Light weight and traction issues.

Started by Old Crow, October 10, 2017, 04:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickd247

Quote from: Old Crow on October 14, 2017, 12:17:36 AM
My issue is with a GF Mk1 coach with one misbehaving bogie - really doesn't like curves or being pushed. Does run well with a bit of weight but how to add. Ideally I'd like to hide it internally. Can you dismantle these coaches without damaging them?

A couple of other suggestions concerning the misbehaving bogie. As well as the BtoB of the axles, check that the retaining pin is not pushed in too far and restricting the bogie turning and also remove the bogie and check it and the shaft on the chassis that it sits on for manufacturing flash which may be restricting movement.

As far as adding weight, it might be better to add strip weight to the underside of the chassis between the bogies keeping the weight and CofG lower than adding weight inside the body.

HTH

:beers:

Mick

Newportnobby

Quote from: Delboy on October 14, 2017, 11:11:12 AM
Quote from PLD,

QuoteThat's not a weight of the wagon issue, that down to the strength of the coupling springs (Peco wagons are among the lightest yet their unsprung couplings take the least force to couple up...) Answer to that one is to ease the springs - cut about a quarter off the length of the spring, then stretch the remainder to the original length.

Thanks for the info but that seems a lot of fiddly work to have to mess about with the tiny springs on 6 couplings. Think I will stick to adding a little weight to each wagon and solve it that way.

Must admit I have a branch line train running with an Ivatt 2-6-2T and 2 x Farish Stanier brake ends and there's no way I can just back the loco slowly onto the coaches and couple up as the coaches just dance away down the loop :doh: If I would have to mess with the coupling springs I think the finger of God will remain in play :hmmm:

As far as weights are concerned you can buy small fishing weights (smaller than a Fisherman's Friend :D) which could be glued under the chassis so I might try that myself one day.

martyn

Another thing to check on a dodgy bogie-ensure the pin point axle ends are actually in the moulded axlebox-they sometimes don't go right in and distort the bogie shape as well as not being horizontal.
Martyn

martyn

NPN;

'Must admit I have a branch line train running with an Ivatt 2-6-2T and 2 x Farish Stanier brake ends and there's no way I can just back the loco slowly onto the coaches and couple up as the coaches just dance away down the loop :doh: If I would have to mess with the coupling springs I think the finger of God will remain in play :hmmm:'

Fit B+Bs............. :) :)-but the finger of God is easier!

Martyn (!)

martyn

NPN;

B+Bs are one of the remote coupling types, operated by magnets, as also, eg DG couplings-see posts in 'Coupling Review' folder.

They are an exercise in metal origami, but when adjusted correctly require only a light coupling buffer to buffer touch to operate.

PLD has posted quite a lot on the subject, and we use them on James St.

Martyn

Dorsetmike

For weight  I find the easiest solution is "Liquid Gravity" fromvarious suppliers, Amazon, Ebay among others think this Amazon one works out cheapest, I've seen some on Ebay for £9+ but by the time you add £2.40 or so P&P ... ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DLXBD038-Deluxe-Materials-Liquid-Gravity/dp/B00AMB74OC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507988395&sr=8-1&keywords=liquid+gravity

Pour what you need and add glue, super, PVA, epoxy etc; for under a vehicle I'd mix some 2 part epoxy &  mix in some liquid gravity, put vehicle upside down and spread the mix, just keep clear of wheels and axles!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

railsquid

It might also be worth considering new wheelsets, have rewheeled a lot of older stock (not just Farish) with these: http://www.hattons.co.uk/23580/Graham_Farish_379_412_Axles_with_coach_wheels_Pack_of_10/StockDetail.aspx

mattycoops43

Quote from: PLD Answer to that one is to ease the springs - cut about a quarter off the length of the spring, then stretch the remainder to the original length.
/quote]

Sorry to correct you but I have to. Cutting a spring shorter, then stretching it to the original length makes it stiffer. That is just physics, softer springs always have more coils per inch. If you have had a good result from this, I would suspect the spring is just shrinking back slightly so there is some play, in other words the coupling has some wobble in it.

Old Crow

Interesting points guys; it does seem to be a rogue bogie that I've had a good look at. But those coaches are so light you could blow them round. I don't need a lot of weight but just a small square hidden somewhere underneath - certainly rides better.

Railwaygun

Quote from: Dorsetmike on October 14, 2017, 02:53:47 PM
For weight  I find the easiest solution is "Liquid Gravity" fromvarious suppliers, Amazon, Ebay among others think this Amazon one works out cheapest, I've seen some on Ebay for £9+ but by the time you add £2.40 or so P&P ... ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DLXBD038-Deluxe-Materials-Liquid-Gravity/dp/B00AMB74OC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507988395&sr=8-1&keywords=liquid+gravity

Pour what you need and add glue, super, PVA, epoxy etc; for under a vehicle I'd mix some 2 part epoxy &  mix in some liquid gravity, put vehicle upside down and spread the mix, just keep clear of wheels and axles!

do not use PVA - some varieties contain acetic acid which may cause the lead to be converted to lead acetate, causing the ballast to swell!

this may cause disaster if the ballast is in a confined space!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Newportnobby

Quote from: Railwaygun on October 15, 2017, 01:52:56 PM

do not use PVA - some varieties contain acetic acid which may cause the lead to be converted to lead acetate, causing the ballast to swell!

this may cause disaster if the ballast is in a confined space!

Nick is right. I have read this before on the forum, and some of the results have been quite catastrophic!

njee20

Liquid gravity isn't actually lead IIRC, so should be ok.

Old Crow

Thanks guys for the thoughts and links - never heard of "liquid gravity" or the "lead/pva disease before and the link to wheel sets is very useful.
Probably be adding a small square of steel somewhere out of sight below.

njee20

You can also get self adhesive lead strip (for window decorations etc), which is quite handy.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations