!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Labelling circuit wires  (Read 350 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Labelling circuit wires
« on: August 23, 2017, 07:08:31 pm »
I am now in the process of 'tidying up' all the wiring under the layout. I wanted to make it obvious which wire(s) powered which circuit or item and, as there are only so many colour combinations of wire, I hit on the idea of using various combinations of small cable ties to mark each circuit/item, e.g red/blue/green ties = shops circuit. I thought that if I write down the combinations along with the circuit, I had a record which would come in handy when a circuit/item stopped working, (which will inevitably happen  :doh:). Whilst looking for coloured cable ties, I came acoss these -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-CABLE-TIES-with-Write-on-labels-Organise-your-leads-and-Cables/152133297808?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
so promptly ordered some.
I will now be able to colour code and label each and every circuit/item. A fair bit of work, but in the event of 'the inevitable', I will be able to trace the wiring no problem.  :thumbsup:
Well I think it's a good idea.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
Re: Labelling circuit wires
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 07:19:22 pm »
I'm just about in the same position where I'm gonna wire up my track to my control panels. I've decided to use numbers rather than colours to identify wires or groups of wires. I bought a bunch of wire numbering idents a while ago. Can't remember where from unfortunately but they are readily available. There are so many coloured wires it would be difficult, IMHO, to match coloured idents to all the wires.
So for me its numbers with a detailed record of what the numbers mean.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:36:39 pm »
Now he tells me!   :P. I have just looked on ebay and there are plenty to be had, but seem to be adhesive backed - would the adhesive stay 'sticky' for a long time? I suppose I could always stick the numbers onto the cable tie labels  ;).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 07:51:43 pm »
I quite like the little plastic numbers and letters you slip onto the wire.

This kind of thing  (not saying this where I got mine from, I've had my set for years)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kabelmarker-kabelmarkierer-Numbers-Label-Cable-Label-Clip-Cable-Colour-/172790380054?var=&hash=item283b1bf616:m:mh3CkvVd2M-1Fbiku8xatGQ
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 07:53:32 pm »
Hi Dannyboy
The number labels I've got just slide over the ends of the wire. I bought mine some time ago but I can't remember where I got them. I'll have a look through my old orders tomorrow.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 08:33:16 pm »
Having taught electronics for much of my working life I know the resistor colour code rather well so I tend to use that for colour coding cables, a dab or two of the required colour paint(s) at joins and terminations.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:45:13 pm »
lx tape -  sharpie, job done

Offline jstormes

• N Gauge Society Number: 25543
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 03:58:24 pm »
Like DorsetMike I like to use resistor colour codes, but I use coded sleeves with numbers colours so when my brain starts to fail (sometime next week) I can still read the numbers.

There are a lot of suppliers out there, but not many on ebay, just google cable markers.

Hellerman make nice sets of clip on markers if you have already wired your layout - about £5.60 for a pack of 200 with free postage from RS. They also do individual numbers so you can get extra 1s and 0s.

Online JonHarbour

• N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 11:12:59 pm »
For those working with Arduinos, Raspberry Pis and I2C where you need Hexadecimal identifiers, I found this on E-Bay:

Cable Markers 0-9, A-F and +/-.

This seller has all sorts of stuff that might be useful. Worth a look!
Still planning a layout...

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here