!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Free track planning Software  (Read 44522 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Free track planning Software
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2011, 05:35:26 pm »

Thanks Lawrence and Mixy. The backscene will be just in front of the small oval fiddle yard. The reason for such a layout is to be able to watch trains go by on the main line whilst shunting and operating the station on the inner. I'm afraid I don't like seeing main line locos with less than 6 coaches or a decent rake of wagons.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2011, 05:47:58 pm »
Good God man, it's a monster  :o

Offline lesmond

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2011, 05:54:26 pm »
Likely get moderated within an inch of my life for this one, but have to do it:

as the actress said to the bishop  :smiley-laughing:
Malice in defeat; revenge in victory

Offline Lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2011, 06:18:35 pm »
Likely get moderated within an inch of my life for this one, but have to do it:

as the actress said to the bishop  :smiley-laughing:

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :thumbsup:

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2011, 09:56:48 pm »
Not so much of a monster - the baseboard is only 7'6" x 3', but I can get everything I need on it and still run decent length trains on the outer ovals and 3-4 coach stuff on the inner.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 10:35:56 am »
Further to this, although much of the plan has been drawn in set track, only the two 180 degree turns on the inner oval will use that format. Everything else will be flexitrack - I find it is just easier to use SCARM with pre formed section. At the very least, having used SCARM, I have something on paper I can use to devise feeds, isolating sections, uncoupling magnets etc  :NGAUGE:

Offline Geoff

• N Gauge Society Number: 21731
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 09:31:23 am »
OK I am getting to grips with SCARM and to be honest I am getting round the program but I have hit a small problem I am having, rotating my track how do I do this?

I have tried a few times now to set my track at a certain angle but to no avail, please help someone.
Geoff

Offline Mixy

• Author of SCARM
    • SCARM layout design software
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 09:56:38 am »
Hello Geoff,

If you want to rotate particular track, you can place new start point at the desired direction and attach the track to the start point. This is also the way to rotate whole track sections.

To set the direction angle of the start point: Select "Edit" > "New Start point" from the menu the cursor will turn into crosshair. Hold the left mouse button while placing the start point on the plot, move the mouse in the desired direction and release the button when ready.

Greetings,

Mixy

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 10:15:17 am »
Thanks Mixy I will give that a go, I am starting to enjoy the program, a challenge at first but it all seems to be coming together.
Geoff

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 10:42:59 am »
Another quick question, is the snapshot not working as I have taken 3 snapshots and all that appears is a blank, I have tried in bmp and jpg any suggestions?
Geoff

Offline Mixy

• Author of SCARM
    • SCARM layout design software
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 11:09:08 am »
Yes, this is a known issue in 3D Viewer with some graphics cards and/or drivers. I am working to solve it.
You can still make a screenshot by pressing PrintScreen key, paste it in Paint or some other graphic editor and then save it in JPEG format.

m1racleman

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2011, 08:22:02 am »
Having followed this from the start, I have been very frustrated at not being able to get even a rudimentary layout drawn. The program seems to have a mind of it's own, as soon as I click on a length of flexi it is swinging all over the place like a demented snake. I have read and re-read all the instructions and nothing seemed to help. Finally I realised that for some reason the combination of keys and mouse buttons for commands does not match up with what my mouse does. The reason for this is beyond me as it is a microsoft wireless mouse with all functions set to default. I would appear thatthe program will only work with particular hardware unless I am as usual completely missing something. My last session on it was on Tuesday and I spent 6 hours on it and still can't get it to put track where I want it,.
I cant move the layout around on the screen so even see the whole baseboard which was a nightmare to set up as it wont fit on the screen and I cant move it!

If anyone can help me with this I would be so grateful as it looks like everyone else is doing a good job with it and I know it must be a problem my end, I just cant fathom out what is wrong or how to put it right.

Offline Lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2011, 08:36:48 am »
To move the image around the screen hold down the centre button or mouse wheel if you have one.  The flexi does take a bit of getting used to and you have to zoom in and look closely, there is a small vertical line that moves along the length of the track as you move the mouse.  Positioning it is a combination of moving that line along the track length and mouse positioning, left clicking will set the track where that wee vertical line is and you will still be able to move the rest of it until you have used all of that bit up.  Right clicking will terminate that piece of track where the wee vertical line is.

If you look at my shed layout thread, that is how I terminated the tracks in the goods yard so they are all the same length.

When connecting to another piece of track, it is a case of adjusting the angle of the curve so it marries up with the target piece, when it does you will see a green arrow appear, click the mouse and it will join up.  I do find this takes a bit of getting used to and is still a little frustrating.

m1racleman

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2011, 08:40:35 am »
To move the image around the screen hold down the centre button or mouse wheel if you have one.
That was my understanding but it does not work !

What is the default setting for your mouse wheel??

Offline Lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 09:07:47 am »
To move the image around the screen hold down the centre button or mouse wheel if you have one.
That was my understanding but it does not work !

What is the default setting for your mouse wheel??

3 lines at a time

make sure in button config neither of the boxes are checked, in motion I have the speed about half way up the scale

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here