Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailGooner

Happy to hear your good news David. :beers:

daveg

Excellent!

I share the same 'benefits' as Mick where if I had to pay for all the meds I take, the bill would be half my pension!

Such great news for you and I hope that you long continue in good health.

Can't wait to see what you buy yourself as a 'Good Job  :claphappy:' prezzie!

Dave G

Steamie+

Thats great news David, so go out and enjoy life and forget all the rubbish thats been before, has for the tablets i take 10 different ones a day + my inhalers so glad to get them free now.

Happy Modelling David.  :thumbs:

daffy

Went to RAF Coningsby today to watch RAF Typhoon Dislay Pilot 2017
Flight Lieutenant Ryan Lawton put his aircraft through its paces as he did a 'currency' full display over the airfield.

Just magic! :thumbsup:

Here's a video from YouTube of part of the display, filmed in March when the pilot was still practising for his PDA on 18th May.

My short visit was also a chance to see four Spitfires and a Hurricane of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight parked outside their hanger. After the Typhoon display the Hurri and a Spit took off for some practise close flying. Also had a Tornado do a low pass over the runway before landing.

It's been a day for seeing low flyers today, with a Boeing C-17 Globemaster III overflying Sutton on Sea as my wife and I sat on the promenade eating our lunch, and two very fast and low American F15's (E variant 'Strike Eagles' from Lakenheath I think) rattling the windows and setting off a car alarm as they roared directly overhead in a banking turn as I was fueling my car at the local garage.

It's been a good day today. :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

Afraid modern jets do nothing for me, but just the sound of a Merlin engine can reduce me to a blubbering wreck :-[

daffy

Quote from: newportnobby on May 23, 2017, 09:15:21 PM
Afraid modern jets do nothing for me, but just the sound of a Merlin engine can reduce me to a blubbering wreck :-[

I have to confess that the BBMF aircraft are my greatest passion, Merlins, Packard Merlins, and Griffons on all but the Dakota 'Kwicherbichen' with its Pratt & Witney radial.

More than magic. :thumbsup:

And living so close to them is wonderful.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

Quote from: newportnobby on May 23, 2017, 09:15:21 PM
just the sound of a Merlin engine can reduce me to a blubbering wreck

One in a Spitfire or 4 in a Lancaster - magic  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Malc

Was it 2 in a Mosquito?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

daffy

Quote from: Malc on May 23, 2017, 10:13:33 PM
Was it 2 in a Mosquito?

Yep!

For me the most beautiful of the twin engined aircraft.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

javlinfaw7

Why does every one forget the chipmunks.This was the machine a whole generation of RAF Pilots took their first steps in and air cadets their first experience of flight

daffy

Quote from: javlinfaw7 on May 23, 2017, 10:28:57 PM
Why does every one forget the chipmunks.

I don't.

But perhaps, when it comes to the BBMF's aircraft, it's because they are rarely used for display purposes compared to their stablemates, but are more used to teach modern RAF pilots joining the BBMF the characteristics of a tail-dragger. Also, most see the BBMF as a WWII era remembrance, which is far from the truth, and the Chipmunks are post-war aircraft.

Perhaps.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

RailGooner

While I was stationed at Coningsby in the early 80s, I was taken out of my trade for 3 months and tasked with making a model of the Station. BoB Flight had a chipmunk and the Station Commander ordered that I be taken on recce flights as and when I wanted.  8)

javlinfaw7

Happily the Irish Historic Flight use the Chipmunk as their main  display aircraft and though not as powerful or awe inspiring as a Spitfire, Hurricane or Lancaster they provide a spirited display along side a De Havilland Dragon

Tom U

My first flight was in a Chipmunk as a new apprentice at RAF Halton  :)

Dorsetmike

My oldest son was an apprentice at Cosford and had joined the gliding club, some months later with a few hours gliding he was taken on his "air experience" flight and was allowed a go at the controls. He felt a nudge from a thermal and instinctively turned into it and commenced spiralling up in said Thermal, the Wing co pilot could not at first believe the rate of climb, but they then spent the rest of the flight practicing thermalling the Chipmunk.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations