2017 Tour de France

Started by Newportnobby, July 02, 2017, 09:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red_death

The only oportunity for Uran is the TT, but Froome has a massive advantage of going off last in that he can get updates on Uran's progress and pace himself accordingly.

Furthermore it is only a relatively short TT at 22km(?).

The final stage is processional so you can forget that.  Today's stage is flat - it would be an incredible surprise if Uran was able to get anywhere near to closing the gap today.  Not impossible (think of some of the strange stages in the past where cross winds have split the peloton), but highly unlikely.

njee20

There's an interesting article here about Uran's chances against Froome in the TT. Basically past performance suggests it's possible, but highly unlikely.

As Mike says Froome has the psychological advantage of chasing Uran, and the tactical advantage of being able to get updates, all Uran can do is go out as fast as he can. You can bet it'll be the TT of his life regardless!

Today will certainly be more interesting if it's windy, but given Sky usually initiate the echelons and the splits they form it's hard to imagine Froome ending up the wrong side of any split, unless mechanicals or crashes play a part, which I really hope they don't, for anyone.

Newportnobby

Quote from: njee20 on July 21, 2017, 11:08:41 AM
it's hard to imagine Froome ending up the wrong side of any split, unless mechanicals or crashes play a part, which I really hope they don't, for anyone.

All things are possible (just ask Marcel Kittel) so nothing can be taken for granted. If, for example, Uran sets a blazing time in the TT, despite Froome, going last, knowing what he needs to do it may mean him taking risks he wouldn't normally take. I'm sure Froome would agree with anyone who voices the opinion he doesn't have the time advantage he would like to take into the TT.

njee20

Absolutely, he's first to admit that, and I'm sure Uran will be taking all sorts of risks on Saturday, that's all to Froome's advantage though. Should be great.

Mito

As a spectator sport today Le tour was a disaster. Thank goodness for the breakaway group. I'm sure there must be some collusion between the team directors. There was no competitiveness at all within the main group. Almost as if they were out for a Sunday ride. I wont be watching the TT tomorrow, to me that will be more boring than today, and Sunday, forget it, I've better things to do.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

daffy

Watching in fits and starts today I quite enjoyed the scenery of France and the eventual winner was a worthy one, in a roundabout way ;).

The TT will be well worth a watch, but I may be out on my own bike trying to get my ischial tuberosities bedded in to my new saddle (or is it the other way around :hmmm:) once the sunshine has dried the roads.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

red_death

I thought today was more interesting than it should have been ie it was expected to be a sprinters stage and the breakway made things more lively.  It was never going to be a GC battle as it would be suicide to put in a huge effort ahead of the TT.

Personally I like watching the TTs - ultimate test against the clock.

Newportnobby

Quote from: daffy on July 21, 2017, 05:57:41 PM
I may be out on my own bike trying to get my ischial tuberosities bedded in to my new saddle (or is it the other way around :hmmm:) once the sunshine has dried the roads.

I bet I'm not the only one who had to look up 'ischial tuberosities' :dunce:
Yeah - I recently bought an aftermarket gel sleeve for the saddle of my bike but the weather/TdF means it hasn't been tested yet

njee20

Quote from: Mito on July 21, 2017, 05:46:50 PMI'm sure there must be some collusion between the team directors. There was no competitiveness at all within the main group. Almost as if they were out for a Sunday ride. I wont be watching the TT tomorrow, to me that will be more boring than today, and Sunday, forget it, I've better things to do

There's no reason for the group to chase, so they do take it easy, why wouldnt they?

Tomorrow will be great just to watch the final three riders off! Sunday is always ceremonial, but is worth it just for the montage of footage at the end!

Mito

I wasn't suggesting that the main group chase the leaders. It was the total lack of competitiveness between the teams. As a televised sport it becomes a spectator sport in that those watching should get value for their watching. That didn't happen today. They are paid to compete  and didn't fulfill their contract today. There have been many examples of competitiveness in the tour and spectacular aerial shots of both countryside and cyclists. Compare that  with today. Tactics there may have been, but tactics are not necessarily good competition.   
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

njee20

Not quite sure what you mean? What did you want to happen? There was some great battling within the breakaway, that Boasson-Hagan got ahead on the roundabout was awesome, the bunch were so far down there was literally nothing left to race for.

It's not about teams, tomorrow's a big day, all the favourites are saving themselves. It was very obvious how much the GC contender teams were Protecting their riders at the end - Sky on the front, AG2R right behind and Cannondale Drapac off to the left, making sure nothing happened.

Mito

The breakaway group was great. It was those behind that bored the pants off me. I'm not really interested in who wins, I just want to see an interesting competition and I didn't see it today, apart from the breakaway group.

njee20

But surely you can understand why there wasn't competition within the main field?

Mito

Quote from: njee20 on July 21, 2017, 10:16:54 PM
But surely you can understand why there wasn't competition within the main field?

Tactics. In this case it did not make for a visually entertaining stage. That has been my gripe all along. At least it's all over now bar the shouting.
Remember La Vuelta 19th August to 10th Sept. Enjoy the great Spanish countryside and we'll talk tactics later. :)  :beers:
Cheers

Newportnobby

Quote from: Mito on July 22, 2017, 05:22:30 PM

Remember La Vuelta 19th August to 10th Sept. Enjoy the great Spanish countryside and we'll talk tactics later.

Bring it on. Another 3 weeks I'll be lost in TV land ;D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations