!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: TALES OF DOOM FROM MY WORKBENCH  (Read 10665 times)

Offline paulprice

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: TALES OF DOOM FROM MY WORKBENCH
« Reply #180 on: September 20, 2017, 02:25:25 pm »
I don't know who will find thus update more horrific, Atso for seeing what I have done to, or claimed to be LNER locomotives, or me for the horrible realisation that I actually own and have built some.

Yes I know my pain far outweighs that of Atso, but you know me I will just suffer in silence, while he will just blub in public like a big girlie  :'(  :D

Anyway back to the point, in the fleet I have a few LNER locomotives, of RTR the rest cobbled together by me, sometimes I run these at exhibitions if only to illustrate to viewers the poor machines other lines have, which normally produces great laughs.

One of the loco's I have is a Farish V2 bought many years ago, probably when I was very very drunk, I know this loco has many faults but I must have seen some redeeming feature so its been in the fleet for a while. Finally she has got a coating of grot to take the eye away from some of the worst features and some real coal in her tender, but is she too clean?

I think she will okay at the head of a van train, as the 7 LNER teaks I have in stock are a bit of a strain for her, but for now she seems to run well so.....to make it worst.......

I also have this pair in the collection, that I managed to knock together to resemble a B1, for those of you out there who don't know what a B1 is, its just a very poor copy of a Black 5.

One of these sits on a old farish class 5 chassis the other on a A3 chassis, they have both received like all my loco's some weathering and a bit of real coal in their tenders and again get a running every so often on Foster Street, but it gets a lot worst.

As readers may have guessed from my previous posts I kind of like 6 coupled freight locomotives (4F's especially) and have a few in the fleet. I don't know about you chaps, but even though an Express locomotive gliding along a line is a nice thing, the slow clanking goods train is what really gets my safety valve lifting. As Atso reads what follows he will turn red  :veryangry: :veryangry: I have a couple of the LNER 6 coupled freight loco's in the fleet that I have knocked together powered by Farish chassis.

They are both the prototypes from 2 batches I knocked up to satisfy requests from a couple of chaps, yes that is a scary thing that people want some of the things a ham fisted modeller like me produces, but more so that there are people like me who think they sort of look like the prototypes. Just to really scare you all, there are 3 of my J39's and 8, J38's out there somewhere, be afraid be very afraid.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 02:59:33 pm by paulprice »

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2017, 06:23:04 pm »
Ah some proper locomotives at last! I'm not a fan of Thompson though so you can say what you like about the B1s (although they're not far off the Black Fives for performance - not bad for a third rate designer having to cobble locomotives up out of spare parts!)!  :P

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2017, 06:25:23 pm »
Proper locomotives, don't make me laugh  :P

Somebody at the last exhibition asked me why the coal level was so low in my J39, I said it was prototypical, not to show hard working loco, but more that the real railway did not fill the tenders as the coal would be worth more than the engine it was in  :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:28:24 pm by paulprice »

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2017, 06:29:10 pm »
Ah some proper locomotives at last! I'm not a fan of Thompson though so you can say what you like about the B1s (although they're not far off the Black Fives for performance - not bad for a third rate designer having to cobble locomotives up out of spare parts!)!  :P

I would love an ivatt Atlantic, but keep it secret

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2017, 05:59:57 pm »
Got this little lot nearly ready for Wigan

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2017, 09:01:29 pm »
You do realise the show is only on for 2 days, don't you? How many locos are you actually taking? :worried:

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2017, 09:31:44 pm »
You do realise the show is only on for 2 days, don't you? How many locos are you actually taking? :worried:
I'm just making sure the Foster Street fleet is serviced and then I will make a selection from the roster then.

I usually take around 30 loco's to shows

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2017, 09:24:31 am »
I think its time for me to order some Pattern Makers dowels but who should I get them from?

I suppose I will need some plywood too, now where could this all lead to?

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2017, 10:52:15 am »
Nice collection there Paul. I don't blame you for taking so many locomotives to a show, a good variety can be shown and if (heaven forbid) there are any failures, you've got a good selection to keep things running with.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #189 on: October 11, 2017, 01:44:56 pm »
Nice collection there Paul. I don't blame you for taking so many locomotives to a show, a good variety can be shown and if (heaven forbid) there are any failures, you've got a good selection to keep things running with.
Thanks Atso

Because of the way the storage yard is set up, before I even look at double heading on the layout I need nearly 20 locos on the layout, and I have a bit of a thing for double headed trains.  :-[

I only had two failures all weekend at Wigan, one was a new version Farish Scot that decided to throw its valve gear (fiddly but easy to fix). The other was an older Duchess that had an issue where the valve gear is attached to the cylinders (easy fix when I get round to it)  ???

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: October 14, 2017, 03:47:52 pm »

Great to see some of your masterpieces at Wing today, Steve.  And discuss/compare kits, approaches to different classes.  I guess my own inspiration for taking the saw and knife to anything comes from the late Bill Oldroyd who in the late 60s/early 70s was a master and concocting reasonable representations of anything in OO.  The old Triang L1 becoming a 2P was an easy example.  Even the tender was spot on in body shape for the LMS version of the 2P

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: October 14, 2017, 07:04:39 pm »
Great to see some of your masterpieces at Wing today, Steve.  And discuss/compare kits, approaches to different classes.  I guess my own inspiration for taking the saw and knife to anything comes from the late Bill Oldroyd who in the late 60s/early 70s was a master and concocting reasonable representations of anything in OO.  The old Triang L1 becoming a 2P was an easy example.  Even the tender was spot on in body shape for the LMS version of the 2P

It was good to meet you too Colin and I'm glad that you enjoyed our chat. I'd love to see some of your conversion work sometime...

...but you do know you've posted in Paul's thread and not mine?  :-[

Online joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2017, 07:11:43 pm »
Being mistaken for Paul must be very flattering for one of you ?

:D

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #193 on: October 14, 2017, 07:28:17 pm »
Being mistaken for Paul must be very flattering for one of you ?

I thought it was unusual, with someone being nice to me  :'(

Online joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #194 on: October 14, 2017, 07:51:00 pm »
I get the impression that the beer tent was good/well patronised at Wing ?

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here