitted picture size limit I thought it worth the try.
So, in other words no particular reason, just a comedy of errors I suppose :)

Thanks for your thoughts/help, I will look at other options like mp4 and 'tube etc.

Bealman

I'll love this thread when you all start talking English!  ;) :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

MJKERR

Quote from: MalcolmAL on September 16, 2017, 11:37:15 AM
no particular reason, it was originally a humungus big MOV out of the camera
It might be useful to create some sample videos on your media device (camera or video camera?), and then compare

I did this by setting up my Canon EOS on a tripod, setting to 1920px and then recording exactly 8 minutes of video
The file sizes could then be compared
I then took the smallest and largest, and compared them visually
After this I then uploaded them to YouTube
As a result of this I now record in 1920px in MP4 format

Newportnobby

All of my railway (real or model) vids are on 'Dropbox' as it's a piece of cake to link them elsewhere.
Not sure if Dropbox are charging for this but I still get 'em free.
2GB limit though for freeby hosting.

MalcolmInN

Size of the file was not the problem though, it was no longer humungous :) and was less than the allowed picture file*. The problem is that it is a video so not allowed, fair enough, that mystery is now solved. I am happy that it wasnt tinger frubble my end :)
(*Actually it is only 5 of the 289 that remains of my 290Mb allocation for pictures!)

No worries, it was only to show REGP (and anyone else in the flickering tutorial topic) what he would be getting if he followed down my 5mmLED route, instead of the tealight/candle type, but for a few pennies he will soon find out lol!

Dorsetmike

Dropbox here too, I normally link to individual files but for a test this is a link to a folder of vids, some from the Bournemouth shows 2015 & 2016 & a couple of my test track; could some of you test the link and see if you can get individual files from the folder link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/padscd8c6mtci6s/AABUAHfHTnFAYEdRa_dGnkswa?dl=0
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Dorsetmike on September 16, 2017, 05:08:38 PM
could some of you test the link and see if you can get individual files from the folder link.
Just downloaded "insandouts" , had to use IE to get it though as K-Meleon doesnt like it for some reason un-flagged :(

Yes, looks ok, watching it now.

Zogbert Splod

Hi Mike, I just watched one of the vids from your Dropbox link. Using my Android tablet I was able to view one of the top layer vids with no problems, then, going to the included folder,  I was able to view one of the three files in there also.
Hope that helps.

Regards, Allan.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Dorsetmike

Thanks Allan and Malcolm, that could save me posting a number of links, just group the vids or images in a folder and link to that. Handy for posting vids from a model show show, classic car show or a folk festival and other venues.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

MalcolmInN

Update : Ignore my bit about K-Meleon, it is a K-M problem not Dropbox.

Normally when instructed to save a file it pops up a window asking "where to?", but on these it didnt.  However when I look at my internet traffic something is being downloaded but where to is a mystery ! ! I've checked all the usual download and temp locations - not a trace. Dont you just love these computery things.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations