Painting

Started by NTrain, March 19, 2018, 04:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NTrain

Hmmm.

Tried to use my airbrush today. Couldn't get any paint pulling through at 30psi, so gradually upped it to 50psi.

Think I thinned the acrylic paint too much, but even so, I didn't get a very good coverage. Paint seems to be taking forever to dry.

Maybe I don't remember enough of the technique, but will keep at it, although, not now, as my back does not allow me long to sit, for long, doing things these rays.

njee20

Sounds more like it's blocked than anything - 30psi should be more than enough, at 50psi I'd expect it to create total carnage!

Have you tried just spraying neat thinners/IPA/white spirit/water? No point wasting paint.

What type of airbrush? Can you remove the cup and apply a liquid straight into the airflow, rule out a blockage somewhere in the cup.

Remove the needle and give it a really good clean and a polish with some metal polish. Check the nozzle.

NTrain

Never used it until today..................

And trying to remember how to use it correctly.

There is certainly air pushing through, but not convinced it is pulling the paint from the pot.

Will cut back to 30psi and see if I can find any blocks.

njee20

What's the brush? Not teaching you to suck eggs but if it's dual action you'll have to draw back on the trigger as well as pushing it.

NTrain

There isn't a brand name on the box, but the very basic instructions do say push down and pull back. Doesn't say much more than that I'm afraid.

Big bad John

some duel action ones have an adjustment for the paint. on mine you have to pull off the plastic cover at the tail end of the brush and there is a knurled nut to adjust the amount the needle will move when the trigger is pulled back.

NTrain

NTrain

It looks like an adjuster under the rear cover (around part 15 on diagram). I turned this and the flow has improved.

I think the paint I am using is not really suitable for airbrushing, or I mixed it wrong. It is acrylic paint, which my wife got for rock painting, so I thinned it and sprayed.

I think I will go to the local model shop and see what airbrushing paint they have in, and then give that a try. I also need to get some more paint jars for the airbrush, or it could get very wasteful.

njee20

I just mix in the airbrush cup, using a pipette for the paint and a different pipette for the thinners. You don't need much paint generally - much less than brush painting.

ScottishModeller

Hi Bob,

It's a cheaper made version of another airbrush.
See this site - http://www.airbrush-pro.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d27.html

I had a BD 130 for about 10 days and sent it back for more or less the same problems you asare having.

They didn't want to refund me and sent me the next model up instead.

First thing I did was to strip it apart and make sure all the inner surfaces were smooth and the needle went in and out without snagging.

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

NTrain

It was probably a cheap one that i got, several years ago, and with house moves etc, never got it out to use.

kirky

@NTrain
Quote from: NTrain on March 20, 2018, 07:46:36 PM
It looks like an adjuster under the rear cover (around part 15 on diagram). I turned this and the flow has improved.

I think the paint I am using is not really suitable for airbrushing, or I mixed it wrong. It is acrylic paint, which my wife got for rock painting, so I thinned it and sprayed.
I do quite a bit of weathering using my airbrushes. However, I've never ever had any success with acrylic paint in the airbrushes. Far better to use enamel paints thinned with white spirit. You need to have a milky consistency of thinned paint.
Hope this helps
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations