The Turned Out All Right in the End Thread

Started by poliss, December 31, 2011, 07:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwin_m

My mother-in-law put 13 amp fuses in all her table lamps because she would rather reset the main breaker than have to search around for another fuse.  I tried to explain the concept of the soft short and what might happen to the 3A flex if about 12A went through it...

brbluewill

sprayed my track with railmatch sleeper grime and stunk the house out much to the swmbo anger ;D ;D ;D on the up side track looks great ;D ;D ;D
Where our songs are challenged we shall sing them all the louder!!!!!

Pete Mc

How do,I got up for work this morning at 6 oclock,first day back after new year break,did my damn near 10 hour shift,then came home.What a result.Turned out fine.

I'm gonna do it again tomorrow. ;D

Pete
:Class37: :NGaugersRule:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Irish Padre

Decided I had to make some productive use of my incapacity so decided to build a Metcalfe goods shed. Got out some Roket card glue (don't know why they spell it like that!). Despite my best efforts , glue seemed to go everywhere and leave a blue deposit on the card! Anyway, persevered at it , the blue stuff seemed to disappear as it dried, and a passable model resulted!

poliss

Because you can't trade mark Rocket, but you can trade mark Roket.

Mustermark

So, I spent yesterday evening in the local A&E after an episode of extreme modeling.

I fitted a brand new shiny super-sharp scalpel blade to my sturdy metal and rubber handled modeling knife, and it promptly rolled off the table, blade first into my foot.

I looked down only to see my sock turning red.  On removing said sock I see a swelling the size of half an egg.  Turns out the blade cut a vein and most of the blood was collecting under the skin.

I had a moment, you know, the sort when you think "I really should be brave about this" but you actually sound like you're 7 again and you fell off your bike... I shouted for my wife at the top of my voice to inform her that "I cut myself". She very politely came to see what the heck the fuss was about. "Oh, yes, so you have. Ooh, that looks bad" she says.

Liz very calmly drove me the three miles to A&E.  They X-rayed it and gave me a tetanus and then, of all the high tech available, they put a band-aid on.

My wallet is the equivalent of £100 lighter as medical insurance is like car insurance here and there was an excess to pay.

Worst of all I missed 4 hours of modeling time.

But the foot, apart from being black and blue, is fine today.  That band-aid did the trick, so it turned out alright in the end.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

longbridge

Crikey Mark that was a mini disaster, pleased you got fixed up OK but the $$$ you spent getting it seen to could have bought you a loco or two, Yikes.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Bikeracer

Hi Mark,

Glad it was no worse. :thumbsup:

Suggestion...use proper scalpels because they don't roll but stay put, and the blades are more secure and don't come loose.I've got some round handles purely because some of the blades I use only fit round,twist to tighten type handles which tend to loosen.

Of course I've still dropped scalpels,but luckily have managed to miss my feet up to now,just a matter of time I think though. :)

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Jerry Howlett

Hope you didn't snap the blade ! :smiley-laughing:
Glad to hear it was alright but £100 for a band aid, I thought they were expensive enough here.

Cheers
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Mustermark

Just tidying up before Liz gets home.  I washed the covers off the sofa (cat hair etc). Odd clanking sound fromwashing machine.  What can that be, i wonder... Just found out that the TV remote was wrapped up in the covers. Lovely clean remote, just not very functional. D'oh!

TV company is sending a new one free of charge. Will be here by Wed.  We can use the other one from upstairs in the meantime. Whew!

Worked out alright in the end!

polo2k

pop it on a radiator for a couple of hours without batteries. if it still doent work then open her up and see if there are any deposits that can be removed with a toothbrush.
If you can get it working again, you can each have a remote ;d
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

MinZaPint

Quote from: polo2k on January 22, 2012, 09:42:59 AM
pop it on a radiator for a couple of hours without batteries. if it still doent work then open her up and see if there are any deposits that can be removed with a toothbrush.
If you can get it working again, you can each have a remote ;d

You been envolved in many divorces!!!
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Mustermark

I think i'm better off keeping the broken remote as a dummy.  Then i can sit and pretend i have some control over the viewing. :smiley-laughing:  Forunately i only watch a few things on TV and dont feel like i'm missing out too much - i'd rather just bugger off upstairs and do some modelling. :thumbsup:

Bikeracer

Finally got the two outer roundy,roundy tracks joined up after ripping all the Insulfrog points out and fitting Electrofrog,but I've not fitted any polarity switches to the points,just used insulating fishplates on the frogs.

Big day today,vacuumed and cleaned the track ready for a test run...oh dear a short somewhere,where to start looking to find it?
Put some paper slips between the point blades and the rail to stop them making contact...no short anymore.

Decided that I would have to go round all fifteen points and put insulating joiners on all the exit rails from the points rather than just on the frogs,not an easy task because it's all glued down now.

Anyway I managed to do the first one with a struggle and went to do the next one,then I saw the problem,I'd mistakenly put a normal metal fishplate in on one leg of the frog,removed the the offending fishplate by uttering magic words accompanied by much poking with a screw driver, can't get a new insulating fishplate in but at least there are no shorts now and I've run a loco through all the points and all round the track.
I like the improved slow running without stuttering through the Electrofrog points.If I'd known there was no need to wire the frog up to change polarity I'd never have used the Insulfrog in the first place.

So after the panic and depression it all turned out alright.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Mustermark

Nice one.  Clearly defying Murphy's Law which would dictate it should have been the last one you did to notice the problem.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations