Control Panel Drawing Software - ideas?

Started by DarrwestLU6, May 12, 2018, 02:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Pelham

@Pelhama
Hi Mark
Can you remember what thickness perspex you used for the painted facia?
Ta

Kirky
[/quote]

Hi Kirky,

If I recall correctly, it was around 4mm. The LED bezels didn't fit quite as designed, but it was considered to be more sturdy given the panel size.

In hindsight it would probably have been better with 2-3mm and provide more support in the woodwork.

You have to be very careful drilling the holes as the Perspex chips/cracks easily - one panel I built I hand drilled all the holes - literally holding a drill bit and turning it manually. It can be done with power drills, but take your time with it.

Cheers,

Mark

Newportnobby

The perspex I used is, in reality, a cheap clear acylic sheet called 'Liteglaze' and it's available in 4ft x 2ft or 2ft x 1ft sheets I seem to recall. As Mark says, it pays to do everything with hand tools and still it can easily fracture. I used a razor saw (slowly) to cut it to size and a hand drill (even more slowly) to create necessary holes. I got this in the glazing department at my local builders merchants and it really is cheap as chips. As a rough estimate I'd say it was about 2½-3mm thick.

Mark Pelham

I have usually cut perspex as if it were very thick, brittle plasticard - several passes with a Stanley knife, then snap it across a sturdy straight edge - I have been know to have to cut a replacement panel!

I find this method tends to leave a tidier finish, with just a small amount of burring to remove compared to one I cut with a saw.

The LEDs on the West Tilgate panel used the single piece 'bezels' which are quite large, requiring an 8mm hole. Previous panels used the two-part LED 'clips', but the latter are designed for thinner sheet material. It is possible to use the two-part clips on thicker sheet material - the correct technique is for sheet material 1.5 times the optimum thickness, apply 4 time the brute force and ignorance. Too much brute force will require either an excessive amount of ignorance, or a new sheet of Perspex.

Cheers,

Mark

DarrwestLU6

@Pelhama
Mark - thanks for the info and photos - looks really good!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

stevewalker

I don't know if I was just lucky, but I've managed to drill perspex before using a high speed wood drill (the flat type) rather than a twist drill.

Newportnobby

When I fit my 'proper' perspex to the main layout I have been advised to use HSS drill bits and take my time over it :hmmm:

NinOz

When I was working, the guys in the fabrication workshop said to drill slowly with a blunt HSS drill, heating and softening the interface.  This is to stop the drill biting off too much and cracking the sheet.  For cutting sheet it was recommended to use a fine toothed table saw or a jigsaw with a slow feed rate.
Haven't broken one as yet.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations