!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NOE 544R's Work Bench  (Read 176 times)

Offline NOE 544R

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
NOE 544R's Work Bench
« on: April 25, 2017, 05:27:53 pm »
 :hellosign:

Welcome to my new work bench! I am, by some consideration, an amateur at modeling, so why not set up a work bench for my learning! So what will this workbench consist of?

- Wheel cleaning
- Fixing the issue of over oiling
- Taking models apart
- Detailing
- Weathering
And much, much more!

This is by no means a how to guide, but instead a record for myself and maybe some advice for fellow ametures out there!

So, let the adventure begin...

Offline PeteW

• Awards
Re: NOE 544R's Work Bench
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 05:34:53 pm »
Waiting expectantly... :)

Offline NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 05:55:48 pm »
Class 04 -Oil removal and partial stripping (no, not that kind of stripping  :P )

Tools used:
- 4mm fiberglass hard brush
- 2mm fiberglass hard brush
- Pair of tweezers
- Magnet
- Phillips screwdriver
- Flat head screwdriver
- Tissue
- Fairy Liquid
- Warm water

Just before we get into it, I was stupid enough to forget to take a before hand picture, and pictures of wheel cleaning. I promise I'll show this soon!

The subject (taken after completion, it looked much worse before):

It's safe to say that some people's idea of lubrication is impressive. Purchased for only 30 around 2 years ago, it has sat in its box until las weekend. Although it was a beautiful runner is was clear from the oil covering the body that it was in desperate need of a clean!

So, let's begin the challenge....

As thought, the model was swimming in oil! Because the loco had not been run, little oil had dried or burnt onto the pickups. However a clean was still required.

Upon removing the pickups, it was apparent that oil was everywhere. Whilst I could, and probably should have dismantled the gears I decided against it (I'd rather practice on a model I don't like before). The oil around the gears and chassis however was removed using the tissue and hard brushes.

Back to the pickups:

As you can see, oil had even made its way between the plastic plate which sits in the middle of the pickup plates. Again an easy clean which could have become problematic if left.

So you would assume that there couldn't be much more oil left right? Wrong, it was everywhere!

Again, the lower plate was covered and showed signs of burnt oil.

Apologies for forgetting to photograph this, but to remove the oil a tissue was used followed by the hard brushes to remove the dried/ burnt oil.

Once all the oil had been removed, the chassis was reassembled:

Before the body was reattached, it was given a wash. Fairy liquid and warm water bath did the job!

So, there is my first attempt! Although I will revisit the loco in the future, I believe the work done has benefited the model. Stay tuned for more!

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 06:19:45 pm »
Thanks for this. And you can't include too much detail! I have two locos bought from eBay (and another on the way) so I expect there'll be much of this kind of cleaning/maintenance required. And I ain't not never done it before :no:

Offline NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 06:22:33 pm »
Thanks for this. And you can't include too much detail! I have two locos bought from eBay (and another on the way) so I expect there'll be much of this kind of cleaning/maintenance required. And I ain't not never done it before :no:

It's a learning curve! Taking it apart is easy. It's getting it back together   :smiley-laughing: Of the 5 second hand models I've purchased only this one has been bad!

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 09:17:24 pm »
And there was me thinking the warm water and washing up liquid was for you to scrub in before commencing the operation :dunce:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here