Not a problem, just curious

Started by TrevL, October 21, 2016, 10:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevL

Please could you tell me what the "2" in the little red box next to my avatar signify? Thanks.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Malc

Sorry Trev, I can't see a red box with a 2 in it next to your avatar by your post, however, if you mean at the top where it says Hello TrevL, you can click on that and see who gave thanks etc.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

TrevL

Yes that's it.  I kept clicking on the red box but nothing happened, but when I clicked the little blue triangle next to it, it showed me the alerts. Thanks Malc.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Bealman

Yep, that's  it. Click it to see thanks, alerts, etc.   :thumbsup:

Thanks, Malc!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Webbo

I'm happy - I just learned something today.

Thanks Malc

lil chris

am I missing something here, I have no blue triangle or little red box...?

ps I have learnt nothing.....
ps 2 I have learnt how to do tagging so I am not a complete numpty......
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

daffy

Chris, I've just done a 'thank you ' on your last post.
On the main Forum index page take a look at the top,left of the page below where it says " Hello lil chris, and at the bottom of the links to posts you've made  etc, there will be a little faded triangle with an exclamation mark in it and, hopefully now, a red thing next to it. Click on the triangle and see what happens.

HERES THE SAME AREA ON MY SCREEN

Hello daffy
Show all unread posts.
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
Show own posts. Show own topics.
October 26, 2016, 11:32:40 pm
  TRIANGLE IS HERE

-obviously it won't say the bit in capitals ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daffy

Chris, I think I have just solved your problem here.

I noticed today that the self-same detail I had illustrated above was now missing from my own Forum pages - no triangle, no list of links to posts etc.

Intrigued by this change I searched around and purely by accident I caught the top right of my iPad screen. The exact point is below the NGF header picture but above the 'Search' button. Here, almost invisible, is a little chevron mark in grey.
I clicked on this and it proves to be a toggle switch that, hey voila! switches the left hand detail, including triangle (for Alerts), that I had posted above, off and on.

Hope this is truly the solution to the triangle and alerts not showing on your screen.

:thumbsup:

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Malc

That white arrow on a white background has caught a few of us out over the years. I touched it accidentally once on my iPad and couldn't work out what had happened.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

daffy

I wonder if it can be changed to be more noticeable?

Might save a lot of Members thinking they're getting old and addled when they do what we did Malc. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

I knew about getting alerts, but on clicking the (very) pale triangle, you get the message box and there is a link called 'Alerts Settings' - you can set the settings to receive any or all alerts.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Quote from: daffy on October 28, 2016, 06:15:34 PM

Might save a lot of Members thinking they're getting old and addled when they do what we did Malc. :D

Far too late, Mike. I am old and addled :-[

daffy

.... er.....um..... oh...well, I was going to reply to the last post but I can't remember what I was going to say :confused2: :uneasy: :-\
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations