Mayan Calendar

Started by polo2k, December 23, 2011, 02:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polo2k

Whats all these news stories floating about that the end of the world is nigh??

Google the phrase "december 24th end of the world"

apparently someone, thousands of years ago, clocked off early on a friday before finishing darwing the Dec 2011 calender. He didnt come back on the monday morning, so not the tin hat brigade are out in force.

I hope its all wrong, ive got a layout to build and ill never be done by then!
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

poliss

Apart from getting the year wrong, (it's supposed to be 2012, not 2011), it wasn't predicted by the Mayans to be the end of the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_Long_Count_calendar
The sad thing is that a lot of people will actually believe it and give away everything.
"To render December 21, 2012, as a doomsday event or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in.""

MikeDunn

Oh ffs ...

The current Mayan calendar will finish.  Big deal.  (Thanks to Poliss for the link explaining this in detail)

The Christian / Julian calendar will also finish shortly.  Does this mean we have the 'End Of The World' every December 31st ?

Now - can we get off utterly stupid conspiracy theories and back to model rail ?  Thank you ...

Mike

PS - apologies for the mini-rant but as an amateur astronomer, stuff like this really p****s me off ... !

polo2k

Oh dont worry, I dont believe it all, I just hope my new Kato stuff gets here first :D
Cheers
-Ash-

Lawrence

Quote from: poliss on December 23, 2011, 03:15:22 PM

The sad thing is that a lot of people will actually believe it and give away everything.

Well if they have any Kato track or spare rolling stock I'll have it as I will still be here  ;D

Tank

Chris

Quote from: poliss on December 23, 2011, 03:15:22 PM

Well if they've got any N gauge to give away I'm willing to take the chance :smiley-laughing:

longbridge

Well with so many political changes and screwballs with their finger on the nuclear button plus crazy weather and earthquakes happening all the time they may be right, frankly I couldn't give a toss so long as its all over and done with quickly.

In reality I do think the world is hell bent on self destruction but there is no geezer on this planet that knows the date or hour, I downloaded and watched the Youtube Movie on the subject and there was some good points made, I think the ones that made it would have been better off putting their efforts into something more interesting like a new version of Debbie does D---------s.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Lawrence

Quote from: Tank on December 23, 2011, 07:17:39 PM
Quote from: Lawrence on December 23, 2011, 04:22:54 PM
Well if they have any Kato track....

No, it's mine!  :D

Oh I'm coming over all Bannockburn again, your tanks can't hurt me, I have plaid and a skean dhu to protect me  ;D

polo2k

Quote from: oldrailbug on December 23, 2011, 07:37:47 PM
Well with so many political changes and screwballs with their finger on the nuclear button plus crazy weather and earthquakes happening all the time they may be right, frankly I couldn't give a toss so long as its all over and done with quickly.

In reality I do think the world is hell bent on self destruction but there is no geezer on this planet that knows the date or hour, I downloaded and watched the Youtube Movie on the subject and there was some good points made, I think the ones that made it would have been better off putting their efforts into something more interesting like a new version of Debbie does D---------s.

ORB, that last sentence was nearly the death of my laptop, must remember to put down coffee first!
Cheers
-Ash-

Newportnobby

I think the ones that made it would have been better off putting their efforts into something more interesting like a new version of Debbie does D---------s.

Tut Tut :smiley-laughing: :thumbsup:

polo2k

Cheers
-Ash-

longbridge

Nice to see the abbreviated title brings out the naughty boys, wasn't game to fill in the dashes Mike, trying to keep my nose clean on the forum, pleased your laptop is OK Polo :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

MikeDunn

I think the ones that made it would have been better off putting their efforts into something more interesting like a new version of Debbie does D---------s.
Well, I'm told there is a sequel ... ! :-*

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations