!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: News from DAPOL 2017 club day.  (Read 657 times)

Offline acko22

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
News from DAPOL 2017 club day.
« on: October 01, 2017, 10:59:27 am »
Hi All,

I thought I would give an all over round up of all the news from the open day yesterday as a collective sweep.

The first bit and important news is in relation to the rumours that DAPOL are planning to leave the N gauge market, this is not true the slow down in announcements and new developments  is down to 2 main factors:

1) Prices - With the costs of production going up, general flucation in the pound and the prices that modeller are able and willing to pay.

2) Introduction of NEXT 18 decoder systems - They have been going through the entire range to redo models one by one ready for the introduction of this system.

The main thing that was said is that due especially due to the first financial aspects they are looking at the modelling market more carefully and then in due course when the time is right they will get the models out.

On to the models:

Class 50;

It's back on as promised it was only on hold and it's back on - They felt the time was right now to get it back into production.
There is only one livery announced so far Sir Edward Elgar in GWR green this will be the 2018 Collectors club special.

With it going back into production it has had a rework with the Next 18 system and new motors.

Class 59:

This is still been worked on along with the OO version there has been issues with the bogies which is what has slowed development down. They have not announced a date for this yet but as said yesterday when the time is right they will hit the go button and get it into production.

Class 68:

They had the deco models there yesterday nd these are going into production due Dec / Jan time - Theses will be the first models with the Next 18 system and improved PCB on-board allowing for more functions both for DC and DCC modeller.

Class 121:

These have been reworked for the Next 18 system and are due the same time as the 68s IIRC in 4 liveries:

GREEN Whiskers livery
Children livery
Railtrack
As preserved from Chiltern - This is a special edition for DCC  supplies.

Class 142:

Ok so the much waited 142 is coming and is due Jan the reason for the delay is in my eyes understandable although a pain. In a nut shell the deco samples are good but as some will have noticed there were some issues. DAPOL don't want a repeat of the 68 DRS livery by rushing the models out they would rather delay it a bit and make sure the liveries are spot on.

While it annoys people having to wait a little longer they don't want a repeat of having a good model but the livery been out and then having to replace the bodies as which is one of the more expensive parts of the model to produce. They want them spot on so you can get them out of the box and them be 100%. Which in my opinion is the right attitude.

Battle of Britain:

This is still going to happen they have no dates set as yet. They are reworking things for the Next 18 system and then when the time and market is right they will get it into production.

HIA:

There are some tweeks to do on the tooling but these are minor and should not take to long and the models will be out soon I can't remember exactly when!

MJA:

This is the same as the HI A there are some minor tweeks to be done and should not take long with the models due out soon again memory escapes me of the intended delivery date.

IMPERIUM:

With the introduction of the Next 18 system DAPOL found that current DCC chips are not able to do all the functions that the models will allow so they have a new chip IMPERIUM which will allow for all the functions that the new models to be used, the first IMPERIUM chips will be in the 68s DCC fitted models with chips due on the market early next year.
They are a mid range chip comparable in price to LENZ SILVER IIRC.

UK production:

The current new N gauge models will be produced in China but the new O gauge models will be UK made, having seen the new machine in action and learning how versitile it is compared to the machines of old I wouldn't rule it out in the future. DAPOL have not said things will switch to UK production but with them watching the costs more closely it may be the case that it become more viable (note that's not from DAPOL just an observation).

I would say I felt it was a positive day for N gauge all in with while DAPOL are taking a more measured approach they have no intention of leaving the N gauge market, if anything thing they are looking to improve things even more with the Next 18 System, new motors and internal improvements on the entire range.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:00:49 am by acko22 »

Offline Railwaygun

• N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: News from DAPOL 2017 club day.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 02:16:18 pm »
From
https://groups.io/g/ngs

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 21:30:50 BST
Hello all.

Back from the Dapol Collector's Club Open Day at their factory.

Not a lot new to report, though the big news in N is that the Class 50 is back in progress with delivery expected in Q3 2018.  Andy's comment referred to market/financial conditions being right for it to be put back "on".

All of the existing N-gauge locos, including those "on hold" are being upgraded technically with Next-18 sockets and new circuit boards.  These will be fitted to reissues as well as new products- the first announced being the bubble car with new liveries (three I think but I can't remember which, as well as a new run of one of the green ones, and a special for DCC Supplies which is on their website.

No identities for the Class 50 YET (Andy says still being decided), except that the next N-gauge Collector's model is SIR EDWARD ELGAR in GWR green.

Other news is a new range of high-spec low-cost decoders in 21-pin and next-18 formats only, with pricing in the "early twenties" of pounds.  These will be in the DCC Fitted Class 68 (imminent) and the DCC-fitted 142 (soon) as well as the DCC-fitted bubblecar (early next year I think, though I might be wrong).  The chips will be available separately next year.

No doubt a more accurate version of all this will be posted in the Dapol Digest once the dust from this weekend has settled.

Other news, 5 new O-gauge wagons to be made entirely at Chirk.  I got the impression that backshoring has been the main focus recently, though it was not stated as such.

I hope I have remembered everything correctly.

Les

The "not quite perfect" duds seemed to have a huge number of Britannias this year which seemed to outnumber all other types combined, though this might be a function of my waiting until the scrum had subsided and the position of the Brits on the bottom shelf...  My purchases were a refurbished A4 (I can't think why- I've 13 Dapol A4s already) and a book set with a dud Scotsman and 4 maroon coaches for less than the coaches would have cost me individually.
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline davidinyork

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 02:33:30 pm »
Thanks for that - useful to have a rundown for those of us who weren't there yesterday.

Presumably the pending models, such as the 142 and the next batch of HSTs, will still have 6-pin sockets and it will just be newly-announced models which will have Next18?

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 02:40:03 pm »
Any news of the new Maunsell coaches that were supposed to be "imminent"?
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 06:34:07 pm »
Nice to hear of production returning to UK, even if only currently O Gauge. That should help cut down waits for the slow boat from Shengzin. Lets hope they do the same for their N in due course....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline acko22

• Advertiser
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 12:39:04 am »
@Dorsetmike hinest answer not sure about the mansells to be honest.

As for UK production well I dont think it will be any time soon but with the injection moulding machine been there and running very well.
IF wages continue to rise in China and that joint with the costs of shipping rise to a point that it makes UK production viable then we may see a move. But I dont see that any time soon, although should it happen the I think it DAPOL will be in a good place to continue production with the minimal of down time.

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 09:15:32 am »
Thanks for putting all the news in one place. Shame the Light Pacifics are still on hold. I went ahead and bought a Farish Merchant Navy in the end. I thought that buying from the competition would be a sure-fire to get the project moving moving again. ;)
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 09:52:16 am »
Thanks for putting all the news in one place. Shame the Light Pacifics are still on hold. I went ahead and bought a Farish Merchant Navy in the end. I thought that buying from the competition would be a sure-fire to get the project moving moving again. ;)

So did I, and even posted on the Dapol Digest what I had done but, of course, they weren't bothered ::)

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 12:47:38 pm »
cheers for updates

Offline mickster04

• The sing of the rails, music to my ears
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Links to mikes online presense
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 09:25:07 pm »
I think it's a really good move by Dapol to redo lots of their -not yet produced- models to use next18. Something I hadn't considered before now. I appreciate price fluctuations increase risks, but this decision is actually a forward thinking move which is nice to see from dapol after what seems like a long time of back-peddling and recovering from earlier decisions.

Well done dapol, just wish they'd communicated this so much better!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything