Windows-r scam

Started by Ditape, June 04, 2018, 03:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ditape

Warning this scam could be detrimental to your wallet.

Windows-r scam people are making scam telephone calls claiming to be from your ISP trying to get you to press the windows and r keys on your computer and then using the info displayed to try and persuade you to allow remote installation of software on your computer because your computer is being attacked by hackers, trying to convince you that if you do not do this they will shut your internet off, and they will try and charge you between £50 and £500 pounds for their service.
Diane Tape

port perran

Thanks for the warning Di.
This sort of thing is becoming all too common I'm afraid.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Snowwolflair

I had something similar.  I told them the key combination did not work, they persisted many times and I told them it still did not work.  I even confirmed it was a Windows machine and that it was version 10.

Eventually I asked them if it would help if I turned the machine on.   :D  I wont repeat what he said before he hung up :laugh3:

njee20

Surely Windows+R is just the Run prompt?

This sort of thing has been going on for many years. It makes a change people are claiming to be from ISPs as opposed to "phoning from Windows"!

port perran

Quote from: Snowwolflair on June 04, 2018, 04:01:33 PM
I had something similar.  I told them the key combination did not work, they persisted many times and I told them it still did not work.  I even confirmed it was a Windows machine and that it was version 10.

Eventually I asked them if it would help if I turned the machine on.   :D  I wont repeat what he said before he hung up :laugh3:
I like to play them along too if I'm in the mood.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Malc

I too like to string them along a bit. The other month, a foreign gentleman tried to convince me I had a virus. I asked him how he knew and he said he could see it on my PC. I told him that was fantastic as the machine hadn't worked since the power supply blew up the previous week.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Buzzard

Here's a quick summary of a conversation I had with one of these "people"

Caller:  I'm from your ISP blah blah blah
Me:  Please send me an e-mail to confirm your identity
Caller:  What's your e-mail address
Me:  If you're my ISP you'd know my e-mail address
Caller:  Which e-mail address
Me:  You choose

Needless to say the line went dead quite quickly :D

dannyboy

I had one of these 'phone calls a while back. I sounded really interested in what he was saying and after a couple of minutes I told him that I worked for a security company, (true), and that one of our IT guys was testing a new system for identifying unknown callers locations, (not true), and would he mind hanging on for another 30 seconds so we could test the new system - the line suddenly went dead!  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

themadhippy

I think im finally on there "do not bother " list as i haven't had a call for a few months,on one call i even managed to get passed up to a "senior technical manager" after the original scammer  didn't know what to do when i said my keyboard didn't have a windows key. The last one was to do with my recent car accident,they hung up after  i told them the accident was entirely my fault as i shouldn't  have been driving at the time due to being extremely drunk,and registered blind.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Snowwolflair

My friend just says "since the accident I have lost my short term memory" and then feeds them a complete fairy tail until they just go nuts.

Newportnobby

My response is usually to ask them for their full details, as I had not asked them to call and therefore would be referring them to my solicitor for invasion of privacy. Click! Dialling tone :D

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 04, 2018, 08:13:06 PM
My response is usually to ask them for their full details, as I had not asked them to call and therefore would be referring them to my solicitor for invasion of privacy. Click! Dialling tone :D
Now we can also threaten them with a fine for GDPR non-compliance, contacting us without consent.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

themadhippy

QuoteNow we can also threaten them with a fine for GDPR non-compliance, contacting us without consen
you mean like the tps that stopped  all those nuisance phone calls.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: themadhippy on June 04, 2018, 09:18:39 PM
you mean like the tps that stopped  all those nuisance phone calls.
Oh!  You are such a cynic...   :wave:  :thumbsup:  Hee-hee-hee.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Malc

The best way to handle spam callers....
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations