!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills 0-6-0 very poor performer.  (Read 360 times)

Offline Old Crow

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Union Mills 0-6-0 very poor performer.
« on: November 15, 2017, 02:13:05 am »
Having been told these were a great loco, I managed to get a barely used one. Tender drive it is and good and heavy but it's a very poor performer and derails persistently. The powered tender behaves itself well and everything is fine in reverse but forwards, the unpowered loco goes where it wants on points and although it's metal it appears too light to stay on course. Any advice? If this is tender drive, then count me out - all my old Farish locos are running fine - and they pull!

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills 0-6-0 very poor performer.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 06:12:42 am »
My Adams 0395 went through a phase of indifferent performance, including derailing. What had happened was that in trying to shorten the wire between the tender and loco, I had not reassembled it quite right, and the motor 'listed' to one side. When the motor started, you could see the tender lifting itself ever so slightly up on one side, I guess as the momentum of the motor pulled the tender in the direction it was spinning.

Anyhow, reassembling it properly helped, though eventually I went all-out and replaced the motor with a (much quieter) Mashima motor of similar size.

Union Mills locos are quite basic. Disassembly and reassembly shouldn't be a problem for anyone with a screwdriver, a little bit of time, and some basic understanding of how things go together. Union Mills will do repairs too, though often you can find someone on this forum who'll do the same job for less money.

Cheers, NeMo

Having been told these were a great loco, I managed to get a barely used one. Tender drive it is and good and heavy but it's a very poor performer and derails persistently. The powered tender behaves itself well and everything is fine in reverse but forwards, the unpowered loco goes where it wants on points and although it's metal it appears too light to stay on course. Any advice? If this is tender drive, then count me out - all my old Farish locos are running fine - and they pull!

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 09:02:39 am »
If it's de-railing on pointwork then the back-to-backs of the wheels need checking.

it may be worth asking Union Mills if they'll take it back for a service.

Steven B,

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 09:39:29 am »
Send it back to Colin at Union Mills he will service it and return it as new for a very reasonable charge .Over the years I have bought several of his locos and only had one failure which was caused by a mate changing s point under the loco and leaving it running .Colin replaced the tender with the latest two axle drive for a very good price and it was back with me three day later..
Your one was obviously mistreated by the previous owner .
Bob Tidbury

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 10:58:38 am »
I think the key is your comment.

I managed to get a barely used one.

Looks like you have a problem child and probably one that the previous owner has tried to fix, and failed.

It does sound that its not been put back together or modified, and as it's your first Union Mills you may not see the obvious.

Back to Colin is definitely the best idea.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 12:26:08 pm »
Loco-tender coupling too tight?   Be careful about slackening off the screw though, as that's also how the connecting wire is secured to the loco.

I seem to recall there used to be comments about the back-to-back of UM locos needing adjustment sometimes, but even so it should still behave itself on plain track.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 01:37:07 pm »
Loco-tender coupling too tight?

That was my thought too, or the loco wire has been replaced and the new wire is a bit too short so that it could be pulling back on the loco body.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 02:03:12 pm »
Hello

I have a fleet of Union Mills locomotives and they are all excellent.  They stay on the rails and would pull a whole street of houses down!

I agree completely with the posts that suggest sending it to Union Mills.  Their customer service is splendid in my experience.  I also agree that it is likely that something happened under previous ownership.

Once you have it back, I think you will be very impressed by its performance.

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Old Crow

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 03:10:06 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I got this from someone who had three "as new, hardly run in!" At first it was so stiff the wheels on the loco would hardly turn on the rails. I've lubricated and it's better but I will check the tender connection although I've been give two more couplings. Can't return it so I might try Colin; have to say it's put me off tender drive.

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 03:13:14 pm »
have to say it's put me off tender drive.
Don't let it put you off Sir... Nearly all Union Mills tender drive locos run faultlessly, as do most Farish and Dapol (via cardan shaft drive)
Methinks you are just unlucky on this occasion.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Tonye

• N Gauge Society Number: 11231
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 04:17:59 pm »
 :hellosign: I would never buy second hand UM locos , because for the extra ten or fifteen pounds I`d buy new. Colin serviced one of my really old UM locos and I got it back within the week and all for less than £20. It sounds like the previous owner has been tampering with the loco. Not a lot really goes wrong with these ,I have 15, So I would suggest Colin is your best bet .
Tonye

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 06:46:51 pm »
My one and only UM - a B12 - was an ebay bargain as a non-runner.  All that was wrong was the connecting wire had come adrift from the loco. 30 seconds to fix and off she went!  Pretty much mint other than that, and less than half the price of a new one.

@Old Crow don't be put off tender drive. It's a shame you seem to be having a problem, it's rare. These are simple basic but reliable models.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Old Crow

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: Today at 12:44:23 am »
Is there a way to contact Colin the maker as he doesn't seem to have a website. I'm at the end of my patience with my Union Mills 0-6-0. Got hold of a back to back gauge and found the loco wheels were under gauge. A bit of gentle adjustment and the loco part is much improved but the tender just won't take points properly and derails over any sharp turnou, appears to hate plastic frogs and is very track sensitive. I have seen videos of these locos running well over set-track points but mine won't and I don't see anywhere where it says they only run on wide curves or live frog points! It's been a real disappointment. As a newbie, I've made a few expensive errors through inexperience but I'd heard such good things of these locos - maybe I've just got a dud!

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything