!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A4 Silver Jubilee rake - is there maker of a kit or RTR  (Read 467 times)

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
A4 Silver Jubilee rake - is there maker of a kit or RTR
« on: October 12, 2017, 07:55:36 pm »
A colleague and I at Derby Mickleover club run A4's of different modeler manufacturer (Minitrix, Farish and Dapol), and period. My Colleague remembers seeing a rake of Jubilee Coaches possibly from a Yorkshire Club, (Scarborough?). We are wondering if they were scratch built or if there is a kit supplier or dare I say RTR? A search on the net mentions articulated double and triple sets being the norm for a 1930's rake.
Any ideas anybody?

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
  • 2mm Association Number: 4874
    • Awards
Re: A4 Silver Jubilee rake - is there maker of a kit or RTR
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 08:24:21 pm »
You could try looking at the 2mm Finescale layout "Copenhagen Fields" (Google?). I'm fairly sure I've seen a video clip of theirs with one of the matching coach sets behind an A4, but it might have been (say) the Coronation set rather than the Silver Jubilee.

If there's a set of kits, they'll probably know - good luck.

Regards,

Roy

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 08:41:19 pm »
Both rakes of Silver Jubilee coaches are scratch built. The set on The North of England Line were built by MikeJ of this parish using old MK1s and plasticard overlays (and very good they are too!).

The Copenhagen Fields set were made from custom stainless steel etches which I think we're both designed and built by Dr Tim Watson. You could ask Tim about these but I think they were a one off.

The North of England is at Peterborough this weekend and I'm sure they'll be running on Sunday when the layout is set in 1930s guise.

Before (if) anyone asks, I'd love to do a kit for these (they fit in perfectly with my own modelling interests) but I'm a bit snowed at the moment and don't want to get back into a position where I've over promised and can't see the wood for the trees. If they ever did appear a seven/eight coach rake would work out quite expensive.

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
  • 2mm Association Number: 4874
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 09:10:03 pm »
Steve,

A bit off topic, but I'd love to get a pair of 1928 steel bodied, flat sided Pullman BSKs to go with my Farish Metro-Cammells for the Tees Tyne Pullman. You'd think Farish would fill the gap eventually, but maybe not in my lifetime!

Is there a kit or etches for these?

Regards,

Roy

Offline Shiney Sheff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23792
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 09:26:50 pm »
Looking forward to more information about the Silver Jubilee,as I have got all four of the loco's ready to haul the articulated coach set.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:29:05 pm »
Steve,

A bit off topic, but I'd love to get a pair of 1928 steel bodied, flat sided Pullman BSKs to go with my Farish Metro-Cammells for the Tees Tyne Pullman. You'd think Farish would fill the gap eventually, but maybe not in my lifetime!

Regards,

Roy

Good question! I'd suggest trying Bill Bedford (Mousa Models) to see if he has any thing in his range (Silver Jubilees too) or ask Worsley Works if they'd consider doing some. Both would be etches only though...

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 09:32:01 pm »
Looking forward to more information about the Silver Jubilee,as I have got all four of the loco's ready to haul the articulated coach set.

You can get 4mm scale drawings for them from Isinglass Models if you're interested in a scratch build project. I don't have a set for the Silver Jubilee myself but I do have many of the loco drawings and some coach drawings and can highly recommend them.

Offline Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 10:03:09 pm »
Steve,

Regards,

Roy

Good question! I'd suggest trying Bill Bedford (Mousa Models) to see if he has any thing in his range (Silver Jubilees too) or ask Worsley Works if they'd consider doing some. Both would be etches only though...

Bill Bedford has stopped making them.  I have already asked Alan Doherty of Worsley Works to look at making etches and have sent him drawings.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 10:08:36 pm »
Bill Bedford has stopped making them.  I have already asked Alan Doherty of Worsley Works to look at making etches and have sent him drawings.

Has Bill completely left the 2mm Scale market then?

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 10:09:51 pm »

That's what I understand.

Offline nabber

• N Gauge Society Number: 21030
  • 2mm Association Number: 5295
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 10:32:46 pm »
Yes, that's what he said when I tried to order earlier this year.

Neil

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:48:45 pm »
Yes, that's what he said when I tried to order earlier this year.

Neil

Hi Neil,

That is a big shame as he had quite a range and I had my eye on a few of his GNR/GER/GCR coaches when funds improved.

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 10:51:39 pm »
Wow that generated some rapid responses! Well have to start saving up for the deposit to raise the mortgage and hope to live long enough for Steve to get them off the very bottom of his wish list.
Kind regards and thanks from Fred

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 10:55:47 pm »
Going back to the OP query. The Silver Jubilee set was always made up of articulated coaches. From memory: Originally the set was topped and tailed by articulated twins with a triple restaurant car set in the middle (I think they were mounted on non-standard ten foot bogies as well but not sure off the top of my head). However demand was higher than expected so one of the twins had an additional coach sandwiched in the middle quite early on in the service. The set ran until to war when it was put into storage and afterwards (as with the Coronation and West Riding) never ran as a complete set again with the coaches being cascaded into regular services and formations.

Fred, believe me they are not anywhere near the bottom of my own personal wish list but let me actually get some kits into production and selling first.  :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 10:58:25 pm by Atso »

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 11:00:28 pm »
3-3-2

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31