!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: How to make an inexpensive welding simulator for your layout.  (Read 4445 times)

Offline MalcolmAL

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: How to make an inexpensive welding simulator for your layout.
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2017, 02:25:41 pm »
If you go to Poundland, and look at the "Home Essentials" selection, the tee lights I had were in an olive-green cardboard blister pack.  The tee lights casings are white.  Perhaps you may be able to recognise them from this description?
Excellent description Andy, thank you, pleased to report mission successful :)
A combination of going blind and being a low-down bum ! They were on a shelf 1ft above my head jumbled in with the white wax ones, but two assistants and a step-up thingy and we got 'em in the end,  heheee ! And yes when I get home and switch them they do indeed light up yellow  ;D

[OT. as an aside: looks like inflation is catching up with Poundland, large numbers of shelves £2 and £5, and  the 2 for a£1 cupasoups only 3bags in each instead of 4  :( I wonder what we should call them instead  !!? ]

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2017, 09:59:44 pm »
Excellent Malcolm!

Now don't be afraid to take them apart and start experimenting with them.  I've already taken the soldering iron to one of them, and have yellow and orange/red lights flashing from the same circuit!  Now if I buy some blue LEDs and put a white one in there as well....Maybe I'll get my cheap welding simulator after all.

Which brings us back to the main subject of this thread....!

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 12:51:21 am »
Now don't be afraid to take them apart and start experimenting with them.

Which brings us back to the main subject of this thread....!
Yes indeed, and this happened a few minutes after my previous post :) :--

just a mini screwdriver and penknife blade as 'tyre levers' and out she pops, no glue or weld as I had half expected.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 02:14:26 am »
back to the main subject of this thread....!
Good idea! :)
so, the ebay flickering LEDs that I previously linked produced  ( a snapshot from my vid. ,, regret domestic claims on time available , trees falling over, boundary fences needing negotiation u done wanna know  prevent me from finding the passwords etc that I used to have for dropbox and various websites I used to use )
this picture below,
I pray your indulgence to imagine it flickering :)
now updated with a link to a low quality test Vimeo video
https://vimeo.com/237147533

It is a quite brilliant white light ameliorated by being within a 'building'
the building had to be masked to let the light through only the windows ( not the roof and walls lol, quite a surprise) but I forgot that the glazing bars were only thinly printed ! My attempt at printing hanging cobwebs (edit: I mean cobwebs hanging from lights, must see what I can do later for 50's lampshades!)  can be seen in the leftmost window, and illuminated by the demented arc welder in the right two :)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:33:50 pm by MalcolmAL »

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2017, 11:42:31 pm »
(previous post updated)
There is much work yet to be done*, not only with the glazing bars ! but also the demented and furious pace and duration of Mr Welderman's technique !  I think a random delay timer would be good to allow him to rest and have a cuppa.
(workers were allowed to take random tea breaks in the days of yore :) )

*so dont know if it is worth uploading a better quality vid. (got to research compression yet ) but I think it is giving a fair representation of the flicker rate, not too sure if the depth of flicker is suitable to an arc welder ?

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:43:57 pm by MalcolmAL »

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2017, 11:08:24 am »
The best arc weld simulation modules I've seen show a brief set of flashes of the guy tacking the pieces together, then a longer simulation of the actual weld.  Followed by quite a long delay before the sequence runs again.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2017, 01:22:50 pm »
The best arc weld simulation modules I've seen show a brief set of flashes of the guy tacking the pieces together, then a longer simulation of the actual weld.  Followed by quite a long delay before the sequence runs again.
Thanks for your thoughts, yes that makes sense :)

and during the "actual weld" I suppose it would be bright all the time but with variations of intensity perhaps, no dips right down low however brief (else the arc would risk being lost and have to be re-struck ?) , during the hopefully continuous weld.
(I only ever did gas brazing!)
I can see the need of another LED to provide that extra continuum.

That is no problem, I've got 500 for £4 coming from somewhere between Essex and China !!!

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 10:48:12 pm »
show a brief set of flashes of the guy tacking the pieces together, then a longer simulation of the actual weld.  Followed by quite a long delay before the sequence runs again.
I think that may need an Arduino ! (or microP of some sort )  maybe some punched cards and an infernal machine! I'll give it some thought - might be doable with a pseudorandom sequence gen in a shift reg (if they can still be got ?)

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 11:02:30 pm »
might be doable with a pseudorandom sequence gen in a shift reg (if they can still be got ?

a few of these http://cpc.farnell.com/texas-instruments/cd4013be/4000-cmos-4013-dip14-18v/dp/SC08642 one of these http://cpc.farnell.com/texas-instruments/cd4070be/ic-4000-cmos-4070-dip14-18v/dp/SC12808 an your almost there,and maybe use 1 of the flashing leds for the clock pulse
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:19:52 pm by themadhippy »

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 11:33:38 pm »
a few of these
and maybe use 1 of the flashing leds for the clock puls
Oh nice find ! Thanks, didnt think to search, wasnt sure if they'd be still around,,  a few being the operative word + an XOR or few !

I was having a wild fantasy of a zener noise source +lpf for a random function, but that is a good idea on another flickerLED, I think they may have a pseudothingy in them already, I hooked one up to an audio amp (as my 'scope is out of action)  and it was most entertaining :)

Once I have my shuttle experimnt put to bed I'll have to revisit this :)

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 12:03:47 am »
Oh dear,
after trawling through the mire that is youtube to see what has gone before ! I thought to do a search on this forum and found :-
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18367.msg185110#msg185110

looks like he had the micro method all sorted and that I am in danger of re-inventing the wheel, - dont suppose he open-sourced it before passing on / going to the great layout in the sky ?

Offline themadhippy

• Awards

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2017, 01:25:00 am »
And theres this
https://www.cgs.synth.net/other/arcwelder/arcweld.html
Brill find ! I love it !! Who needs an Arduino ?
but this bit reminds me why we moved to 6502s !
"The outputs of the NOR gate (IC1D) and the output of the flicker oscillator (IC1E) are gated together by an OR gate consisting of two diodes,,
:)

"circuit as described above would result in a never-ending welding effect, and that would be as bad as not having any animation at all, so the remaining Schmitt inverter IC1F was added to the circuit to switch the effect on and off periodically"

and I was thinking of an escapmented clockwork   disc   cylinder with stickybacked copper tracks of varying lenghth , , , gedunken :-)    :angel:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:33:10 am by MalcolmAL »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything