!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: TALES OF DOOM FROM MY WORKBENCH  (Read 8038 times)

Atso, Roy L S and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline paulprice

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
TALES OF DOOM FROM MY WORKBENCH
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:40:11 am »
Well I suppose like many of us, I have got quite a number of un-finished or hardly started projects filling up my workbench and taking up valuable train playing time.

So I set myself a couple of targets.....

1. See how many I can complete before the Wigan show
2. See how many new projects I can resist starting
3. Post some details here as a precautionary tale, so that proper modellers can see how not to do things like me.

So be warned, I think this thread may lead to nightmares and or fits of laughter as you monitor my progress........now where to begin  ???

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: TALES OF DOOM FROM MY WORKBENCH
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:54:51 am »
now where to begin?

Start at the beginning, go on to the end and then stop :D

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:58:01 am »
Looking forward to this.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:19:07 am »
Thats one of the problems with this hobby you start at the begining BUT CANT STOP its  like a virus very infectious and almost impossible to cure,luckily.
Bob Tidbury

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 10:41:52 am »
now where to begin?

Start at the beginning, go on to the end and then stop :D

Should I "begin the begin"

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 10:42:18 am »
Looking forward to this.  :thumbsup:

Bealman your easily amused :)

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 10:54:10 am »
Now you sound like Mrs B..... but bring it on!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 11:17:25 am »
Now you sound like Mrs B..... but bring it on!  :thumbsup:

You will be sorry you said that......... :P

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 12:05:47 pm »
Looking forward to the laughter. Will try to avoid the nightmares! :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline paulprice

• Awards

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 10:33:31 pm »
Having finally got home from work, I decided it would be a good idea to get the old camera out and take some pictures of some of the project on the WORKBENCH OF DOOM........ :'( :'(

Some of these projects have been on the go for quite a while now, and progress on them has been a little slow to say the least, but its time for me to knuckle down and make some progress.

For those of you, of a delicate disposition the following pictures you may find disturbing.  :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:

So lets start with the terrible trio, they started out as a way of seeing what I could do with the old Black 5 Farish bodies. One had a severely damaged chassis, with most of the valve gear missing, one had snapped cylinders and one had its chassis taken for another project.

So what to do with them?? In an attempt to make something useful or more unique, I did a little research. After a while I came up with a couple of ideas for loco's you don't often see.

1. A Black 5 with a self weighing tender.
2. A Caprotti Black 5 (the LMS actually had one just before the awful formation of BR, well in my head it did)
3. A Stanier Mogul, (I had a Crab body I was altering too), though I think Dr Al's version will be a far superior model.

Number 1 BLACK 5 with self weighing tender

Not a great deal of progress on this one, the snapped cylinders are in the process of being fixed, they don't quite sit right yet. Then I will file away some metal from the top of the firebox to make here look more like an actual Black 5. There will be a lot more needing to be done before I get to the tender, at the very least I need to get the chassis running a little smoother (even running would be an advantage)

Number 2 BLACK 5 Caprotti variant

All the damaged valve gear was been removed and the old body attacked with some of my weapons of modelling destruction, and the old girl had shed a lot of weight. I have various bits to fabricate, so like "Steve Austin" its time for the rebuilding to begin.

Number 3 Stanier Mogul (Black 5 and Crab mash up)

This one is more of a mongrel than a Mogul, its an old Black 5 body, with a bit of Crab thrown in and an old Standard 4 chasis (the only use I have for BR loco's). The tender is a very heavy white metal one I have had for years. Dr Al is making a model of one of these, and I would like to say great minds think alike but that would be an insult to Dr Al and his far superior work.

As you can see I have a lot of work to do on all three locomotives and I have not even listed the number of on-going projects queuing up for attention on the workbench.

So if the above has not given you cause for nightmares your a braver person than me, for gods sake don't look under your beds and everyone knows THATS WHERE THE REAL NIGHTMARES HANG OUT
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:59:56 pm by paulprice »

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 09:16:41 am »
Coming soon, rolling stock tales of DOOM  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 09:58:22 am »
All those Crew built things! Arrggghhh!!!! There are too many, we're doomed! DOOMED I SAY!!!!!  >:D

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Honestly though. Paul, those are looking really good. All the best with getting them finished.

Something that might make you a little happy... While I was in the Forest of Dean last week, I picked up a very interesting book on the LNER. It turns out that the North London line enjoyed some running rights over the GNR London lines to Potters Bar. As I'm modelling a fictional location somewhere south of Potters Bar, I really need to include a representation of this. In reality this service would have almost exclusively been worked by Jinties, originally using the NLR four wheelers and starting to use bogie stock by the 30s. However, I'm sure I can stretch reality a bit - only for varieties sake, you understand...  ;)

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 10:28:26 am »
All those Crew built things! Arrggghhh!!!! There are too many, we're doomed! DOOMED I SAY!!!!!  >:D

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Honestly though. Paul, those are looking really good. All the best with getting them finished.

Something that might make you a little happy... While I was in the Forest of Dean last week, I picked up a very interesting book on the LNER. It turns out that the North London line enjoyed some running rights over the GNR London lines to Potters Bar. As I'm modelling a fictional location somewhere south of Potters Bar, I really need to include a representation of this. In reality this service would have almost exclusively been worked by Jinties, originally using the NLR four wheelers and starting to use bogie stock by the 30s. However, I'm sure I can stretch reality a bit - only for varieties sake, you understand...  ;)

It won't be long before the Crimson curse reaches your stock box.....hahahahahahaha (insert evil laugh here)  >:D >:D >:D

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 10:57:49 am »
It won't be long before the Crimson curse reaches your stock box.....hahahahahahaha (insert evil laugh here)  >:D >:D >:D

(Everything below typed in jest!)

Naw, anything Crew related will be kept black in keeping with their true place in the pecking order. That said, even that might be too good for them as their were some far superior Doncaster produces that, for some strange reason, were relegated to black in the 30s (some weren't even lined - oh the shame of it!!!)... In the event I have to have a Crew monstrosity in lined black, then I'll weather it so heavily that it may as well be in plain black livery... The LMS will know it's place on my layout (insert even more evil laugh here!) >:D >:D >:D >:D :P

I have visions of recreating a lovely photograph I've seen of an dirty Jinty hauling some ancient four wheels being overtaken by A4 Silver Link hauling the band new Silver Jubilee set - just as things should be - I chose not to mention that quite a bit of the LNER's pre-grouping stock was probably little or no better than the NLR four wheelers as it doesn't back up my position!!!  :P :P :P

Joking aside, I do have a soft spot for the Jubilees in crimson, I just don't think I could justify something that large on a suburban service. Now classes 3F, 4F, Jinties, 2P, Fowler 3P and maybe a Stanier Mogul I could stretch to if I pretend that the running rights extended to some local goods services as well...

So the LMS will happily (honest!!!!) be making an appearance on my layout. If I could rewrite history a little more, I could pretend that the Southern worked the goods transfer services northwards (as well as the LNER's southwards workings) and have an excuse to run a Southern 0-6-0T or two (although if that had happened, I doubt they would have worked further than Hornsey)...

Anyway, enough banter! I'm looking forward to seeing these progress, especially the mogul which I've also got a soft spot for.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here