!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Secr c class wheelbase  (Read 191 times)

Offline JanW

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Secr c class wheelbase
« on: April 24, 2017, 08:43:21 pm »
Does anyone know the wheelbase of the Wainwright secr C class?
I was wondering if it could be a start of a GWR Dean goods build.
Would be a shame to buy such a nice model and only use the chassis but the new Farish wheels are very nice and the result would hopefully be a bit more refined than the Union Mills one.
Maybe combined with the n brass etches?

Probably 2020 before it is in the shops though..

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
Re: Secr c class wheelbase
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:36:12 am »
Hi JanW,

According to my copy of 'A Pictorial Record of Southern Locomotives' (ISBN 0 86093 443 8 ), the C class has a locomotive wheelbase of 8' by 8'6, and a driving wheel diameter of 5'2. The tender has a wheelbase of 6'6 by 6'6 and a wheel diameter of 4'.

This makes the wheelbase of the C class the same as the new (and old Poole versions of) Farish 4F and Jinty locomotives. Not having a set of drawings for the Deans Goods to hand (I do have some somewhere though!), I suspect the wheelbase  would be around 7'3 by 8'3 - I know that the GWR seemed to favour that wheelbase for several of its 0-6-0 wheel arrangements and didn't they use something like 7'6 by 7'6 for their tenders?

I seem to remember an article in the NGJ a few issues back where somebody used the N Brass etches along with a new Jinty to make a Deans Goods. I think that predated Union Mills's release.

Personally, I'd have a go at detailing up the Union Mills version simply because it will had the correct wheelbase; their newer tender drives also seem to be much more controllable than the old ones. Well my D16/3 is, I've got no need for the Deans Goods so can't really comment on that one but I'd be surprised if it wasn't as good. I do agree with you about the wheels though but there are ways to make them look better, just see some of Dr Als work!

Anyway, hope the wheelbase information helps.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:38:33 am by Atso »

Offline JanW

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 12:01:20 pm »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info, no easy solutions I'm afraid.
The dimensions of the N brass version are based on the wheelbase of a Farish 4F but I suspect the new loco drive version wil not fit in a Dean Goods body. Jinty wheels will be a bit small (4'7 and the Dean Goods needs 5'2)
And if I use the old version I'm better off with an off the shelve Union Mills one I suppose.

Not sure if it will be worth the effort....  :hmmm:

Jan

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 12:12:33 pm »
Well I would still suggest the Union Mills route.

However, the Jinty wheel can be swapped over fairly easily with most other split frame farish model's wheels - but not with the 4F's as the Jinty is driven from the middle axle and the 4F from the rearmost axle; you'd have to move the gear and mess around requartering everything! The 2MT's wheels at 5' could be an option and you'd gain a lovely set of traction tyres which would help no end with haulage!

Farish can be convinced to part with spares from time to time if you speak nicely to them. From memory a replacement set of driving wheels would set you back 12-15 assuming they've got any available for sale.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here