Do you still use ... ... ...

Started by Dorsetmike, June 02, 2017, 02:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

teapot, milk jug, sugar basin, cup and saucer or (especially if living alone) do you bung a tea bag in the mug, add boiling water, let it brew, then add milk straight from the plastic supermarket container, sugar from the packet or maybe an airtight jar? I could not however copy my step daughter's method of putting tea bag, milk and sugar in the mug while waiting for the kettle to boil

Other things that have vanished from my life are butter dish, cut glass jam pot, two tier plate for fancy cakes and many similar one time "essentials "

Is it part of the transition from family living to solitary, or just can't be bothered as age advances, no "appearances to keep up"

What do you miss, or have you also abandoned the "nice" things?
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

austinbob

Don't miss any of the stuff you mentioned. We're teabag in mug, plastic milk bottle user, butter from the plastic container type people. Saves on the washing up.
Uncouth l know but probably common these days.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

broadsword

Also paper plates and plastic cutlery , no washing up,
ok apart ftrom eating meat .

JanW

I remember the butter dish we used with chrismas and perhaps easter when I was young (in the seventies that was...) but in everyday life we used margarine from a plastic container.
But I'm curious what the jam pot was used for? Did you buy the jam in a glass pot and pour it in another pot that could not be sealed properly?
I had to google to see what a jam pot looks like, never seen one here in Holland.

Jan

daffy

Mug, milk in first, water over a tea bag and let it brew. Saves the scum on the surface that I find I always get if I add the milk last.

Don't use alchohol though. :o

Also, I offered some magazines and books to my step-son last week - "No thanks, I'm all digital these days." He's in his mid-forties so the future is bleak for the paper printed word as each successive generation are ever more digitised.

But I still use books. A bit. ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

keithfre

Quote from: JanW on June 02, 2017, 02:45:09 PM
I had to google to see what a jam pot looks like, never seen one here in Holland.
If you think that's weird, Jan, check out 'slop bowl' - translated in a language course book I used when I started learning Dutch several decades ago as 'kommetje om de thee in te doen dat in de kopjes is achtergebleven'  :)

njee20

If we have guests we still use a tea pot and milk jug. Have a sugar bowl, but don't know anyone who puts sugar in tea, so it's a moot point! Still use mugs regardless though. If it's just us at home then definitely just teabag in mug and water on top.

Milk before water is heresy, as is adding sugar!

Cake stand... yep, got a couple of those (my wife likes them). Butter dish... there's one in the house, doesn't get used for butter though.

scottmitchell74

Still use a butter dish!

Still love my printed word. I'm 43 and have always loved and will always love newspapers, books, magazines. Hopefully their will always be enough of us around to warrant the printed word.

Coffee guy here: I like all the little rituals associated with coffee drinking, but I can go fancy or slum...as long as I have coffee in my mouth 3x a day.

No "smart" phone for me. I like to keep what tech I use separate.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Malc

I have about 4 cups of tea a year, but about 4 cups of fresh coffee a day. We do have and use a butter dish, but use the recyclable milk jugs. Don't use sugar but have a bag somewhere in case of visitors.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

njee20

Oh yeah, we do put sugar in coffee, that's what there's a sugar bowl, you'd think I'd have remembered that!  :dunce:

broadsword

I had to fire my butler , he complained about me stirring my tea
with a pencil.....

Yet_Another

Tea pot in use multiple times daily, but milk out of the bottle. Tea cups hardly ever used, but breakfast cups get more use. Mostly mugs, though.

I have several butter dishes, but I've recently converted to Lurpak from a tub.

The cake forks still get used occasionally, too.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

austinbob

Quote from: broadsword on June 02, 2017, 03:32:29 PM
I had to fire my butler , he complained about me stirring my tea
with a pencil.....
Quite right too. A spoon handle is much more effective!!  :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Intercity

We have a teapot, but it collects dust these days, my wife isn't a tea drinker (shes American and doesn't understand the whole tea thing), I usually do the teabag in the coffee mug method, however wifey got these little Kcup for the Kureig thingy that seem to work ok.

And don't use soap to wash the cup, something else she doesn't understand!!

Newportnobby

I don't drink tea but sisters/Mum do so they get the bag in the mug with boiling water added then milk. I drink about 12 or more coffees a day (defannicated) which can be either fresh or instant. Sugar is kept in an airtight container and topped up from the bag when necessary (not that sort of bag - I'm single)
I have a full 6 piece BHS Country Vine dinner service in a cupboard which includes butter dish, milk jug, teapot and sugar bowl (one day I'll get round to flogging the lot on Fleabay), and a host of plastic microwave stuff for doing poached eggs, baked potatoes etc which I never use. I have not used the grill in the 7 years I've lived here as I use 'toasting bags' in a toaster. Bread is kept in the fridge having sucked all the air out of the bag before putting it there and butter is the spreadable sort used straight from the tub. Somewhere I have a toasted sandwich maker and a slow cooker. Clutter. I have too much clutter. Maybe I should have let the ex take more than she did :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations