Window 10 Update

Started by dodger, January 30, 2018, 01:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodger

Quote from: Dorsetmike on January 31, 2018, 10:40:28 AM
You'd think that by now Microsoft's progammers would be able to get things right first time and not need to keep fixing things that should have been right first time. Possibly also be able to make it sufficiently "fireproof" that  security updates should be less frequent.

As I see it, Mike, they are trying to come up with new ideas to keep up with competitors, phone industry, and geeks. The totally ignore Mr/s Average who wants a computer to do work on and often only use simple software packages. Most of the work I do on a computer I could do with MS works and windows 3.11.

It wouldn't be so bad if they gave a choice if things to install, I've lost count of the times I've uninstalled candy crush saga, or tested the systems properly in the first place.

Dodger

dodger

My laptop is about 5 years old and is perfect for what I need. It may fail one day but until then it is staying. I can find better things, model railways, to spend my money on than buying the latest laptop just to please the industry.

As an aside I bought a Samsung J3, mainly to save taking the laptop on holiday. An update just before Christmas prevented me transferring photos to the laptop. A few days later a patch cured the problem.

Dodger

themadhippy

QuoteI think its time to say goodbye windows, any ideas of a good alternative
Been using  ubuntu linux  which mint is based on,for many years without any issues.For surfing,email and office tasks it will do everything you need,the only issue is if you need to run specific windoze software,but with wine and virtual box you can get most things running if theres not a similar open source version.The best bits,its free ,runs on old hardware, and you can update to the latest version whilst your still using the machine.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Malc

I agree with TMH, Mint is pretty good.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

EtchedPixels

Disclaimer: I work for Intel

That said pretty much all my machines are a few years old because I run Linux on second hand workstation/server systems that are really fast and expandable compared with typical desktops  but as far as their original market is concerned too old (things like the Dell T5500 workstations)'. Most of it runs Linux although some of the games stuff is Windows 7 because of things like Roblox. Only new bits on them are graphics cards and sometimes SSDs.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

keithfre

Quote from: themadhippy on February 02, 2018, 03:43:41 PM
Been using  ubuntu linux  which mint is based on,for many years without any issues.For surfing,email and office tasks it will do everything you need,
The issue I have with linux is file management. I'm used to a drive C for the system and drive D for data files and a Norton Commander-style two-pane file manager for managing files and moving them around. I have found similar file managers for linux, but not as friendly, and navigating the unix-style drive and directory structure used by linux is a pain in the proverbial. When downloading files, for instance, I like to know where they are and be able to move them around. But for that I might well have switched to linux some time ago.

Dorsetmike

Quote from: njee20 on January 31, 2018, 12:45:09 PM
Not wishing to make an example of you DorsetMike, but I recall you posting a screenshot of your computer previously when seeking help, and you had all manner of slightly unusual plug ins, add-ons and utilities. It's perhaps no surprise that eventually some software update won't play nicely with all these things, but I'd not blame the software update. I still agree with Red_Death -
Microsoft aren't filling your computer with bloatware.
Had a look through my previous posts and my gallery, the only screen shot I can find is one of Micrografx Picture Publisher, an image editing software I've been using since V2 in 1991/2 through V 10 which I'm srill using; maybe you could post a link for me.

As I've stated I use Win 7 Pro 64 bit with upgrades disabled on 2 PCs and a laptop both PCs and laptop have solid state drives for programmes, hard drives for data, images, audio etc; I use Firefox as browser and Thunderbird for Email; AVG free, Adblock plus, Google for search and maps none of which I would class as unusual. Foxit for PDFs, Audacity for Audio work, Avidemux for video, Picasa for photo viewing, and a Jigsaw puzzle programme, again nothing there particularly unusual except perhaps the jigsaw one although I would class it uncommon rather than unusual.

I worked in electronics for over 40 years, much of that time I was instructing both in the RAF and Industry so I consider myself reasonably conversant with the subject; I also spent some time programming 8080, 8085 & Z80 processors in machine code (not assembler).
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

themadhippy

Quote from: keithfre on February 02, 2018, 04:08:50 PM

The issue I have with linux is file management. I'm used to a drive C for the system and drive D for data files and a Norton Commander-style two-pane file manager for managing files and moving them around. I have found similar file managers for linux, but not as friendly, and navigating the unix-style drive and directory structure used by linux is a pain in the proverbial. When downloading files, for instance, I like to know where they are and be able to move them around. But for that I might well have switched to linux some time ago.
Agreed ,at first the linux file structure seems odd,but then again think back to the very first time you used any operating system.Theres no real need to go much further than the home directory ,or in windows speak c:/users/username, the individual directories for downloads, documents etc all can be found here,but there physical location can be on another drive,and its easy to copy your home file from an old machine to a new one,keeping most of your stuff intact. Theres no need for 3rd party file managers as you can open individual directories in separate windows and individual files or directories can be dragged between them, however if you do want a third party file manager the biggest advantage of linux comes into play,most of the software is free,not just free trial.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

njee20

Quote from: Dorsetmike on February 02, 2018, 05:21:28 PM
Quote from: njee20 on January 31, 2018, 12:45:09 PM
Not wishing to make an example of you DorsetMike, but I recall you posting a screenshot of your computer previously when seeking help, and you had all manner of slightly unusual plug ins, add-ons and utilities. It's perhaps no surprise that eventually some software update won't play nicely with all these things, but I'd not blame the software update. I still agree with Red_Death -
Microsoft aren't filling your computer with bloatware.
Had a look through my previous posts and my gallery, the only screen shot I can find is one of Micrografx Picture Publisher, an image editing software I've been using since V2 in 1991/2 through V 10 which I'm srill using; maybe you could post a link for me.

Every chance I was wrong, and apologies if that were the case, I recall a thread with someone seeking advice on (if I recall) a toolbar they wanted to use that had been "broken" by Microsoft, and it appeared they used huge numbers of obscure programs and add-ons which were clearly bloating the computer vastly more than any update! For me that epitomises the issues with Microsoft - people just have real edge case usage scenarios.

EtchedPixels

The weird corner cases are always a problem - always will be. Linux tries not to break stuff, Microsoft likewise.

The one that really amazes me is Apple - breaking support for loads of older iOS apps in iOS11. That's causing several people I know utter mayhem because the apps they depend upon are never going to get updated to 64bit, and their kids favourite games likewise.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations