Email malware attacks

Started by guest373, June 19, 2017, 04:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLD

Why does well-meant advice to all users always descend into a 'my OS is better /more secure than yours' argument??  ??? ::) :confused2:

In Short:
There are fewer viruses created targetting MACs than PCs - FACT
If a virus infects 0.1% of PCs that is a greater number of victims than 10% of MACs - FACT
With ANY OS, if you do not have up-to-date Anti-Virus protection you ARE more vulnerable than if you do. - FACT
but whatever the OS, ANY A/V is better than no AV - FACT...

Let's just acknowledge and take heed of the warning without the usual Off-topic arguments please...
:thankyousign:

austinbob

Quote from: PLD on June 20, 2017, 07:52:33 AM
Why does well-meant advice to all users always descend into a 'my OS is better /more secure than yours' argument??  ??? ::) :confused2:

There are fewer viruses created targetting MACs than PCs - FACT
Just as an addition to this recent information suggests that
50% of users use Windows 7
27% of users use Windows 10
3.6% of users use Mac
and the remainder scattered around other operating systems
I'm sure hackers are more likely to attack the operating systems of the highest percentage of users.

Nothing to do with which, if any, operating system is best at fending off attacks.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

daffy

Quote from: PLD on June 20, 2017, 07:52:33 AM

Argument? :confused1: :confused1: :hmmm:  I wasn't aware that anyone was arguing, nor stating anything of the kind. :no: As for my own earlier posts on this thread, lighthearted as ever, I had hoped that all I was saying was that none of us, whatever system we run, are immune to the threats that the OP was highlighting for us all, 'Email malware attacks', and that Apple users will also have to be ever more vigilant .

If my earlier post was seen as any form of what you suggest, it was not my intent.

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

broadsword

austinbob

Quote from: daffy on June 20, 2017, 09:50:20 AM

I had hoped that all I was saying was that none of us, whatever system we run, are immune to the threats that the OP was highlighting for us all, 'Email malware attacks', and that Apple users will also have to be ever more vigilant .
Thats the way I read it and I'm sure others did as well.
I'm just off to clean the viruses out of my computer with my Hoover. Is it safe to put them in the dustbin afterwards or should I pour disinfectant on them first??
:) :beers:

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Bealman

I'm going to leave this to our technician, but as a mod, I'd like to see the link in the original post removed.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

austinbob

Bob Austin

daffy

Quote from: austinbob on June 20, 2017, 09:59:27 AM
Thats the way I read it and I'm sure others did as well.
I'm just off to clean the viruses out of my computer with my Hoover. Is it safe to put them in the dustbin afterwards or should I pour disinfectant on them first??
:) :beers:

Don't you own a flamethrower? :hmmm:

And you'll need a new Hoover too. Never can be too careful. ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

NinOz

Quote from: themadhippy on June 19, 2017, 06:43:39 PM
good job yer not using apple dos 3.3  or youd be vulnerable to possible the first computer virus seen in the wild, way  back in 1982
Thanks for the nostalgia boost. :claphappy:
Apple ][+, DOS 3.2 with 5/1 encoding, DOS 3.3 with 6/2 encoding, RDOS, track and sector headers, sync bytes, nibble editors, nibble counting, protections systems, protection hacking.
Happy days. :thumbsup:
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

guest373

link removed as requested, I had used it myself. So was okay at that time.

Tony

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations