!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Chassis for van kit?  (Read 622 times)

Offline Jonathan Prince

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Chassis for van kit?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 01:26:26 pm »
They look amazing, especially the planks. I think I need to weather mine - never done it before but yours look like a good example to follow.

It's a shame I'd already built it before you mentioned moulding. It's odd they're rare - I got this one as a freebie only a couple of years ago at an exhibition.

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 02:50:56 pm »
Glad you like them. The darkness between the planks is just the old paint job - a really dark grey - over which I'd brushed on the light grey without loading the brush too heavily. You could get much the same effect by giving your wagon a wash of diluted black and wiping off any that doesn't sink into the gaps.

The moulding idea isn't mine, and I don't know if it can be done with an assembled van or whether it needs the kit parts. If it has to be the latter then we'd better start looking out of an unassembled kit on the usual sale sites.

Offline Dancess

• N Gauge Society Number: 4344
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 03:07:04 pm »
Guess I'm lucky, I have 4 ready assembled and a complete box of 3 kits from the NGS.  :)
Planning layout in attic

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 04:57:44 pm »
Guess I'm lucky, I have 4 ready assembled and a complete box of 3 kits from the NGS.  :)

Now that's good news. Perhaps you, Atso, and the NGS could get together to produce some new masters...?

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 09:04:05 am »
I wouldn't mind a couple more and it seems I'm not alone. Would the moulding process harm the paint job at all...?

I asked about this kit at TINGS and was informed that it still exists. Therefore I personally wouldn't be comfortable asking the society for permission to cast some copies as I'm sure that this would put them in an awkward position (and I know if I were in their position what the answer I would give would be). Therefore I think it would be best to be patient and wait for them to get things moving again.

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 09:25:02 am »
I have some van body's that look identical to those in grey with LMS on them. I understand they are from Gra models, being a resin body. I also have some china clay wagons from them, and they were all picked up for a song at a show.

Gra models do have a website, although IMO it could be set out a lot clearer to showcase their products much better.

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 10:48:34 am »
I have some van body's that look identical to those in grey with LMS on them. I understand they are from Gra models, being a resin body. I also have some china clay wagons from them, and they were all picked up for a song at a show.

Gra models do have a website, although IMO it could be set out a lot clearer to showcase their products much better.

You probably mean these:

They're not quite as sharp as the NGS kit but with a bit of cleaning up they should still be pretty good. Graeme is still 'working' on LSWR/SR cattle wagons and a 48-foot LSWR carriage body but he seems to need a bit of encouragement to keep going.

I asked about this kit at TINGS and was informed that it still exists. Therefore I personally wouldn't be comfortable asking the society for permission to cast some copies as I'm sure that this would put them in an awkward position (and I know if I were in their position what the answer I would give would be). Therefore I think it would be best to be patient and wait for them to get things moving again.

I agree completely. Even if a new body was required, the NGS should be involved in approving and overseeing the project. If the kit's not a lost one after all then waiting would be the best option.

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 07:28:59 pm »
I have some van body's that look identical to those in grey with LMS on them. I understand they are from Gra models, being a resin body.
Not quite...

The NGS kit in question is a Midland Railway design. The GraModels resin bodies are LSWR types. Compare closely the pattern of the outside bracing is completely different and the LSWR roof (should be) flatter...

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything