Windows 10 A breath of fresh air.

Started by Geoff, July 30, 2015, 12:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themadhippy

QuoteAt the theatre we run our lighting and sound systems under windows 10
why o why are your control computers allowed anywhere near the Internet?my lighting pc,running chamsys has never been online,and still runs very stable under xp,ok its a bit more work to get fixture profiles and software upgrades,but id rather that than  risking the latest upgrade blacking  the rig out just as the talent walks on stage.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

pctrainman

At the end of the day it all depends on what you want from an O/S and what you use it for , if like me you use a Lenz based Automation system then as far as i'm concerned Windoze 7 is still my best option ,win 8 and 8.1 remind me very much of the appalling Vista ( which in it's Beta versions was pretty much win 7 then they neutered it on release) Win 10 is great if you want a direct line to GCHQ /NSA , MAC is for Fashionistas ( but i'm still fond of them although do not use one ) and then there's Linux ( takes a little re learning and then the world is your Oyster co's there's deffo a Pearl inside .

Fardap

Although I would have agreed about turning off Internet Explorer, I haven't used it in years use Chrome mainly... The Edge browser in Win10 is a refreshing change and having had some issues with Chrome running very slow (it seems to do that once a year after an update so assume they occasionally get it wrong) I have been using Edge as default browser since it was updated with more functionality.

Still has some things that I have to revert to Chrome/Firefox for - certain websites and dialog boxes that send it into a mini meltdown, but other than that it is really worth a try if you have the latest version of it Microsoft Edge 38.14393.0.0 is the one I am using with Microsoft EdgeHTML 14.14393

Ian Bowden

Quote from: themadhippy on October 20, 2016, 11:54:33 AM
QuoteAt the theatre we run our lighting and sound systems under windows 10
why o why are your control computers allowed anywhere near the Internet?my lighting pc,running chamsys has never been online,and still runs very stable under xp,ok its a bit more work to get fixture profiles and software upgrades,but id rather that than  risking the latest upgrade blacking  the rig out just as the talent walks on stage.
We use lightfactory and also communicate with the servers held elsewhere in the building. The software allows remote control over the network for setting up using mobile phones. We put the PC's into flight mode before shows. It's never been a problem until anniversary update.

themadhippy

QuoteWe use lightfactory and also communicate with the servers held elsewhere in the building. The software allows remote control over the network for setting up using mobile phones.
I also use my phone as a focus remote,however theres still no need to have external Internet access turned on,as for external servers,apart from media servers,which again are dedicated machines only carrying out that task, there should be no need to connect to any  other server, sounds like your using a multii purpose machine to also run your lighting software,a rather risky move in my opinion.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations