!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Chuck or collet?  (Read 202 times)

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Chuck or collet?
« on: September 27, 2017, 10:18:13 am »
Which do you use and why?

I've always preferred a chuck, I've tried collets but find I can't be doing with having to keep changing the insert to cope with different size bits; added to which the inserts are so easy to lose, you can never find the right size when you need it. OK so I may be an untidy and disorganised worker, but I fail to see any overwhelming advantage of collets.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Chuck or collet?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 10:30:34 am »
Chuck.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 10:31:10 am »
I ... find I can't be doing with having to keep changing the insert to cope with different size bits; added to which the inserts are so easy to lose, you can never find the right size when you need it.

But isn't that missing the point of collets? They're more reliable at accurately holding a given bit over a long period of time, so it can be used to do the same job over and over? If you're constantly changing the bit, then you aren't using a collet for what it's designed for?

I'm by no means an expert here though -- just dragging back stuff from my school days!

Cheers, NeMo

Offline JanW

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 11:06:06 am »
For the lathe or for the mini drill?
Well actually it doesn't matter, choose the right tool for the job  ;)
On the lathe it depends on the diameter and shape of the workpiece but if it fits a collet I always use one.
In the minidrill I always use the chuck for drilling. For end mills, slitting discs etc. I use the collets.

Edit: forgot to add that the bits vibrate a little when I use the chuck of my Dremel minidrill. Collets run absolutely true.

Jan
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:10:45 am by JanW »

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 06:14:43 pm »
If its small hobby tools your using I guess its not that critical. But in general (Drill/Mill) a chuck is for drilling and Colletts for machining.  However it has to be pointed out that colletts are more accurate and grip the tool/cutter better and are less obtrusive than a chuck.

They are also used with lathes but this depends on the type of machining application, as more commonly the stock being machined is held in the chuck and not the tool, that is of course if a vertical milling table is not being used.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here