!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: SECR H Class from a Dapol M7  (Read 537 times)

Offline colpatben

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27022
    • Awards
SECR H Class from a Dapol M7
« on: October 04, 2017, 05:29:13 pm »
Is it possible to create a reasonable look alike to an SECR H Class from a Dapol M7?

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/h-class.html

Are there any pitfalls, I have never tried to alter an RTR model before.

We never have problems, only solutions!
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Re: SECR H Class from a Dapol M7
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 06:16:04 pm »
I've done an M7 into an ex LSWR T1 class, that involved altering cab bunker and side tanks, also bogie wheelbase, I was able to use parts from an N brass G8 class. a quick glance at your pic shows definitely some cab and bunker fettling and fitting Westinghouse pump, suggest you try and find a reasonable scale drawing and check dimensions before going too far.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 06:42:06 pm »
A quick Google for H and M7; wheel diametsrs OK, overall length M7 34'8", H 32'10.75", so wheel spacing may be slightly different; suppose it depends how you count your rivets just what you can accept and what must change. Absolute minimum has to be cab roof, flared top of bunker and losing the sand box from front splasher, Westinghouse pump fitting at front of side tank as on the pic you posted, and paint the dome bright brass.

You could get something that "looks like" by doing cab and bunker alterations, plus chimney, Dome and safety valves. Front splasher will require some surgery, the M7 model has the sand box built into the front splasher, not all M7s had that.

You should find more photos on the SEMG web site

http://www.semgonline.com/photoind.html#steam

Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 06:58:53 pm »
Something that is very slowly making its way through my work queue...

The back end of the M7 chassis will need shortening as would the rear bogie. Gareth, aka The Brighton, has scratchbuild an amazing version of this class using the M7 chassis and maybe he'd be willing to share some pictures.

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 07:56:48 pm »
Steve, would/could that body be heavier than an M7? Given the lack of pulling power of the out of the box M7, is there any material that can be 3D printed that is heavier than Dapol plastic?
Cheers MIKE

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 09:27:04 pm »
Here's my H Class converted from a Dapol M7. Unfortunately photos of its construction are lost in Photobucket but I did have an article in the NG Journal a few years back documenting its build, just can't remember when. Earlyish 2013.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:31:48 pm by thebrighton, Reason: date »

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 09:36:46 pm »
Different angle.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 02:27:04 pm »
Steve, would/could that body be heavier than an M7? Given the lack of pulling power of the out of the box M7, is there any material that can be 3D printed that is heavier than Dapol plastic?

Hi Mike,

Short answer yes. However there are limitations due to quite an increase in the cost and I personally don't think the detail is as good as some other methods.

I can see two potential options:

1.) Cast the model in white metal.
2.) Cast the model in resin but using a metal filler (i.e. brass particles) to add some additional weight.

Casting in white metal might prove difficult for a home set up but would add much more weight than using metal powder as a filler for resin. The down side of the resin/metal powder route is that the resin becomes much more viscous and might now cast very well. I'll be having a look at options once the H is a little further along but I have other things that have had to take priority in the queue at the moment.

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 02:41:10 pm »
I have an M7 with white metal body, the chassis was a Dapol 14xx when they first came out with a rear bogie replacing the rear pair of wheels, the body was hacked from an ABS Highland 0-6-4T, the prototype was designed by Dugald Drummonds brother Peter hence a distinct family likeness, hacking mainly just involved shortening. Typically not long after I completed it the Dapol M7 was released. Pulls a bit better than my weighted Dapol M7s.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 02:42:43 pm by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 05:01:13 pm »
Here's an option, Alan (Etched Pixels) had his LNER F4 printed in lost wax and cast in brass.
 http://www.ultima-models.co.uk/catalogue/lner-loco.html

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 05:17:28 pm »
Here's an option, Alan (Etched Pixels) had his LNER F4 printed in lost wax and cast in brass.
 http://www.ultima-models.co.uk/catalogue/lner-loco.html

Unfortunately this was the material I was referring to in my earlier post. A quick bit of working out on Shapeways reveals that the cheapest option of raw (unpolished) brass would be around 80 per body (base price from Shapeways and with no mark up from myself) and I'm really not convinced that the detail is there looking at the picture.

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 05:28:17 pm »
It's the old detail against function argument. Without work it won't look so good but it will pull well.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 05:54:51 pm »
It's the old detail against function argument. Without work it won't look so good but it will pull well.

Indeed, that is why I'm investigating casting as an alternative. Should work out as a cheaper price (than brass) while gaining weight and not sacrificing the detail.

To give an indication of the level of detail that FXD can achieve, below is an extreme close up (and very cruel) pictures of the V1 and N2 bodies I've just about finished fettling before proceeding to the painting stage.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 06:10:24 pm by Atso »

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 08:34:17 pm »
Looking good. To be honest having taken a step back from modelling for a year or so I can't believe how out of date I am already with 3D printing. It really is developing at a rate of knots!

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 06:33:03 am »
Wonderful work Steve!  Now, finish that H Class, please!!!  :D

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00